LSF @ 5 - Celebrations

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: LSF @ 5 - Celebrations

#46 Post by Samu-kun »

Five years? Pah, plenty of time left for me. ^_^

See? I just posted on Lemma when it's 1:20 AM and I still have 20 more pages of reading in a undergrad pre-law course. Ah well. I guess 20 pages isn't too bad.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#47 Post by mikey »

DaFool wrote:...some statistics seem to say that on average, the length of time that someone who starts playing visual novels... , until they stop ..., is roughly 5 years. The next milestone is 10 years, and it's assumed by then that more than half of the people here would have moved on to other things... that's life.
To be honest though, that's the case in more or less every hobby. I can't se this not be true for kite flying, role playing, watching telenovelas... It's not that it's anime, or VNs - it's that after a certain intensive time, you will have exhausted the bulk of what a hobby can give you - in fact you would probably have to be mentally challenged to experience the same joys and first-time enthusiasm everytime a new lifestyle anime comes along. Especially exchanging opinions and keeping up with the mainstream will inevitably get tiresome after a while, since there is just no outcome.

Of course it's a bit different when your hobby is active (creative), the span can then probably go on indefinately. So maybe my most intensive times as VN player are gone (doesn't stop me from enjoying a VN from time to time), but as a VN maker, I'm still fine... at least that's what I think :) If you are being creative, you leave something behind and that gives your hobby a purpose, and something you can look back on, and for me this is both a reason as well as motivation to continue.
DaFool wrote:NNL the guys who gave us Mizuiro. I also realized these folks, as well as the folks at insani, are of the same generation of anime fandom (the ones who still remember elite-fansubs). We're in our late twenties now, which means getting busier which means retiring from some hobbies.
Early thirties, for me :) But I'm not sure it's because things are getting "busier". I, for one, feel much more free than when I was a teenager. I can make my own decisions and free up my own time. Also, I'm not convinced that your good life ends by taking some responsibilities. In fact, you have much more control over it than ever before, so if you want to have your hobby, you can be even more flexible. I just don't believe that if you drop your hobbies and what you like doing, you'll magically become adult. My hobby is very important to me, regardless of how people consider game making, I just wouldn't be happy without it. My wife knows this, she supports me, and in turn I'm inspired and motivated... so if you love your hobby and it doesn't consume you (which is always bad), I see no reason for dropping it. You can love and play Pokemon, and still be very professional at work, as well as passionate in your family life.

So... I just don't think pessimism is justified. Often it's more a question of personality.

M12
Veteran

#48 Post by M12 »

Yeah, sometimes hobbies can't satisfy for a long period. When I was a teenager, I loved Shounen manga like Yuu Yuu Hakusho, etc. Now, I'm not interested in Naruto or One Piece.

But having said that, I believe passion is different to hobbies. I have a passion for writing and basketball, and so, ten years later, I'm still very interested in both :D.

Anyway, nice birthday cards everyone :D! Here's another:
bday.jpg
Hope you recognise the characters :mrgreen:!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#49 Post by mikey »

M12 wrote:But having said that, I believe passion is different to hobbies. I have a passion for writing and basketball, and so, ten years later, I'm still very interested in both :D.
For total linguistic confusion, "interests" can also be added. :)
jk, I just wanted to say that it's not growing up if you give up what you like.

Mr. E
Regular

#50 Post by Mr. E »

An opportunity to show some of the N&L artwork and also wish the forums a happy birthday at the same time? How can I resist? :mrgreen:
Attachments
N&L-HappyBirthday.jpg

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#51 Post by Vatina »

M12 wrote: Hope you recognise the characters :mrgreen:!
Sure, it's nice to see them again :D

The thing about the 5-years span can sound depressing, but a lot of new members have also come to forums - so they should be able to keep it alive for another 5 years, right? :P
I also like the point about hobbies lasting longer when taking a creative approach to them. I think this is very true, as I believe this is the case for myelf too.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#52 Post by lordcloudx »

mikey wrote:To be honest though, that's the case in more or less every hobby. I can't se this not be true for kite flying, role playing, watching telenovelas... It's not that it's anime, or VNs - it's that after a certain intensive time, you will have exhausted the bulk of what a hobby can give you - in fact you would probably have to be mentally challenged to experience the same joys and first-time enthusiasm everytime a new lifestyle anime comes along. Especially exchanging opinions and keeping up with the mainstream will inevitably get tiresome after a while, since there is just no outcome.
That's alright. People IRL always say I'm mentally-challenged anyway. :twisted:

Anywayz, 光-chan says congratulations to lemmasoft with this custom logo and hopes you still remember her too. (semi-animated gif to follow later)
Attachments
lemmalogo.png
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#53 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

akemicchi
Veteran
Projects: Magicians of Delphine, Panaderia: Ensaimada, SweetTooth!, XOXO Droplets
Deviantart: littlebabyshoes

#54 Post by akemicchi »

Five years? That's pretty disheartening... :< But I agree with what the others have said; if you take a more interactive, creative approach to your hobbies, I think they'll last much longer. I know I'd get really bored, really fast if I didn't do anything creative with my hobbies.

Also, happy (almost?!) birthday, Lemmasoft! <3

lawl, working character design of one of my game characters. :P
Attachments
Happy 5th birthday, Lemmasoft Forums. xD &lt;3
Happy 5th birthday, Lemmasoft Forums. xD <3

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#55 Post by mikey »

lordcloudx wrote:That's alright. People IRL always say I'm mentally-challenged anyway. :twisted:
I'd go with a new slogan in that case - Special games from a "special" game maker. :)
Well, I got my share of disrespect based on the fact I like anime and games... but maybe that's part of the charm.

EDIT: Forgot to mention my favorite quote by Elliot Carver: "The distance between genius and insanity is measured only by success."

Anyway, it's the 25th... happy birthday. It's a really nice place on the internet, this.

I'll check the IRC this evening and tomorrow as well, I'll be available the whole Saturday. Hope to meet a lot of people. See you there.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#56 Post by lordcloudx »

mikey: that's a really nice quotable quote. I think I'll use it as a comeback next time.

Anywayz, animated Custom Logo time
http://animerd2k2.net/hikari.swf

How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Mikan
Veteran

#57 Post by Mikan »

There's people chatting right now, so join people, join~

How to connect to the channel (for windows users):
1. Install mIRC. (http://www.mirc.com/get.html)
2. Open mIRC and fill in the blanks (or skip to step 3)
3. Click link: irc://irc.freenode.org/renpy .
4. Talk!

You can change your nickname by typing: /nick yourn_new_nick
You can join renpy channel (if you happen to accidentally leave it) by typing: /j #renpy
You can register your nickname so that only you can use your nickname by typing: /ns register password e-mail
(additionally, you can log in by typing /ns identify password
and sign imposters offline by typing /ns ghost nickname password)
You can bold text by highlighting your text and pressing ctrl+b
You can italicize text by highlighting your text and pressing ctrl+i
You can do an action by typing /me does action (shows up as: Your_nickname does action)
Last edited by Mikan on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#58 Post by PyTom »

You can also join the channel by going to

http://java.freenode.net/index.php?channel=renpy

assuming you have Java on the machine.

We'll be holding a voice chat today @ 4:30pm EST (20 minutes from now), using skype. Join the IRC channel and we'll invite you to the voice chat.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#59 Post by PyTom »

We've switched to using teamspeak.

http://www.teamspeak.com/?page=downloads

The server is lemmasoft.renai.us. I'll keep it running for a while.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#60 Post by lordcloudx »

aww... looks like I'll be gone for most of the day. Enjoy yourselves everyone.