Gaming Questions

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
M12
Veteran

Gaming Questions

#1 Post by M12 »

I'm assuming there are quite a few gamers here. I came across a couple of game related questions, so I thought I'd share them here:

- What's your greatest/nerdiest achievement in a video game?
- What's the dumbest thing you did in a video game?
- What's the worst game you ever played?

That's all :mrgreen:!

risingbamboobanana
Regular
Projects: On hold, sharpening skills.

Re: Gaming Questions

#2 Post by risingbamboobanana »

back when i used to play video games a lot it was mostly MMO's so...

1) probably hitting level 99 and finding loopholes in the system to log in multiple accounts (i so did not H4Xx0r!)
2) stripping down from my armor and running around kicking people, getting killed for it and doing it again. hovering around the cities and KSing all the noobs.
3) uhm, that's a tough one...i tend to not remember the really bad ones. oh well i really didn't like runescape or maplestory, but they're not necessarily 'bad'....
A little birdy in the sky
Dropped a poopie in my eye
I did not scream, I did not cry
But thanked the Lord that cows don't fly!

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

Mmm... My best achievement so far is probably is my obsession with DDR. *reminds himself to post some videos up later*

The worst video I've ever played must be Obi-Wan for Xbox. That... Was truly a horrifically bad game...

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Showsni »

1. I'm quite proud of my Donkey Konga bongoing skills. And unlocking every trophy in Supper Smash Brothers Mêlée was quite a feat.

2. Hmm... I don't know. I don't think there's anything I can recall offhand.

3. I don't know... I generally don't dislike things easily. Though some people would say some of my games are pretty bad... Like Wand of Gamelon and Faces of Evil...

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#5 Post by Counter Arts »

Okay....

1) In MvC2, I did a reset with Jin.
2) In sanfransico rush, thought that a "Do not enter" barrier meant shortcut and crashed full speed into it.
3) Well... there was this lawnmower man game on DOS... such a bad game.
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by musical74 »

Now THIS is my kind of thread LOL

1) Hmmmmmm probably beating Final Fantasy in the old NES <it is SOOOOOO much easier in the playstation remake!> for greatest achivement. In the NES version if you have two people targeting a critter and the first one takes care of it....next player swings at the air WOOOHOOOOO <got real annoying, actually...>. As far as nerdiest accomplishment...spending weekends playing a game because I *just had a little further to go*.

2) Dumbest thing ever done? NUMEROUS times, OK save spot up ahead so I can just heal then, never mind I'm at a low HP level...and I get attacked, the critter gets the drop on me, and BOOM game over...

3) Worst game I played would be Granstream Saga for the Playstation one...the mechanics were bad and it was *you are gonna lose everything important to you*....no thanks, I'l stick with games that aren't so bleak.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

M12
Veteran

#7 Post by M12 »

Hey thanks for the replies. They were interesting =D.

Wow musical74, you finished FF1 on the NES? That's crazy man! That game is pretty damn hard...

If anyone can finish Doom on nightmare, I'll take my hat off to them.

M12
Veteran

#8 Post by M12 »

I'll just answer the questions too:

- Finishing Quake I and Quake II on nightmare, etc. Nothing special really.

- Trying to play an RPG in Japanese, when I don't know Japanese.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#9 Post by lordcloudx »

Star Ocean 2 - beating Iselia Queen with Claude at level 255 solo (still died a couple of times from her air slash)
Beating the battle tournament with Rena

for platformer games... beating Mario on the famicom, I guess.
for fighting games, I can do the three-kicks 99 hit combo with wolverine on Xmen vs Streetfighter.

Final Fantasy VII first playthrough Sold the only two chocobo lure materia early in the game. No more chocobos for me.

Although... there were lots of funny moments where I ninja-roped straight into the water or threw a holy hand grenade only to have it bounce right back in front of me in worms 2. (that game provided a lot of lulz.)

A sailormoon fighting game for the ps1. It had ok graphics but scratch that! I just remembered Mortal Kombat 3 for the game gear.

just watch this video and you'll see what I mean.
warning for violence? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oitgm60Gw-E

m12: I can! with IDDQD
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#10 Post by Vatina »

This one is fun to read ^^

This one is really old - I once played all the way through Crash Bandicoot 2 without dying or saving. I didn't have a memorycard at the time.... lol.

There are lots -_- One of them is probably playing Lord of The Rings with my brother, and continously killing him because I kept lowering bridges on top of his head and such. Whoops.

I don't really remember these games very well. I once played a game called 'Dragon Slayer' or something like that. Was really stupid... I did complete it though. I'm sure I have tried things that were worse.

Mirena
Regular
Completed: Vortex

#11 Post by Mirena »

Greatest/nerdiest achievment:
An old one is completing the pokedex on one of the pokemon games. xD Other than that there isn't much.. but I'd like to get every object in We <3 Katamari, and complete the monster list in Tales of Symphonia (I only miss 4 or 5.. so irritating!).
Yes, I like completing pointless lists and then looking at them. :mrgreen:

Dumbest thing done in a video game:
I can't really think of something right off the bat.

Worst game:
Spyro the something (DS) and Donald Duck something (GBA)

Ren

#12 Post by Ren »

Best achievement was probably getting everything covered in Dracula X...Dumbest thing..passing an hour making Raiden jump in mid air when he's naked just to stare at the hilarous result(no really, who would have thought he'd jump with his hands on...ahem).

Worst game....worst game...I remember it was French, for PSX, and I gave it away ten seconds after realizing it was probably sent by the devil.It was *that* bad.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Adorya »

I guess that great achievement can only be felt when you are young

I was offered a NES console and several games in my tenth, only with them Megaman I and Xanadu, the only games I couldn't finish at those times, one being stuck on a level, the other being too much difficult and horrible gameplay...until several years later I discovered that pushing the select button after beating bosses allowed to choose their weapon and unlock stages area (I guess it's a mix between achievement and shame for not reading the manual)

Now as an adult, one of the biggest achievement was online on MMORPG, with an alliance of 3 guilds and 60 players we beaten the boss of the last expansion pack of Everquest at that time, Plane of Power, in an epic dungeon crawl of 6h of play. It was 5 years ago and I am now retired from online gaming, but I will never forget this peak of teamwork and emotion.

The worst game played is as usual one with no manual, no help and it was on Apple Macintosh : Dark Castle. Insane gameplay, insane graphics and sound. Never finished it and will never try it again.

Jake
Support Hero

#14 Post by Jake »

I think my greatest videogame achievement was probably shared with a team of five or six people - completing a huge OpFlash co-op mission, all the way from crawling up a beach landing under fire through several Stephen-Segal-worthy action moments, taking out a squad of T80s with carefully-laid satchel-charges, LAWing APC after APC, shooting the pilots of Hind gunships through the cockpit glass, murdering hundreds of poor innocent Russian conscripts who probably had huge families we were depriving of fathers and husbands. Anyone who has played the game and realises quite how easy it is to die (and that co-op missions don't generally include re-spawning) will understand why this is a particular achievement. It took us several hours!

Most embarrassing... hmm. I once got my team knocked out of a tourney ladder in an early early version of Counter-Strike because they all decided to storm a gap at around the same time I'd decided to grenade it and forgotten to tell them... this was before the days of TeamSpeak, so the most warning they got was the in-game graphic... ;-)

I honestly couldn't say what the worst game I've ever played was. I know I've played some pretty terrible games, and games which are bad for many reasons. The one that sticks in my head in particular was pretty recent, and I suspect it's a long way off the worst ever. That's Return to Sector 9, by Pug Fugly games. Which I remember as bad just because it's a fairly promising concept, totally let down by insisting on two totally separate frames of reference for controls, so your left hand was effectively working in an entirely different coordinate system to your right. :/
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

M12
Veteran

#15 Post by M12 »

Cool those were some great responses.
Jake wrote: Most embarrassing... hmm. I once got my team knocked out of a tourney ladder in an early early version of Counter-Strike because they all decided to storm a gap at around the same time I'd decided to grenade it and forgotten to tell them... this was before the days of TeamSpeak, so the most warning they got was the in-game graphic... ;-)
XD!!!
lordcloudx wrote: m12: I can! with IDDQD
Actually, cheats don't work on nightmare mode! If I complete that difficulty someday, THAT would be an achievement.
Adorya wrote:I was offered a NES console and several games in my tenth, only with them Megaman I and Xanadu, the only games I couldn't finish at those times, one being stuck on a level, the other being too much difficult and horrible gameplay...until several years later I discovered that pushing the select button after beating bosses allowed to choose their weapon and unlock stages area (I guess it's a mix between achievement and shame for not reading the manual)
I did something similiar, kind of. Hm, I think I'll post about my stupidest moments in gaming on my blog sometime.