Contest: Who Wants to Create a Superheroine?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

Contest: Who Wants to Create a Superheroine?

#1 Post by Nafai »

Couldn't put it under J-Stuff but since many of you are writers, you guys might be interested in this. Deadline is the end of the month - multiple entries are accepted.:

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=140485

Most contests in the comic book business are geared toward artists. Shadowline is bucking the tide and creating a contest geared toward writers!

According to Shadowline editor, Kristen Simon, “I’d been hoping to see a super-hero book with a strong female lead to act as a counter-point to our popular Bomb Queen series, but none were forthcoming. So I decided to come up with a contest to create a super-heroine for the 21st Century.”

The character will be 100% creator-owned as all Image and Shadowline books are (Trademark and copyright to be shared by writer and artist). The winning entry will be featured in their own self-titled three issue mini-series to be drawn by fan-favorite artist, Franchesco! (She-Dragon, Green Lantern Corps Quarterly) and back-end profits will be split between the creators.

Contest regulations are listed below. Neither Image nor Shadowline can or will be responsible for synchronicity (similar ideas appearing at the same time).

No feedback will be provided on submissions, just a confirmation of receipt.

Contest will be divided into three parts as outlined below, deviation will result in immediate disqualification:

Round One:
Contestants e-mail a BRIEF one paragraph story synopsis by January 31, 2008 to: superheroinecontest@gmail.com. Stories/concept must be original with original characters. No pre-existing characters may be used unless owned by contestant.

Round Two:
Ten semi-finalists will be chosen from all entries received by the above date and notified by e-mail. They will then be required to turn in 5 (five) fully scripted pages by February 29, 2008.

Round Three:
The five finalists will be announced and their synopses published on March 10. Readers will be encouraged to vote on their favorite.* (Writers are strongly advised to direct traffic to the contest via message boards, myspace, etc…every vote counts!) Polls will close on April 4, 2008.

The winner will be announced April 28 with initial concept art/character design by Franchesco. First issue will be solicited with a cover date of November, 2008.

* This contest is run by Shadowline. Newsarama in no way influences the outcome.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

Re: Contest: Who Wants to Create a Superheroine?

#2 Post by Samu-kun »

I don't suppose a moe neko-mimi who works as a live-in maid by day and a crime fighter by night will really be popular with the 21st century American crowd, huh...

Damn Americans and their barbaric tastes!

Sailor Kitty
Veteran

#3 Post by Sailor Kitty »

I doubt Shadow Star in superschool (comic I'm writing) would be drawn in manga style if it was accepted, so... Meeeh...
script is 85% done.
Title is now "Running through water"
and will hopefully stay that way.
Need a poem/lyric?
I'll write one for ya!
http://blog.sanriotown.com/sailorkitty_:hellokitty.com

Air-Dragon
Regular

#4 Post by Air-Dragon »

Sounds interesting,wounder whatthe winnig cannadiate would be? Maybe ill try me luck, i got a few ideas.
Out researching with Jiraiya.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

Considering the contest ended last month, your luck's not going to do too well. :)