Here goes nothing...tell me I'm NOT crazy

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

Here goes nothing...tell me I'm NOT crazy

#1 Post by musical74 »

Here's the deal...I never finisherd college, dropped out due to finances, but also because at the time I didn't really have any focus. Well, I have a focus now - I want to help people, always have. Whether that's criquiting a game, helping someone through a problem, just listening...I want to help people.

Now....I want to go back to college, FINALLY get my degree...I just have two major problems. Finances haven't improved any, so will have to look into grants and financial help. But the other is posychological and a hard one to overcome. I'm 33, going to be 34 in a few months. Going to feel like an old geezer going to college...heck, probably some of the TEACHERS will be younger than I am! I know what I want to get a degree in, just....for lack of a better phrase, feel like maybe I'm too old to go after the college degree.

Pretty much, just letting the Forum know I'm intending to go back to college and hopingt I haven't totally lost my mind in doing so...
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Re: Here goes nothing...tell me I'm NOT crazy

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

Ok, I'll tell you. You're NOT crazy. I had some classmates in their 40s in law school. No one really discriminated against them. In fact, they were given more respect because due to their experience and outlook on life, they were more focused and usually performed better than us 20-somethings in the exams.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Hyperguy
Regular
Projects: H.EXEC

#3 Post by Hyperguy »

Sometimes the only person in the world who knows you like strawberry pudding is none other than yourself.

Now! Let's juxtapose that with being 34. Of course you realize it, but that doesn't mean other people will notice, let alone care.

Being 34 doesn't mean you can't go to college, and it doesn't mean that you can't graduate and get a degree.

Maybe it'll mean that you'll feel awkward in some situations because of your age. So what? If it is awkward, then it'd also be so for the people you're interacting with as well. I mean, think about it. What does a 23 year old really have to say to a 34 year old? Communicating might be awkward for them too.

But what's really important is that...

You want to help people and that you want to graduate. That's primary. Thoughts like "I'm too old to graduate," or "I wonder what I'll cook for dinner tomorrow night," are secondary and in my opinion, useless and nonconducive to your primary goal.

Ren

#4 Post by Ren »

Well well, I usually don't talk about this because it's tied to something in my life that was a bit painful and I'm really reserved by nature but...whatever!

I interrupted Higschool studies due to some personal and family problems at the time and now I'm in an evening course at a school to prepare myself for college as well.I'll be able to be there in a year or so, at the age of 27(and now the whole forum knows my age!...Kind of, I'm 25 )
The thing about being more focused is true and believe me, I'm in class with a 17 and a 19 years old(apparently a lot of people drop out of school here due to some problem or the other) and we get along really nicely, so don't worry!

Either we're both crazy or you're not.I choose the second option :P

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#5 Post by Otaku Dash »

There is nothing wrong in trying to pick up studies.. and let me tell you that you shouldn't worry about that.

It isn't that far on age but still Real life problems happen to everyone... I myself spent 1 year improving my math grades for uni, and in my first year I got a major depression due to my ex-grilfriend dumping me for someone else in the middle of my exams mixed with various family problems made me stay still for almost 3 months in recovery (not hospital mind you.. just lacking strenght to do anything)... wich is why I'm still on my first year of uni making over the subjects I left behind. I'm 20 going to 21 this year and supposedly I should be at year 3 by now... still people are friendly and understand even if the age part isn't so far.

So don't worry.. as long as you have your dreams and work for them, I'm sure people will understand and help.. and if some lame prick tells ya something bad, just ignore them... I tell you it's not worth the bother to listen to those kinda guys/girls :) Just go for it.. we all belive in you ^^
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#6 Post by Blue123 »

You're never too old to learn. The moar you know... the cleverer you will be!

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by DaFool »

My lab partner for one of my core courses was almost 40.

At least he didn't think about parties all the time, unlike my dorm mates.

As long as its understood that your social life does not have to belong in the locale of a dormitory, it should be alright.

People will just think you're a post-grad anyway.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

Two things :
- while people in my last computer school were the same age, the college I went before had "older" people. Not many, sure, but enough to not make it a unique case. I admit it was a bit strange at first, but then what? Plus, an adult in school means it was a choice, so it has a bit of nobility to it ^_^
- on the other hand, I totally understand you as I'm scared to go to driving classes now, knowing there'll be only 16-18yo young'ns there @_@;...

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#9 Post by Vatina »

My brother goes to college, and he tells me that there are a lot of older people in class as well. Older than 40 sometimes. Of course it helps that he's studying history.... but still :P

So you probably won't be the only one anyway.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#10 Post by chronoluminaire »

Go for it! It's awesome to know what you want to do in life, and to have a clear next step en route to that. Really, it is - loads of people really don't know what they want to do, or if they do, they don't have any idea how to go about getting it.

You're not crazy - you've got a superb opportunity. Go for it! (And best of luck with finding grants and finance and suchlike!)
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Blue123
Veteran
Projects: Composer on... something(s)

#11 Post by Blue123 »

Oh yes, and this reminded me of a Gandhi quote I saw a while back:

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Mahatma Gandhi

M12
Veteran

#12 Post by M12 »

Back when I was in uni, we had a student who had a daughter. A mum who goes to school! But she got along with everyone just fine. That's the great thing about college. Everyone (or at least most people) are mature enough to not discriminate.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#13 Post by Deji »

When I was in my first year of this career (my 3rd attempt, so I'm the oldest one in my class), we had a classmate who was a 50 years old mom. She was older than half of my teachers! She was really friendly and we'd often talk to her, curious about her life experiences and also looking for advise. Sadly, she dropped the careere due having some blood illness, but she started a new last year in Photography. I'm really happy for her =3

If you want and can go to college, do so! Learning new things and having a more solid background for your profession is always a plus ^^
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by musical74 »

Wow...I'm quite surprised at the # of responses - this is great!

Thank you all for alleviating my biggest worry - that I was *too old to go back to college*...finances will be difficult <but there I can get help>....and thank you all for your responses :D It's good to knhow that there are *older folks* that go back to college :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

M12
Veteran

#15 Post by M12 »

No problem! I think you'll do just fine, music man =D.