How Can I Get A Computer For My Games?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
writinggg
Regular

How Can I Get A Computer For My Games?

#1 Post by writinggg »

Recently my family members broke our only working computer and I cannot get another one. My mother and sister have a lot of issues/the computers keep getting broken by my sister due to torrenting and carelessness (only the screen is broken but to be honest, the computer had become a virus filled brick anyway) , so my mom says that she will not get another one. Besides my classes/auditions , I need a computer so that way I can start my game projects again, but NO ONE is hiring in my town. What should I do? There is many things I need a computer for, and even when I get my check in May, it will not be enough.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Re: How Can I Get A Computer For My Games?

#2 Post by SundownKid »

You can take viruses off a computer by doing a clean install of the Operating System, so you can try that method to repair your old computer. If it's a desktop, a new (used) monitor would be cheaper than getting a new computer.

Alternatively, if your library has a computer you might be able to run your programs off a thumb drive and use the one there.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#3 Post by firecat »

even with the "final solution" it might never get rid of viruses and could ultimately be a hardware problem with no solutions. however all hope is not lost (as far as i know) i hear that it is possible to build ren'py games within a certain tablets (macs dont work) but thats a rumor and it takes a lot of space.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

writinggg
Regular

#4 Post by writinggg »

SundownKid wrote:You can take viruses off a computer by doing a clean install of the Operating System, so you can try that method to repair your old computer. If it's a desktop, a new (used) monitor would be cheaper than getting a new computer.

Alternatively, if your library has a computer you might be able to run your programs off a thumb drive and use the one there.
Unfortunately, we have done that several times before it got it's screen broken and my sister would always torrent on it again so I think I need one that only belongs to me so that hopefully she won't touch it (she promised that if we get it fixed that she won't torrent on it but I've heard that before). Also, how much do monitor's that are used usually cost?

Also , I never thought using a flash drive at the library. My only problem is that I live in a major city and At Most you can get an hour of the computer time.

writinggg
Regular

#5 Post by writinggg »

firecat wrote:even with the "final solution" it might never get rid of viruses and could ultimately be a hardware problem with no solutions. however all hope is not lost (as far as i know) i hear that it is possible to build ren'py games within a certain tablets (macs dont work) but thats a rumor and it takes a lot of space.
Even if it's possible, my mother is now (admittedly understandably) safe guarding the family tablet. I feel like it's hopeless but I need one. Can anyone recommend me a way to fix this.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

writinggg wrote:
SundownKid wrote:You can take viruses off a computer by doing a clean install of the Operating System, so you can try that method to repair your old computer. If it's a desktop, a new (used) monitor would be cheaper than getting a new computer.

Unfortunately, we have done that several times before it got it's screen broken and my sister would always torrent on it again so I think I need one that only belongs to me so that hopefully she won't touch it (she promised that if we get it fixed that she won't torrent on it but I've heard that before). Also, how much do monitor's that are used usually cost?

Also , I never thought using a flash drive at the library. My only problem is that I live in a major city and At Most you can get an hour of the computer time.
There are smaller used LCD monitors on Ebay for 30-40 bucks. As for the computer situation, you could probably password protect it until you can afford your own computer.

writinggg
Regular

#7 Post by writinggg »

OK. I will try to find a used one later then. :D Although I have tried password protection before and she just argued until I gave up (I am kinda a huge push over).

kisa
Veteran
Completed: Brother Rose, Dogs Alone
Projects: So many projects, I can't name them.
Deviantart: tsubasafan135
itch: kisa

#8 Post by kisa »

writinggg wrote:Although I have tried password protection before and she just argued until I gave up (I am kinda a huge push over).
Yeah, I'd really work on that before bad things happen to your personal computer (that you plan to get).
I'm offering commissions!
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=41656

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#9 Post by trooper6 »

You mentioned that you are taking classes and your profile says you are 19...which sounds like you are in college? Most colleges have some sort of computer lab/library with computers. If you need to do work on a computer for school, etc. and your home life is as complicated as you say...it would probably be best to work at a library or your school's computer lab.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#10 Post by fleet »

I purchased my last two monitors at yard sales for under $25.
Regarding the virus problem, many computer repair shops (and some that sell new computers) will do a virus wipe.

Password protect the computer, and don't give your sister the password.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

haipro2001

#11 Post by haipro2001 »

fleet wrote:I purchased my last two monitors at yard sales for under $25.
Regarding the virus problem, many computer repair shops (and some that sell new computers) will do a virus wipe.

Password protect the computer, and don't give your sister the password.
also put password on your BIOS, encrypt your hđd or just put your entire PC in a safe.

Biomass
Regular

#12 Post by Biomass »

Have you heard of the Intel NUC? Its on sale on Best Buy right now for $160 and it is pretty much a full computer, although a weak one. In terms of processing power it still blows tablets out of the water though. The advantage is its small and you easily moved, meaning you can literally unplug it and take it with you so your sister can't get to it when you leave the house. You just need to replace your display, but you can pick old displays up from used parts dealers and it shouldn't cost you that much.

There are more powerful models for $200 to $300 as well.

JJupiterJump
Regular

#13 Post by JJupiterJump »

I know this was awhile ago but in case your still have trouble.

Have you heard of Sandboxie? Maybe you can convince your sister to use that when she torrents. It lets you run programs without risking your computer being infected with a million viruses. Unfortunately if she can't tell whether a file has a virus on it once she runs it (it does happen), or doesn't delete the files after one use, it won't be super helpful. I think it deletes everything when it's closed, and she would have to keep the files she wants that could be potentially infected in there forever if there was no way to tell. Or she would have to run the programs she takes out of the sandbox (to save) using "Open with Sandboxie" forever. Your anti-virus will be able to scan the files that go into the sandbox, which could be helpful in detecting them first if you have a good anti-virus.
(Forgive me other Sandboxie users if I explained something wrong, I haven't used it in forever)

I would also just talk to your sister about safe(er) torrenting. Don't download stuff that others have stated is a virus, don't download stuff that doesn't have at least some comments validating it etc. Also INVEST (don't torrent it haha! seriously though, don't) in a good anti-virus and copy the installer/files to a USB if your computer does get bricked again. It won't help prevent viruses 100% but it may help you with some.

I still recommended Sandboxie though. My last computer was completely killed by a virus, I had to replace the hard drive because there was no way I could even wipe it. It disabled my anti-virus so I couldn't even properly remove it (it was recognized as a virus), but if I had Sandboxie I might have been able to stop it.

My advice: Buy monitor > Reset your computer > Install antivirus > Install Sandboxie > Talk to sister and show her how to use it > backup your stuff (USB) > backup your computer (restore point) > Use computer.

Backing up your computer will return your computer to it's previous state when it was backed up, so you shouldn't have to completely wipe your computer again (depending on how bad the virus is you might, but it'll help).
Good luck with everything, I have a separate computer because my family downloads lots of viruses too, and it was super hard until I got my own so I know how it feels. (They couldn't be arsed to use Sandboxie, but anti-virus + educating, it might help!)