Will you be my master?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Bartulisica
Regular
Organization: ArizonaIdentities
Discord: ArizonaIdentities

Will you be my master?

#1 Post by Bartulisica »

Yesterday, I saw a topic here about someone asking people to be his/her friends..
Well I like thie idea, but already so many people replied and the idea lost that friendly feeling, and became a smaller
forum community instead.
Now, what I'm looking for is a small group of people, or even just one person I can talk to about VN development, story ideas etc...
Preferably I'd like someone superior in Ren'Py so I can learn from him/her, and someone I can occasionally ask questions so I don't have to open a topic on forum for every little thing.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Will you be my master?

#2 Post by Donmai »

Well, this is a community. I believe the best way to ask questions and to learn is through the forum. I have also come to Lemma Soft to learn Ren'Py. Soon I discovered a big treasure here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=8
By simply browsing that section I've discovered so many interesting things. After some time I was confident enough to answer questions too. It's a great way to learn.
From time to time someone would send me a PM calling me "senpai" and making questions. I never refused to answer questions through PM, but I always stated, politely, that the best way to ask questions is, yes, opening a forum topic (or doing a search for already answered questions). This way, we are sharing questions and answers that can be helpful to many people.
You can think of each person giving answers at the 'Ren'Py Questions and Announcements' section as a master. And you can even become one of them. Better have several masters than only one.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Bartulisica
Regular
Organization: ArizonaIdentities
Discord: ArizonaIdentities

#3 Post by Bartulisica »

Ofcourse, but I'm not only looking for someone to answer my question but someone I can talk about my, and his/her, ideas we don't wanna make public yet, about development process, cool script ideas etc. on a bit friendlier base than forum. :)
That doesn't mean I don't respect Q&A section or anything, but sometimes there are small questions you don't wan't to open the topic for it and wait for the answer. :)

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#4 Post by Taleweaver »

Bartulisica wrote:... on a bit friendlier base than forum. :)
Well, this here forum be mighty friendly, ya know. Why doncha just try asking your questions in public?

If you're really looking for a mentor-kind-of-guy, I suppose you could always come to me for all things writing- and plot-related. And I'm pretty sure Py'Tom won't mind answering question regarding Ren'Py features - he answers tons of them in our Ren'Py Q&A forum already.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#5 Post by Kia »

reading the title I came in expecting some S&M action ^_^.

joking aside, I'm good with Ideas. now you have writing and coding master I guess you can talk about your ideas with me. though my lemmasoft pm is crowded for my design commissions and you have to contact me on my skype... wearing leather... muhahahahaaaaa

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#6 Post by PyTom »

I actually do prefer people ask questions on the Ren'Py section of the forum, rather than sending them to me personally. Many questions can be answered by other people, and hence get answered a lot faster. And the answers I do write can be read by other people, so I don't have to answer the same question many times.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

qirien
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Metasepia Games
Deviantart: qirien
Github: qirien
itch: qirien
Discord: qirien

#7 Post by qirien »

Ha ha, your post title made me think of "Be my Minion", the working title for "WANTED: Dragon". :twisted:

But, yeah! Post your questions! Even if they're not technical, the writing/ren'py/game advice you get might be helpful to some else, too. :)

It sounds like you might also want to recruit someone to be a part of your team, perhaps as a co-writer? You could try the recruitment forum for that, too.
Finished games:

sei.chan

#8 Post by sei.chan »

Kia wrote:reading the title I came in expecting some S&M action ^_^.
XD me too :D

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#9 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Why not join the #renpy IRC channel? What you listed is fairly common conversation there, and with 45-50 people online at any time who are interested in discussing development and ideas. As long as you don't mind leaving your client open, as people usually idle until they want to jump into the conversation.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.