Where to Recruit More Members?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
HiddenCreature
Regular
Projects: Vampire: The New Birth

Where to Recruit More Members?

#1 Post by HiddenCreature »

Hello,

Any suggestions on possible websites where I can recruit more volunteers for my visual novel project?

I tried it here once, and while I gained a couple members over time (emphasis on "over time"), this site doesn't see that much traffic to find many potential recruits.

Then there was reddit. I went to their indie game communities, but they're primarily focused on paid positions, only. And as for their visual novel community, they're dedicated entirely to anime-themed visual novels. It's not a "rule," but you can tell that's their primary focus.

I tried this recent site called Ludust; its activity is very low, and more people are trying to find members, than people that are actually volunteering.

Lastly, I tried DeviantArt, but again, unless you're offering money, it's surprisingly difficult to find recruits for a creative project like a visual novel on that site. You would think the opposite.

So again, any suggestions on sites I can visit, to recruit more volunteers for my visual novel project?

And please don't ask me why I haven't already tried something else, or explain why these sites haven't worked, or why I even need more members/can't pay someone, etc. Not being mean, just getting it out the way, since my last post went on a huge tangent because of that. I'm just asking for suggested sites.

Thank you

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

Re: Where to Recruit More Members?

#2 Post by firecat »

ya sorry thats all of it, rarely people offer to do free work (i also looked everywhere and international communities). people want to be paid and they are missing alot of things, it hurts us has much as it hurts them.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

If you are just an "idea guy" who is thinking of recruiting people to do a project, consider why that doesn't work very well. Mainly because you aren't bringing anything to the table in return for people's work.

People volunteer for a project when they see that the person is giving something in return. A well written story in return for good art. Good art in return for a well written story. So you should consider gaining one of those skills yourself and showing it off clearly to ensure that the person volunteering will be getting something worth drawing/writing for.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I don't have any suggestions about other websites, but I did have one about this website. After reading your post I was curious about your project, so I did a search for your posts in the Recruitment thread...and they've all been deleted. I could have been a potential team member...but there is no recruitment post left to draw me in.
So you might want to think about keeping your posts actually present on the boards as long as you still need members rather than deleting them.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

HiddenCreature
Regular

#5 Post by HiddenCreature »

@sundownkid: I already know all of that, and have a project. I said I need *more* members, not to start from scratch. Your input is appreciated, but again, I already knew and prepared for that.

@trooper6:They were deleted because one, no was volunteering despite me having content to advertise (and I had the recruitment post up for some time). And two, I already found every member I could on this site that was willing to volunteer. However, I had to message them personally, no one was responding to my recruitment post. This comes back to the fact that this forum doesn't receive a large amount of traffic. Most members I've seen here are either lurkers, or already part of a project.

Thanks for the potential offer, but we already have a programmer. Unless you know where I might find some volunteer artists. You'd think something as popular as DeviantArt would be an ideal place to find volunteers, but surprisingly no.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

By deleting your posts, you guarantee that you won't get any volunteers from this site. I wanted to see your posts because maybe your recruiting pitch could have been made better. One thing I know is that people do find volunteer artists on this site. If you were having trouble, the problem might not have been a lack of artists on LSF...if might have been how you were marketing your project. I would have been happy to check out the pitch and give you feedback...but I can't...because you deleted your pitch.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

HiddenCreature
Regular

#7 Post by HiddenCreature »

I know my pitch wasn't flawed. I had both practice and feedback. No one has yet to tell me my project was a "bad" idea or poorly presented. If it was, I wouldn't have the members I do now.

And I know I guarantee that, because there aren't any other volunteers here I can make use of. I've found who I can, and aren't looking here anymore. If I was, I would have had the sense to make a new recruitment post here. Again, in my case, the problem *is* a lack of artists here. At least for my particular needs.

One, this forum doesn't even have 50 members online at any given time. Which I learned from the Who is Online section. Then, most members here are already part of a project. Third, majority of artists here offer paid work, not free. And finally, most artists are only experienced in anime-themed art. Hence, why the majority of free sprites here match that style.

In any case, we're now in a tangent as I tried to avoid. I understand and appreciate your efforts to help, but I only wanted suggestions on recruitment sites. In any case, to everyone else reading, please leave suggestions if you have them.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#8 Post by SundownKid »

On topic, there is also TIGSource Forums if you want to post there.

Though, I think your traffic estimates are kind of forgetting that there are lurkers out there who don't actually login to forums unless they want to post. I wouldnt expect free jobs to be filled in a day either. This is basically what you can expect when you look for any type of creative work.

Hisaonakai

#9 Post by Hisaonakai »

at the same time, you might as well leave it out there, who knows when an aspiring free artist might pop up and join you?

Deleting it eliminates that possibly entirely, you might as well leave it there

E-l337
Regular

#10 Post by E-l337 »

There is an old adage which is often repeated in the freelance world: Fast, Cheap, and Good. Pick two.

That having been said, you've already mentioned DA and Reddit. I don't put much stock in Reddit these days - lots of folks leaving that. This said, there are still other places you can look.

As much as I hate to say it, have you considered 4chan or other imageboards? It may seem like a desperate move (and, personally, not one *I* would choose, but that's because I dislike the community there by and large), but I've seen some great artists come out of there.

Or alternatively, if you happen to have a paid SomethingAwful account, you could always try looking there. To say they get a lot of traffic is a vast understatement.

I would have said the CG Art Society, but I'm not really sure what's going on with that community anymore since part of it shuttered its doors suddenly. Though you're likely to run into people wanting to get paid for their work no matter where you go (except maybe 4chan, but again, that is a risky proposition, be forewarned).

The PencilJack community still exists, and last time I checked was still thriving. You could always try there - but be aware that things have changed there a lot. While they've been primarily a US Comics industry-based fansite, and focus mostly on western-style art (by which I mean, realism and US comics etc), they do have a pretty large variety. But the real talent there is also likely to request some form of compensation for their time - in some cases, the members there are either looking to get into one of the big comic publishers, or (in some cases) actually working freelance for some of those publishers.

Things to keep in mind.

HiddenCreature
Regular

#11 Post by HiddenCreature »

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions. And thanks again in advance if you still have anymore ideas. :)