Questions about commission

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Chihaya881
Soundcloud: renpy

Questions about commission

#1 Post by Chihaya881 »

Hi! I'm new at this thing, so help me please? :wink: :D
I want to do some commissions (i need money T_T), so i want to ask:

1. The usual price for sketch commission (no shading) for A5 & A4 paper size:
- headshot
- half body
- full body
2. Should i add the price for the one with SHADING?
3. How to do the shipping and how much it usually cost?
4. Should i add the shipping fee, or make the shipping fee free?

(Please give me some tips, thank you!)

There are some of my drawings (sorry, it's a bit blurry)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Questions about commission

#2 Post by trooper6 »

Most people here are going to want art they commission digital...since they are going to want to be using the art for visual novels.

Anyway, I'd recommend looking through the recruitment threads, specifically the "I am an Artist" thread and getting a sense of what other people are charging at various skill levels and use that as a guide for you.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#3 Post by MaiMai »

Most people who order drawing commissions online aren't going to want to deal with shipping and shipping costs, at least for just a paper drawing that could easily get damaged in the mail. That said, if you're doing traditional pencil/pen drawings on paper, you can circumvent the shipping business by having a good scanner where you can scan the drawings and send it as a digital image file instead.

Pricing varies from artist to artist so you should look at what other artists are doing like trooper6 mentioned so you can form an idea of what you want to offer.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#4 Post by Rossfellow »

Aside from digital commissions, there is a market for prints too(notably in DA). While prices vary per artist, there are common templates for price models. You get to decide which to use. Even when the end price is negotiable between the buyer and the client, it's important that you set up your prices yourself, and raise/lower them if needed.

Model A:
[Portrait] [Bust] [Half Body] [Full Body] - Individual prices.*

Model B:
[Sketch] [Lined] [Shaded] [Color] - Individual prices.*

Model AB:
Any combination of A and B.*

*artists can charge additional for dynamic poses, delicate details (decal tattoos), or complex design or composition.

Model C:
[Painting/ Illustration] - Paid a base price for composition + Additional rate per hour.

For prints, standard shipping costs would apply, as well as the cost of protecting the piece. (Laminate/framing/etc). Otherwise, as MaiMai said, scanners are a good option, plus they're fairly cheap.

Edit: You reserve the right to raise your prices if the buyer plans to make money with your work.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

I would suggest buying a cheap scanner or getting a photo scanner app on your phone that allows you to take better photos of the sketches. You should also learn how to process the image in GIMP or something for best results. Then you can charge more for it since you can send digital files.