RPG with heavy text contents / SCGs allowed in WIP?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
hepari00
Deviantart: hepary

RPG with heavy text contents / SCGs allowed in WIP?

#1 Post by hepari00 »

Hello,

Link with more info

I'm currently developing an Action RPG which involves much text-based dialogue contents, character CGs and romance options.
Would I be allowed to post a Devlog under the 'WIP' section of this forum?
If yes, I would talk more about romance options and the story than about action elements (because that's what visual novel players are interested in).

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

Re: RPG with heavy text contents / SCGs allowed in WIP?

#2 Post by firecat »

it fits under ideas forum, there's no demo, no screenshots of the game, and nothing to talk about.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#3 Post by Ghost #9 »

Romance is certainly a popular genre in the visual novel community, but it is by no means a requirement. Indeed, there are games here that do not emphasize romance at all. I feel the idea that you need to focus on the romance aspects of your game rather than the possibly more pertinent action elements because "that's what visual novel players are interested in" is definitely misguided. When discussing your game, you should present it in the way you feel is best representative of the game overall rather than assuming that all visual novel players share the same interests. You may even end up turning away some players if you overemphasize it too much.

EDIT: One thing I didn't initially notice was that you also mentioned placing emphasis on the storyline. If nothing else, we can definitely safely agree that visual novel players generally care a lot about the story. : )
For me, that applies to RPGs and lots of other genres as well!

EDIT 2: I was clearly too caught up in the romance. The artwork for your game is fantastic! I'd definitely be interested in learning more about it. Gameplay, storyline, characters, etc. etc. Welcome to the forum!

On another note:
firecat wrote:it fits under ideas forum, there's no demo, no screenshots of the game, and nothing to talk about.
I'm not certain where you're getting that from, since there's artwork for the game posted right there in the opening...
Last edited by Ghost #9 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

firecat
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Unknowns Saga series
Projects: The Unknown Saga series
Tumblr: bigattck
Deviantart: bigattck
Soundcloud: bigattck-firecat

#4 Post by firecat »

Ghost #9 wrote:Romance is certainly a popular genre in the visual novel community, but it is by no means a requirement. Indeed, there are games here that do not emphasize romance at all. I feel the idea that you need to focus on the romance aspects of your game rather than the possibly more pertinent action elements because "that's what visual novel players are interested in" is definitely misguided. When discussing your game, you should present it in the way you feel is best representative of the game overall rather than assuming that all visual novel players share the same interests. You may even end up turning away some players if you overemphasize it too much.

On another note:
firecat wrote:it fits under ideas forum, there's no demo, no screenshots of the game, and nothing to talk about.
I'm not certain where you're getting that from, since there's artwork for the game posted right there in the opening...
its right there on thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=13209
You should include screenshots and/or examples of game assets.

This helps to show us that you've put some time in, and that your game has moved beyond the idea phase. It also helps to make the game more concrete, something we can talk about in specifics.

You should mention what you hope to get out of the thread.

Are you simply reporting progress? Do you have issues you'd like us to help with? Would you like reasoned comments and respectful critique to help you improve your game? There are a lot of reasons why someone would post in the Works in Progress forum. Please let us know what you're interested in getting out of your posting, in the long term.

You should start the conversation.

Finally, you should do something specific to start the conversation - come up with some specific question you'd like answered, or a point you would like reasoned comment and respectful criticism on. This gives us something to begin discussing.
also since we dont know anything about it, it might be turn into a crowdfunding at anytime.

special thanks to nantoka.main.jp and iichan_lolbot

Ghost #9
Regular

#5 Post by Ghost #9 »

firecat wrote:its right there on thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=13209
also since we dont know anything about it, it might be turn into a crowdfunding at anytime.
I am familiar with the forum rules, but there is nothing here indicating that our resident OP has any intention of not including all of the relevant information in their WIP thread. In this thread alone, they included several game assets, a link to more information, and mentions of their intentions for how they plan on going about describing the game. This is clearly well beyond the "idea" phase.
Not to mention that hepari00 hasn't mentioned anything about crowdfunding. Seems a bit rude to presume.

They posted here in the General Discussion forum to find out if posting the type of game they're developing would be allowed. The information included here is clearly not all of the information they have.

hepari00

#6 Post by hepari00 »

Ghost #9 wrote: I am familiar with the forum rules, but there is nothing here indicating that our resident OP has any intention of not including all of the relevant information in their WIP thread. In this thread alone, they included several game assets, a link to more information, and mentions of their intentions for how they plan on going about describing the game. This is clearly well beyond the "idea" phase.
Not to mention that hepari00 hasn't mentioned anything about crowdfunding. Seems a bit rude to presume.

They posted here in the General Discussion forum to find out if posting the type of game they're developing would be allowed. The information included here is clearly not all of the information they have.
Thank you Ghost #9 and Firecat for giving an answer to my question. I wanted to make sure that I don't break any rules or offend anyone.
(to Ghost #9: I'm glad that you liked the artworks! :D )

I am the artist and the writer of the mentioned game; the game is a hybrid, meaning that it's a combination of multiple game genres.
I'm trying to implement visual-novel-esque features such as branching character-related storylines, dialogue choices, romance options and multiple endings. Since it's something visual novel gamers put more emphasis on, I thought that this might be a good place to get comments or critiques. Unlike visual novel gamers, casual gamers don't talk or know about these things a lot. It would be a wonder if someone ever heard of Clannad.

The game has left the idea stage long time ago, and we are already making good progress on it.

At some point this game will go to Kickstarter or Indiegogo, but I wouldn't just slap on a link to the campaign and call it a day.
(I'm also aware that such an approach would only make enemies.)
Also, a full-fledged demo will be available to play before it comes to Kickstarter.

So, do you think it would be okay to post a devlog in the WIP section?

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#7 Post by fleet »

I am not a moderator here, but I'd suggest asking a moderator to move this entire topic there, rather than start a new one.
Very respectfully,
fleet
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

Ghost #9
Regular

#8 Post by Ghost #9 »

I'm going to have to disagree, considering the topic of discussion. I personally wouldn't want my WIP thread to contain so much off-topic discussion right from the beginning.

You should start a new thread in the WIP section, in my opinion. While I'm not a moderator, hybrid games are allowed here. Especially if you're planning to add a branching narrative, etc., I see no reason why your game wouldn't be allowed.

hepari00

#9 Post by hepari00 »

OK, I will try and see what becomes of it. Thank you guys!

Biomass
Regular

#10 Post by Biomass »

Who is your artist and how can i steal them? lol

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#11 Post by Taleweaver »

To answer above question (and sorry for not noticing it earlier): if it's a story-based game, and if the game is currently in production far enough for you to show off what you're doing (if in-game screenshots do not yet exist, it's a good sign production is not yet far enough), you may open a WIP thread for it.

If you wish to show us one of your story-based game projects that isn't quite yet at this stage, you may always open a thread in our Ideas subforum.

With that, thread closed, folks. Please resume discussion in the project thread.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira