In 2050, your lover may be a ... robot

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.

Will you consider having 'relationship' with a robot?

Yes, I'll be there!
33%
No, no matter what! I want real flesh n' bones!
22%
Not now, but after certain degree of 'human'-ness technology is reached
26%
Not now, but when it's certain they can have souls
19%

Total votes: 110

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

Re: In 2050, your lover may be a ... robot

#181 Post by Sapphi »

Being a rather sentimental person, I wouldn't mind having a relationship with a robot if they were constructed well enough to actually have a conversation with me and, you know, actually care about me.

Never mind all the psychological trauma that would come as a result...
But as far as a few of my stuffed animals goes, they have personalities and I love them, and they don't even talk to me.

If my robot could talk to me, I'd love him/her too.
But I already have a human lover, so my robot would have to just be my friend.

I guess for me, it's not hard to love inhuman things.
Heck, I love tons of anime characters, and even though I know they aren't real in the sense that I am, they are in their own worlds. I cried my eyes out over the Gungrave ending and others too, because I loved the characters.

They had no relationship with me whatsoever... I can see myself having even a stronger bond with a robot.

I've always had a soft spot for robots, though.
They're so innocent that I've always wanted to cry when I saw people being mean to them on TV shows and stuff.

Gah I don't know where I'm going with this.
I really love robots though ^_^
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#182 Post by Der Tor »

We ARE BORG_YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED_YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE JOINED WITH OUR OWN_RESISTANCE IS FUTILE

adrix89
Regular

#183 Post by adrix89 »

Der Tor wrote:We ARE BORG_YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED_YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE JOINED WITH OUR OWN_RESISTANCE IS FUTILE
Not gonna happen as we have Windows, try assimilating that!

We ARE BORG_YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED_YOUR BIOLOGICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL DISTINCTIVENESS WILL BE JOINED WITH OUR OWN_RESISTANCE Isssssss....~crash~ BSOD

#185 Post by Guest »

thats really discusting.. we werent made to love robots people.. god i can tell if that really happens then people will be addicted and population will go way down. that is if they make em real enough for a lot of people to buy. its unnatural and it sickens me that they are going for something like that

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#186 Post by Samu-kun »

And there, we have a true believer in the Space Pope. Amen.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#187 Post by LVUER »

Guest wrote:thats really discusting.. we werent made to love robots people.. god i can tell if that really happens then people will be addicted and population will go way down. that is if they make em real enough for a lot of people to buy. its unnatural and it sickens me that they are going for something like that
We aren't made that sturdy either. Lots of people afraid with other human or already injured by people so much ... or simply can't stand other people or ... well, there are lots of reason, really.
Perhaps in some way, it's good to have the population down (but not because of war or epidemic) since the world is already too crowded anyway.
About unnatural or what-like-that, lots of people do nowadays (which we consider natural and ok) is considered unnatural or even sin in the past. So who knows, 50 or 100 years later, having intercourse (or even marry) with robots is considered... normal?

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#188 Post by CaesMRaenes »

This is an interesting topic. I haven't read the article yet but I'd like to throw in my opinion into the batch of the idea.

Personally, I prefer my lover to be human (probably biased because of my boyfriend) because of several different matters. First, I like spontaneity. I like it when a man jumps out of his typical behavioral patterns just to surprise me. With a robot being that they have to be programmed with certain software and equations, you pretty much could predict what behaviors they will engage in. Even if the mathematicians were capable of equating to a human-like reaction, the so-called surprises would only be calculated exponentially with the occasional imaginary number thrown in thus becoming predictable in the long run.

Secondly, I enjoy a man who can talk passionately to me. Not always sexually, I like it when I listen to a guy speak so whole-heartedly about a subject. My boyfriend, for an example, is a history dork, and I don't like history because of history classes, but listening to him talk makes me feel like I would gladly read history again because it sounded so interesting. And it's not always history. It could be World of Warcraft and I'll just sit there happily listening to everything he's saying, despite the fact that I cursed that game since it took over the life of one of my friends.

Thirdly, and probably lastly (if I listed a whole bunch of stuff, I'll probably be here until morning class starts), I enjoy a unique lover. By that, I mean, I actually don't prefer a perfect lover. If a robot was programmed to have everything I want, I probably would become bored out of my mind. If a robot was programmed to be compatible to me, I probably wouldn't take him. What I want is to fight. I want to argue about something. I want to wrestle out my troubles. I want a different opinion. Sometimes, I want to beat up my boyfriend for making me cry. And why would I want that? Because I know that, despite our differences, we're still fighting to make our relationship work and be together. I know that we care. But I also want us to have similar interests, to agree on stuff, to come to a conclusion, to like a lot of the same things which probably be difficult for a robot since you'll have to continuously input data into him since he doesn't know your likes or dislikes about a new subject. Or else, the jerk's just like any other jerk: the kick-him-in-the-shins-and-leave kind of guy.

Heheh. I love talks about love. =P <---is a romantic.
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#189 Post by Jo'ogn »

CaesMRaenes wrote:I like it when a man jumps out of his typical behavioral patterns just to surprise me.
I bet there are a lot of 'humans' in this world who are almost mechanically repetive, mind-implodingly unimaginative and considerably predictable.

Computergames are not that far from the idea of a robot that can entertain you and games manage to positively suprise me as much as pissing me off for the simplest things they - per my definition - fail at.
CaesMRaenes wrote:I enjoy a man who can talk passionately to me.
I do see that robots will be having troubles with that. But humans can have that too - on both ends actually. I can be pretty talkative and passionate about things and there are ppl who don't care one little bit to listen.
Guest wrote:we werent made to love robots people
Where comes this assessment from?
Guest wrote:and population will go way down.
I am not one of those scientific minded ppl who believe that Earth would be way better off w/o humans, but what would be the problem with having a bunch of million ppl less on this planet? I'd rather have that happening due to robot lovers than wars and capitalism.
Guest wrote:its unnatural
Define natural.

Is eating "fast food" 'natural'? Is watching TV 'natural'? Is using a Computer 'natural'? Is communicating with "virtual entities" via a digital network 'natural'? Is wearing clothes 'natural'? Is drinking beverages like beer, coffee, coke, or milk 'natural'? Is using transportation 'natural'? Is using electricity at all 'natural'? Is reading a book 'natural'? Is wasting ones live time with working to make money 'natural'? Is the money exchange 'natural'? Is using portable music players and mobile phones 'natural'? ...
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#190 Post by Vatina »

Jo'ogn wrote:
Guest wrote:its unnatural
Define natural.
Something that origins in nature or happens "naturally", even without human intervention. So robots are unnatural, and as such loving them would be too.
Of course 'loving something' isn't unnatural, but you can't love a robot unless we make one, so....

... this is a difficult thing dependant on how you look at it I guess? :P

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#191 Post by CaesMRaenes »

Jo'ogn wrote:I bet there are a lot of 'humans' in this world who are almost mechanically repetive, mind-implodingly unimaginative and considerably predictable.

Computergames are not that far from the idea of a robot that can entertain you and games manage to positively suprise me as much as pissing me off for the simplest things they - per my definition - fail at.
I haven't met a lot of humans in my life time, but out of the people I have met, it does become repetitive if they follow their usual routine. Psychologically, most people enjoy staying within their comfort zones because they know that either not much harm can be done to them within the means of change or simply have no interest to. But those little things that are done outside of their norm is what I prefer like a guy who usually doesn't cook would cook despite his bad cooking or a friend who hates FPS would play an FPS to try out something new. It's those little things that makes me smile for a human being. Of course, you will always get the opposite where someone would annoy you when they usually don't or hurt you because of something they did by accident, but, well at least for me, those little things can be forgiven.

Now as far as the modern computer games, there are games that follow a generic storyline or category and those that are quite unique in their style and story development. Both of them are developed by a human so in a sense, I suppose that if I had a robot lover that was programmed by someone else, it would then be a surprise for me since I wasn't aware of what was stored in the robot's software. I probably should have a really good friend program the lover for me rather than a technician though.
Jo'ogn wrote:I do see that robots will be having troubles with that. But humans can have that too - on both ends actually. I can be pretty talkative and passionate about things and there are ppl who don't care one little bit to listen.
Heheh. Yeah, I had the voices of Vocaloid in mind when I made that opinion. They're great singers and it's really interesting how their tone of voice change, but it still feels a bit mechanized. You really can hear a person's genuine passion when you see how lighted up and lively they become with what they're talking about. But it is sad that there are people who just don't care much even when someone is talking passionately to them. They're really missing out on something amazing.

When a person talks with a passion, it's like a soul is lit aflame and their eyes glitter with happiness. Listening to them talk gives me an adrenaline rush which makes me feel like I should share something passionate to them too. =D
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

Jo'ogn
Veteran

#192 Post by Jo'ogn »

Vatina wrote:this is a difficult thing dependant on how you look at it I guess?
I'd say so. For making a robot you use material from nature. One can not make anything that isn't made out of material from nature. If you consider the process of a human (which is a natural being) turning sth into sth else as making it 'unnatural' then I'd agree, otherwise I'd say there is no such thing as 'unnatural'.
CaesMRaenes wrote:You really can hear a person's genuine passion when you see how lighted up and lively they become with what they're talking about. But it is sad that there are people who just don't care much even when someone is talking passionately to them. They're really missing out on something amazing.
Highly interesting, reminds me of that topic: Opinions about making games as a hobby
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#193 Post by LVUER »

Jo'ogn wrote:I bet there are a lot of 'humans' in this world who are almost mechanically repetive, mind-implodingly unimaginative and considerably predictable.
And all of that thanks to our education and social systems that force people to be uncreative, completely systematized and "mechanized", and only care about the result.
Jo'ogn wrote:I do see that robots will be having troubles with that. But humans can have that too - on both ends actually. I can be pretty talkative and passionate about things and there are ppl who don't care one little bit to listen.
Well, some people have difficulty talking passionately (they're human after all, no one's perfect). But perhaps human is able to differentiate between machine that only talks (although seems "passionately") and human that genuinely passionate about something?

I wonder if robot is already like terminator (not the killing ability I mean)? Remember that Sarah prefer to have terminator as the father rather than a human (though not as a lover which is the topic is this thread)?

Jo'ogn
Veteran

#194 Post by Jo'ogn »

LVUER wrote:But perhaps human is able to differentiate between machine that only talks (although seems "passionately") and human that genuinely passionate about something?
Good point. How to make an artificial intelligence being passionate about sth? That would mean the robot would have to develop an interest. My best guess is that a customer would customise those interests according to their own likes and dislikes. But this would not imply any 'real' passion.

How to simulate motivation, or ambition? Robots would be 'servants', serving certain needs and demands. A robot would not have any social needs. It would be absurd to make a robot getting depressed over having to stay indoors, because their owner prefers to stay away from ppl.

The more I think about it the more spiritually inclined I become... o_O
LVUER wrote:And all of that thanks to our education and social systems that force people to be uncreative, completely systematized and "mechanized", and only care about the result.
I believe this might emphasize such developments, but humans are not the same. Some ppl try to make everybody 'scientifically equal'. But individuals are not 'equal', that's contradiction in terms. Just because a certain majority does things one way some jump to the conclusion this must be 'the normal' or 'the natural' - in other words: right, or correct behaviour for everyone.

socio-psychologically a robot could be 'a being' one can control without getting in trouble with the law. Even if you do not do anything to your robot that might be prohibited to do to humans, the sheer idea of having (almost) total control might be attractive.

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#195 Post by carosene »

Guest wrote:population will go way down.
Hate to be the downer environmentalist here, but that would be a pretty good thing for us all. We're stripping the Earth of it's resources way faster than they can come back.
Though I think that there will be enough "Eew, that's just wrong!" sentiment from people like you that it won't become a big enough epidemic.
And the people who actually have one will probably be treated like... obsessive otaku who play dating sims. (I'm everyone here who's had to explain a ren'ai game to a normal person understands this... "What? A dating what? Dude, you seriously need a life.")

As for me... I think it would be practical for me. I'm a bit weird and a bit extreme, (and I have no life) but I'm considering staying single (or at least unmarried) all my life for the simple reason that I would rather be focused on a career than worried about making a man happy and chasing after kids. Having a robot, however, would allow me to focus on my work meanwhile having someone to talk to without worrying about making them happy. Like what has been mentioned, I don't have to worry about it's social needs. (*cough* Yes, I'm aware how selfish that is.)

And for the record, Zettai Kareshi was a dang good drama.
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA