Any good GxG VNs or KNs?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
greenace
Regular

Any good GxG VNs or KNs?

#1 Post by greenace »

Hey all!

Does anyone know of any good GxG visual novels or kinetic novels? Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I'm wanting to read more visual novels so I can gain inspiration to create my own. I'm want to write my own GxG visual novel or maybe a KN. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love for GxG. I hope to change that by writing my own stories. ;w;

Thanks in advance!

Joshua1207
Regular
Projects: composed for: Sweetest Monster, AIdol, Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet
Organization: Mock Off
Soundcloud: Joshua1207

Re: Any good GxG VNs or KNs?

#2 Post by Joshua1207 »

Aoishiro and Katahane are some of the better translated yuri's out there. Both start off relatively slow (more so with Katahane than Aoishiro) but if you enjoy yuri you'll love them.
https://soundcloud.com/joshua1207
My newest hits^

Contact me if you need a composer!

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#3 Post by Taleweaver »

If you haven't played That Cheap And Sacred Thing yet, you're missing something.

Yeah, that's not only GxG, but still...
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

Do you want GxG VNs written for straight men, straight women, or queer women?
Do you want VNs that are GxG only or where GxG is an option among others?
Do you want romance/dating sim VNs or would you also be interested in VNs where there are GxG relationships but that isn't the point of the game?
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

greenace
Regular

#5 Post by greenace »

Joshua1207 wrote:Aoishiro and Katahane are some of the better translated yuri's out there. Both start off relatively slow (more so with Katahane than Aoishiro) but if you enjoy yuri you'll love them.
Ooooh~ They look cute. Do I have to buy the Japanese version and then install the english patch to play them? I'm not sure, because I've never played a translated VN before. TwT

greenace
Regular

#6 Post by greenace »

Taleweaver wrote:If you haven't played That Cheap And Sacred Thing yet, you're missing something.

Yeah, that's not only GxG, but still...
Sounds promising!
I've downloaded it and will definitely be playing it.
Thanks for the recommendation! ^w^

greenace
Regular

#7 Post by greenace »

trooper6 wrote:Do you want GxG VNs written for straight men, straight women, or queer women?
Do you want VNs that are GxG only or where GxG is an option among others?
Do you want romance/dating sim VNs or would you also be interested in VNs where there are GxG relationships but that isn't the point of the game?
Ummm, I suppose I want GxG VNs written for asexual women? Haha...I know they don't exist so I guess I'll go with queer women. :P
I'd prefer ones with GxG only but I don't mind if it's an option too.
The story can be about anything at all, I just want there to be some kind of GxG romance element in it. Without sex scenes preferably... but I don't mind them. TwT

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by trooper6 »

greenace wrote: Ummm, I suppose I want GxG VNs written for asexual women? Haha...I know they don't exist so I guess I'll go with queer women. :P
The story can be about anything at all, I just want there to be some kind of GxG romance element in it. Without sex scenes preferably... but I don't mind them. TwT
Locked-In by saguaro is really excellent.
http://saguarofoo.itch.io/locked-in

It is a mystery and not a romance, but features a lesbian protagonist you are dealing with the people in her life including her wife.

Christine Love is a queer woman and has done a number of games you might want to check out.

Digital: A Love Story, deals with a romance between the protagonist and a woman on message boards. It is not specified that the protagonist (who is you) is a woman, which would make the romance a queer romance, but Christine Love as written that that is the way she conceived of the game.
Analogue: A Hate Story...is really a mystery in space that is really phenomenal. You as the protagonist (if you conceive of yourself as a woman) has GxG romance options (sort of)...but the mystery you are unraveling involves a number of queer women and their romances. But really that game is about patriarchy...it is heavy and really good. You can also check out the sequel Hate Plus
Even Cowgirls Bleed is about a queer woman...though, if I recall correctly it is more about the aftermath of romance than the pursuit of it:
http://scoutshonour.com/cowgirl/
Don't Take it personally, babe, it Just Ain't Your Story...the protagonist is a straight man who is a teacher at a school. The students include a number of queer pairings.

Moving on to other developers, I don't know much about Mink's personal life, but I found Witch/Knight to be a great story featuring a queer woman protagonist. Lost love is the motivating factor for the adventure...also very good.
http://metalorphans.com/projects/witchknight

The game Magical Diary has a female protagonist and there are GxG romance options (also GxM romance options)...and that game is really superlative in general with great gameplay and an interesting story. Very recommended to see some of the amazing things a person could do with Renpy

Now this is not a VN and it isn't a dating sim...and the protagonist is not a lesbian...but if you want a game that deals with a queer romance in the most amazing way, I must recommend Gone Home. That game is really, really amazing.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head where the queer women characters feel authentic and not just fan service for dudes or disconnected from any sort of queer subjectivity.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

greenace
Regular

#9 Post by greenace »

trooper6 wrote:
greenace wrote: Ummm, I suppose I want GxG VNs written for asexual women? Haha...I know they don't exist so I guess I'll go with queer women. :P
Locked-In by saguaro is really excellent.
http://saguarofoo.itch.io/locked-in

It is a mystery and not a romance, but features a lesbian protagonist you are dealing with the people in her life including her wife.

Christine Love is a queer woman and has done a number of games you might want to check out.

Digital: A Love Story, deals with a romance between the protagonist and a woman on message boards. It is not specified that the protagonist (who is you) is a woman, which would make the romance a queer romance, but Christine Love as written that that is the way she conceived of the game.
Analogue: A Hate Story...is really a mystery in space that is really phenomenal. You as the protagonist (if you conceive of yourself as a woman) has GxG romance options (sort of)...but the mystery you are unraveling involves a number of queer women and their romances. But really that game is about patriarchy...it is heavy and really good. You can also check out the sequel Hate Plus
Even Cowgirls Bleed is about a queer woman...though, if I recall correctly it is more about the aftermath of romance than the pursuit of it:
http://scoutshonour.com/cowgirl/
Don't Take it personally, babe, it Just Ain't Your Story...the protagonist is a straight man who is a teacher at a school. The students include a number of queer pairings.

Moving on to other developers, I don't know much about Mink's personal life, but I found Witch/Knight to be a great story featuring a queer woman protagonist. Lost love is the motivating factor for the adventure...also very good.
http://metalorphans.com/projects/witchknight

The game Magical Diary has a female protagonist and there are GxG romance options (also GxM romance options)...and that game is really superlative in general with great gameplay and an interesting story. Very recommended to see some of the amazing things a person could do with Renpy

Now this is not a VN and it isn't a dating sim...and the protagonist is not a lesbian...but if you want a game that deals with a queer romance in the most amazing way, I must recommend Gone Home. That game is really, really amazing.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head where the queer women characters feel authentic and not just fan service for dudes or disconnected from any sort of queer subjectivity.

Ah wow! These all look and sound right up my alley. I'll definitely be checking out Christine Love's VNs. Gone Home sounds like an interesting experience too. I have plenty to read/play now haha.

It's good to know that there are GxG VNs in the world that aren't just all about fan service for dudes.

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations! I appreciate your help. :D

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#10 Post by Kumiho »

For KNs, Basiliska is really good :) And I haven't played it, but I believe Asphyxia (??) is also great, although it's lighter on the romance.

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#11 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

YuriJam just finished, so there's a long selection from there: http://itch.io/jam/yuri-game-jam/entries

Honest Critique

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by trooper6 »

greenace wrote: It's good to know that there are GxG VNs in the world that aren't just all about fan service for dudes.

Thanks a bunch for the recommendations! I appreciate your help. :D
None of those games have any fan service for dudes in them! Though Don't Take It Personally Babe...sort of does...though not exactly. There is a fan service-y photo that is locked behind a code word. The code word is not given in the game. So you would have to search the internet to get it. The protagonist of the game....is sort of a creep...(or could be)...and I think with in this particular moment, Christine Love wants to know if you as a player are sort of a creep. So...it is the possibility of searching out fan service as a test of character of the player. I think she does really interesting work!

Also, Gone Home made me cry. SO GOOD!
A Close Shave:

Joshua1207
Regular
Projects: composed for: Sweetest Monster, AIdol, Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet
Organization: Mock Off
Soundcloud: Joshua1207

#13 Post by Joshua1207 »

greenace wrote:
Joshua1207 wrote:Aoishiro and Katahane are some of the better translated yuri's out there. Both start off relatively slow (more so with Katahane than Aoishiro) but if you enjoy yuri you'll love them.
Ooooh~ They look cute. Do I have to buy the Japanese version and then install the english patch to play them? I'm not sure, because I've never played a translated VN before. TwT
That would be the most legal way to play them, yes.

If you're interested in an easier way to play a yuri than importing (or getting a jp digital version, I suppose), Mangagamer is releasing Kindred Spirits on steam soon in English and it is supposedly one of the better yuris made. More info on it here: https://vndb.org/v8508 Personally I've been very excited about it since it got announced and it'll be a day 1 buy for me.

EDIT: A demo of Kindred Spirits came out recently, so you can give it a try http://blog.mangagamer.org/2016/02/02/k ... lable-now/
https://soundcloud.com/joshua1207
My newest hits^

Contact me if you need a composer!