Last Visual Novel You Played?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Amecha
Regular

Re: Last Visual Novel You Played?

#31 Post by Amecha »

FonaCall wrote:Wow, that's a lot. I only got to play the Facebook versions of Destiny Ninja 2 (I chose Kikyo), Wizardess Heart (I chose Yukiya), and Blood in Roses (I chose Jack), cause I don't have a mobile device I can play the rest on. I haven't finished any routes lol.

Yeah, out of all of them, Destiny Ninja 2 is the one I enjoy most too, although Blood in Roses is a very close second (only got put off by the fact that I ended up with too little in-game currency to buy myself the item I need to advance to the next chapter and I didn't want to go beauty pageant and stuff. Hahahahaha).

- Piet
Oh okay, yeah I just have a Ipod so I can play most of their games on there I didn't know they had a FB version of some of their games. For DN2 I'm also on Kikyo's route and for Wizardess Heart I'm Joel and Blood in Roses I'm going Daniel. I considered choosing Yukiya but I just decided to go with Joel.
And yeah like, in Magic Sword I'm like two? three? story segments from finishing one of the characters routes but I need seven of this one item to pass a checkpoint but I don't have any currency to buy them so I'm playing the spin-offs, ugh.
MimirollCookie wrote:
Angel or Devil+ is pretty good! I like that they have the paid version as well so you can just outright buy your character route. I bought Ruvel's route and now I'm playing Raug's on the + version.

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

#32 Post by FonaCall »

Amecha wrote: Oh okay, yeah I just have a Ipod so I can play most of their games on there I didn't know they had a FB version of some of their games. For DN2 I'm also on Kikyo's route and for Wizardess Heart I'm Joel and Blood in Roses I'm going Daniel. I considered choosing Yukiya but I just decided to go with Joel.
And yeah like, in Magic Sword I'm like two? three? story segments from finishing one of the characters routes but I need seven of this one item to pass a checkpoint but I don't have any currency to buy them so I'm playing the spin-offs, ugh.
Ugh, story items...

lol I was also considering Joel and Randy for Wizardess Heart, but I wanted to go for one of the earlier guys first. I also considered choosing Daniel for Blood in Roses, but then I figured it didn't really matter who I picked first since I can go his route later.

Okay, I better stop before this becomes a Shall We Date? thread.

- Piet
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

Delsin7
Deviantart: delsin07

#33 Post by Delsin7 »

The last one I played was Highschool Romance. Its a crossdressing x G romance vn, where the mc is prodded, more than forced, into crossdressing to attend an all-girls highschool. (there's more to it, but thats the gist, it makes a bit more sense in-game) This premise could go very bad very fast or very cheap H very fast. Luckily it doesn't, the characters are interesting, love the art, writing is fun, etc. It feels a bit rushed and I wish there were more cgs/sprites, but overall its really good.

I was looking at the steam discussions for it and found out it was made in Ren'Py. So I decided to check it out and...well now I'm trying to learn Ren'Py myself. Hehe.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#34 Post by MimirollCookie »

I played a couple of NaNo Entries. I played my own entry (Sweet and Spices), Lads In Distress, Her tears were my light, Starlit Flowers, Wander No More, Banality Man, Iris Dream, Prince Caterpillar and MisSHAPEn Love!

Those were the NaNo entries that I think were top-notch! :)
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

HarukoBev
Projects: To Thaw a Frozen Heart [On Going]

#35 Post by HarukoBev »

Hmmm.. It has been a long time since the last vn that I played (which is almost a year ago xD)
I think its Magical Otoge Ciel? or Erased - The Relation? Idk XD

Daedalus

#36 Post by Daedalus »

One Last Chance earlier this week, and I still have little left in The House In Fata Morgana demo to go through - just been so busy with everything :P

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#37 Post by ludeshka »

Last one I played was the Rock Robin beta (right here on our forums). That game is HUGE already. Can't wait to see the finished version.

Selebus
Regular
Soundcloud: user-92101212

#38 Post by Selebus »

I just played the first ten minutes of DearDrops. Does that count or should I go back further?

Writer/Actor.
Nothing is Beautiful (Psychological/Romance) Demo Available Now! - https://djnostyle.itch.io/nothing-is-beautiful
2019 Character Demo - https://soundcloud.com/user-92101212/dj ... ation-demo
Writing/acting samples available on request!

UntitledEXE

#39 Post by UntitledEXE »

Last visual novel that I had actually played quite a bit through would be Sweet Fuse on the PSP. Didn't know what I was expecting going in considering I had gotten the game as a birthday gift, but golly it was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Though there was quite a bit of hand holding with the whole detective element, the main character you played was an absolute joy to play and the whole cast was generally rather likeable. :D

Selebus
Regular
Soundcloud: user-92101212

#40 Post by Selebus »

Just started Kindred Sprits on the Roof.
Omg too cute.
Buy this.

Writer/Actor.
Nothing is Beautiful (Psychological/Romance) Demo Available Now! - https://djnostyle.itch.io/nothing-is-beautiful
2019 Character Demo - https://soundcloud.com/user-92101212/dj ... ation-demo
Writing/acting samples available on request!

fmjaye
Regular
Projects: Blackout City (webcomic)
Tumblr: fakemagicjaye

#41 Post by fmjaye »

MimirollCookie wrote:@fmjaye
What's Lamento? *u*
showing up to your reply one month late with starbucks... B'D
It's a BxB visual novel and it is SO LONG. Like 50+ hours. I never finished it...
So far it's made surprisingly few attempts to scar me for life considering it was made by Nitro+
Oh yeah, and everyone is cute and has cat ears!! =w=//
UntitledEXE wrote:Last visual novel that I had actually played quite a bit through would be Sweet Fuse on the PSP. Didn't know what I was expecting going in considering I had gotten the game as a birthday gift, but golly it was definitely a pleasant surprise.

Though there was quite a bit of hand holding with the whole detective element, the main character you played was an absolute joy to play and the whole cast was generally rather likeable. :D
That game sounds really good...! I looked it up and now having seen the art I really want to play it!

---

It occurred to me that my criteria for VNs is "do boys kiss each other?" but if I'm going to be making one it might be worth it to play some of the greats. And so... the last visual novel I played is... part of MuvLuv Alternative. But it's boring! GET IN THE ROBOT, TAKERU! The GUI is bad! Every time they zoom in too close on a background and it pixelates, I can hear their background artist crying!
Image Image
Artist on [redacted] life NaNoRenO 2016

Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses

#42 Post by Green Glasses Girl »

Busy playing the Infurubia demo. It's so pretty *___*

Honest Critique

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#43 Post by gekiganwing »

I had been slowly enjoying Harvest December, but chose to set it aside recently. The story has been decent, but it seems to take a while for any event to occur. I'm in the middle of chapter two of twelve, so there's a long way to go...
UntitledEXE wrote:Last visual novel that I had actually played quite a bit through would be Sweet Fuse on the PSP.
I read nearly all of it, and enjoyed it.
Selebus wrote: Just started Kindred Sprits on the Roof.
I don't have a reliable Windows PC at this time, so it's tough to justify purchasing computer games / VNs. However, I want to purchase both this and Ozmafia in the near future.

UntitledEXE

#44 Post by UntitledEXE »

Been playing through the Phoenix Wright series with a close friend because that heathenous plebeian had dared not know what it is! Man, much nostalgia playing through that.

@fmjaye
Definitely worth a try if you have a psp and the money!

It's developed by idea factory, so it's already expected to be pretty good just from their reputation, though personally I enjoyed how the company seemed to deviate a little with this game considering how it's got quite different elements to their usual games. It's definitely more light hearted and comedic, borderline if not outright parody even.

The characters are all also really likeable, or at least a nice change (I know a few people who don't like certain character which they may great points about, but that'd be spoilers :'D). Though definitely inspired by some tropes they're quite different from cliches typically seen in traditional Japanese otomes, which is just a super sweet (budum-tss) difference. The variety in appearances and personalities is just the bomb (okay I'll stop now), and Meoshi is mine that precious child my gosh.

Btw, if you do end up playing there is actually a recommended order to route completion. Pretty much the routes reveal different amounts and parts of the whole mystery (which imo fell a little flat, but it was still enjoyable :'D).

OH! THOUGH! Be warned, a few of the characters have quite the age gap with the heroine. One of them is like--- a dad and 15 years older which can really turn some people off.

And oh golly, I've heard so many good things about MuvLuv though those things make me a bit cautious. The minor details like GUI and pixelation of graphics can be such deal breakers for some. :') Though, it must have done something right since it had like-- a $1,250,000 kickstarter, which was like 4 or 5 times its original goal to bring the game to the English market. Hnng- It'll just have to be in the super back burner then. :'D

rincewind
Regular
Deviantart: rinceman

#45 Post by rincewind »

I have been playing Starlight Vega.
Already finished the three main routes, and now I have the extra route ahead. Also collected a nice amount of bad ending while triying to get all the routes.

Must say that I love the game. I really enjoyed the characters, the story, the music, the art.
Melody is my favorite. She's so sweet and caring. And also Smart, with capital S. But seeing her suffering in the other routes was a bit hard.
Also loved discovering the backstory. But I still have some doubts. Conflicting sources and none of them is entirely trustworthy.

Now after I finish the last remaining route, I will focus in finishing Kindred Spirits. Starlight Vega derrailed my attention.