Which romantic scenes would you like or expect to have cgs?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Quelcezot
Regular

Which romantic scenes would you like or expect to have cgs?

#1 Post by Quelcezot »

I'm curious about the kind of romantic scenes people enjoy being fully illustrated in their visual novels.

Please try to remember times when cgs felt very appropriate in visual novels you've read, for example a simple kissing scene or maybe something more outlandish but still romantic.

Are there certain scenes for which you feel cgs are often unnecessary but you've seen far too often, that might even feel cliche?

Any scenes you've never seen with accompanying cgs where you feel they might have been effective?

More generally I suppose, what would you personally value having a visual representation for when it comes to a romantic relationship between two characters?

Thanks for reading, even if you don't answer I wish you all the best in life. Really, it'd be nice if you did respond with something - but at this particular moment in time I just want to emphasise that as a fellow living being I am completely sincere.
LOVE & PEACE

If two people talk long enough they can explain how they feel, maybe.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: Which romantic scenes would you like or expect to have c

#2 Post by Googaboga »

I'm not terribly impressed by CG situations that can be plopped into nearly any other game of the same genre. For me the best CGs are CGs that really highlight what makes the game special. Either something specific about the character(s) in it, or something interesting about the setting the game takes place in, or something important to that game's story.

I don't mind if a game has one or two stock CG scenes, but the fewer the better.

There's one CG situation that I have personally gotten completely tired of seeing and that's the 'important NPC/LI in an apron and cooking/preparing food' CG. Sometimes the MC is also in the image, but either way I'd be very pleased if I never saw that type of CG in a game again :'D.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

#3 Post by MoonByte »

Since a CG is mostly "static" (one can make the work to change expressions, but usually it is still), it only makes SENSE when the situation is "stable" in my opinion.
Meaning, endings are usually a fitting moment and maybe two on the way (like the first romantic interaction with the love interest and one negative situation). The less love interests there are, the more CGs I usually do expect though, if it has any (at least, if it wasn't made by a One-Person-Team).

The minimum I usually expect to see when there are CHs is one per ending though.

Krel
Regular

#4 Post by Krel »

I think whether to put in a CG is less about the content and more about the importance of the moment in the story.

For example, if you've got two characters that are kissing every five minutes, then it seems less appropriate to put one instance in a CG.

However, if it's the moment when two characters are just forming a romantic relationship, no matter if it's as small as a hug or holding hands, there should be a CG.

In short: CGs for important events/relationship milestones.

Renmiou
Regular
Completed: The End of an Actress (sprite art), Blackberry Honey (contributing CG artist), Rising Angels: Hope, Black Closet, Tuesday, Chronicle Of Mars, Tristan & Iseult, Heiress II
Projects: Blackberry Honey, Mermaid of Zennor, Tristan & Iseult, Chronicles of Mars, etc.
Deviantart: Renmiou

#5 Post by Renmiou »

I sometimes wish CGs didn't necessarily focus on the whole figure (or the upper part of the figure, really).

It would be nice to see the kind of composition that you get to see in movies, like a close-up of hands touching as two people are sitting on a bench, or a CG with transition of just the feet standing and then them getting nearer because one of the characters stepped nearer to the other. In short, I would like more different framings and for the faces not to be always there. I guess because sometimes we are more aware of the sensation of a touch more than the face of the person, when we get close to them.

Quelcezot
Regular

#6 Post by Quelcezot »

Thanks for these responses, you've all given me a lot to think about.

To begin with, I find Googa's point interesting. I take it as wanting the art to complement the vn's individuality. In other words, using cgs that bring out the unique elements of a vn.

Even if it's an interesting scene, showing a "stock cg" could begin to break down the atmosphere. It's a little tricky, considering they might still fit really well. But being aware of cliches is important.

I actually really like aprons. But in general, it makes me reflect on how 'clothing reveal' cgs may be a waste when you have limited resources.

Moonbyte: Cgs being stable... They're definitely very popular for endings. And it makes sense. But cgs often strike me as moments outside of time. Cgs can capture an instant that would normally last only a moment. It seems to work both ways for me.

I'll take special note that you feel having cgs for endings are a good idea. It's probably a good way to signal an ending too. Using still cgs to indicate stability is probably a good way to wind down at the end of a hectic story.

Krelsin:Cgs can just be relationship milestones, yeah. I guess, it'll often come down to that. So rather than focusing on the whole visual novel, it's a more down to earth approach that focuses on what's important to characters. It's straight forward and unpretentious.

I suppose there must be a golden mean somewhere in between, or ideally places where the two ideas cross over.

I was hoping for some specific positive responses like this, Renmiou! I hadn't thought exactly like you're suggesting. Two hands touching. Feet. Hands and feet specifically, they're interesting. Really interesting. Very emotive, very romantic! Especially between two people. Wow, you actually just gave me a really great - specific - idea.
LOVE & PEACE

If two people talk long enough they can explain how they feel, maybe.

hellosanta

#7 Post by hellosanta »

Well, I like seeing CGs at the event of meeting the character for the first time (a first impression is important anyway), at the event which leads to character development (like milestone) and at the ending.

Mashiro-chi
Regular
Completed: Unplanned AMOUR
Projects: Wolf & Red's Lovestory,Familiar & Love
Tumblr: nyahtome
Deviantart: Mashiro-chi

#8 Post by Mashiro-chi »

Mine's almost same as Krelsin. I usually wish CG for romance scenes and important evens. And for less important event like two person walking and eating ice cream CG is unneeded.

I especially need Kiss CG's and it's usually annoying/sad when the texts says they're kissing and there's no CG.... unless they make out all the time of course.

And also I kinda wish less close up CG's, like holding hands or pointless zooming...

Fist impression and endings are also important.

Game dev blog:Tumblr

Sanhil222

#9 Post by Sanhil222 »

Krelsin wrote:I think whether to put in a CG is less about the content and more about the importance of the moment in the story.
I agree with Krelsin. It seems like picking the right time is important. If it pulls you out of the story, its the wrong time. Shopping for the right time isnt the way to do it.