How to promote your game?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Pinlin
Regular
Projects: Dark nights
Tumblr: darknightsblog
Deviantart: Pinlin

Re: How to promote your game?

#16 Post by Pinlin »

@papillon

There are more games made by indie groups/individuals than large companies. Does that mean those small groups/individuals are less trusted for releasing a game? Even companies fail to release their game on time and delay for years. I question the person who decides this on VNDB.
Green Glasses Girl wrote:But one thing I've noticed is that when it comes to releasing games, a lot of hype gets built from new faces when the release day is announced and countdown begins (for example "My game is released on May 30!-->10 more days!-->Released in a week!-->Released tomorrow!")
This is very helpful, thank you for this suggestion. I don't have a tumblr account at the moment, but I hope you can climb up fast in the community.

@Lesleigh63

Promoting is as important as working on the game itself. I'll try my luck with a few bloggers.

I've never heard about working under a studio. While the advantages of this sound logical, what do they expect in return? The game I'm working on is non-commercial. I don't expect studios to take projects that don't gain them profits.
Deviantart | Tumblr

Current project:

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#17 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Pinlin wrote: @Lesleigh63

I've never heard about working under a studio. While the advantages of this sound logical, what do they expect in return? The game I'm working on is non-commercial. I don't expect studios to take projects that don't gain them profits.
If they're putting out one (maybe two) projects a year, being able to showcase something in the interim months to keep their followers busy, happy and visiting their website may appeal to them, particularly if they think the quality of the VN they're showcasing won't damage their reputation. It was just a thought, I have no idea if it would work or not; but it was something I was planning to try myself when I had my game at a completed state.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#18 Post by papillon »

Pinlin wrote:@papillon

There are more games made by indie groups/individuals than large companies. Does that mean those small groups/individuals are less trusted for releasing a game?
Yes.

Because the failure rate for people with an idea for a great game, who have never made a game before, is incredibly high. Look at the WIP forum. Look at the seas of game ideas, many of which had some work done on them, which never came to fruition.

It is not at all reasonable to expect all indie work-in-progress games to be listed in the database.

List your game when it's ready.
Even companies fail to release their game on time and delay for years. I question the person who decides this on VNDB.
Sometimes, yes. And if a company's release fails to materialise for long enough, the game gets deleted from VNDB until there is an actual development update.