Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Just as the title says, I'm quite interested to know if there is a Visual Novel where the MC is the Love Rival or Antagonist of the 'Supposed' MC of the game?
I just read a light novel where a girl transmigrated (or was transported) to a game, and much to her surprise, she was placed in a body of the original Antagonist of said Otome Game. Now, she's doing everything she can to avoid the 'Destruction' End.
I'm very interested in these kinds of plot because majority of the Otome games, or let's just say, Visual games, usually have a Mary Sue MC that has wonderful stuff happening, and boys are falling over her left and right. Don't get me wrong, I also like those games, but yeah, it's really fun to read or play a game where it's ALL BACKWARDS. Like, the MC is the Love Rival of the Template MC.
Again, if this is not the right category for this kind of thread, then I'll take this down then post this in the right place.
I was thinking of working on a solo project about an MC that suddenly realizes she's a side character instead of the main character, and possibly even an antagonist/"unwanted third party". But I was afraid I'll be influenced by similar manga plot lines that I've read before, and I'm also occupied with a couple of group projects, so I shelved the idea. Personally, I'd love to play a VN that's something along these lines, or work on a similar project though!
- Posts: 283
- Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:35 pm
- Projects: Sedatophobia
- Organization: Team 3Edgy
- Deviantart: l-rossfellow
In my opinion, it's difficult to find a translated visual novel involving rivalry that does not also focus on infidelity. VNs which include infidelity are not always porn-without-plot. However, please keep in mind that not many of them are worksafe.Mikleo wrote:... I'm quite interested to know if there is a Visual Novel where the MC is the Love Rival or Antagonist of the 'Supposed' MC of the game?
I created a Visual Novel Database list of VNs with a (partial) English release in which the protagonist starts the story with a significant other, or in which the protag and another person form a solid relationship early in the story. I'm not sure how many of these stories are relevant...
Some other things to consider...
* As I said above, let the rivals be intelligent. One of the aspects of Edelweiss which I found frustrating was how inept the protagonist's friends were. I didn't think they were competent enough to threaten the protag.
* Also, consider lettng the rivals be respectable. The protagonists in the first two Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side games have four friends who can become rivals. They are normal people who are definitely not villains. That said, depending on what the protag does, she can remain friends with one or more of the girls, or she can watch her friendship turn into a rivalry.
* Rivalry can let the reader have an interesting perspective on fictional love interests. Let's say that in your story, the point of view character spends most of their time interacting with their friends and rivals. What does that say about their relationships? What does that say about the person who could have been the protagonist?
- Posts: 239
- Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:45 am
- Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
- Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
- Organization: Poison Apple Tales
- Tumblr: poisonappletales
- Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales
But I would say that War: 13th Day fits that bill in more ways than one. I don't think I can say much more without spoiling it, but it is a bit of a brain teaser - and a psychological trip.
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 pm
- Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
- Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
- Organization: Pilgrim Creations
- Github: xavi-mat
- itch: xavimat
- Location: Italy
P.S. they r flash game
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 712
- Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:09 pm
- Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
- Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince
Not to place a shameless plug here, but my story Pervert&Yandere is a bit like what you described but with a male MC: Richard (The pervert) is not a standard protagonist trope but rather the extravert best friend stories have for the sake of comic relief. He's the guy who, while the real MC was still around, was the overly confident classmate who gets mercilessly rejected by all the girls he asked out. When the MC dissapeared however, a new MC had to be chosen. And Richard would suffice. There are a few hints to this and Richard is still based upon this uncommon MC trope, but the ''MC is a side character' idea isn't actually a relevant plot point no more. If I look at the other projects I have planned though, uncommon and even unlikeable MC in a story is going to be a common trait for my work.
Want some CC sprites?
Users browsing this forum: No registered users