What is importan in a character?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
CarlyJane

Re: What is importan in a character?

#16 Post by CarlyJane »

Hmm...

What I really like in games and in movies etc is a character that develops over time, maybe their a bit silly or quiet at first I don't know whatever. Then you learn more about the character and start to see them from a different point of view. I love stories like those. A good example (not a vn but I'm sure you seen it before.) Is BoJack Horseman, that show looked terrible when it first started it look like another silly adult show, then over time you start to get to know Bojack and see different sides to him you start to relate to him (at least I did anyway.) You see different characters and how they interact with each other, you learn why they are the way they are.

A good vn a good character to me is one that changes my perspective or things or shows me their life their thought process through their lives.

And yes having a pretty character does help I know some people say it doesn't matter what the game looks like it only matters about story, although that's true people want some eye candy..

If you have stick figures and have an amazing story I don't know if anyone would bother? You need something eye catching, you need not only good art but good characters and story.

A lot of anime's do this they have such beautiful animations but the story is very eh and cliche and it makes me sad to see such characters have such a weak story..

You don't want to be that way you want to be the full package even if it takes a few years.

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#17 Post by Sonomi »

About names:

Coming from a background in programming, I can't say I wholly recommend using single letter names for most things in code, especially if others are going to be working on it with you. (Is that a Ren'Py convention?) Maybe it's just me though...I am fairly new to Ren'Py, so can disregard.
Fake Existence wrote:Aaaaand their background story... There was a time that I had my character's strong personality but I couldn't tell what made him that way >___> cos... I just created him like, voila! and didn't pay attention to how he was before and what made him a jerk. ._.
I agree with this. If you don't know where they came from, it can be difficult to tell what they want or where they'll go in the future. Backstory helps create motivations and personalities that readers can relate to. A real life example, I used to know someone who had a parent with a heart condition. This motivated that person to study medicine.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#18 Post by Zelan »

Sonomi wrote:About names:

Coming from a background in programming, I can't say I wholly recommend using single letter names for most things in code, especially if others are going to be working on it with you. (Is that a Ren'Py convention?) Maybe it's just me though...I am fairly new to Ren'Py, so can disregard.
Coding in dialogue using a single letter to represent a name is a convention of Ren'Py, yes. c: Even still, it does sometimes cause problems with coding the dialogue. People are good at catching mistakes most of the time, but every once in a while I've seen something slip through the cracks where some lines are said by the wrong person. It can take me out of the immersion as I try to figure out what's going on.