Best free visual novels

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
asatiir
Regular
Completed: Within the Walls (Twine)
Projects: Roses Will Rise
Organization: Asatiir's Tales
itch: asatiir

Re: Best free visual novels

#16 Post by asatiir »

Juniper's Knot always comes to mind. It's more of a kinetic novel than the interactive kind, but I always keep it around as a point of reference on what makes a VN pretty. Not only from an art's standpoint, but also from the way the transitions are handled and the UI.
https://dischan.co/downloads/

mard
Regular

#17 Post by mard »

Mammon wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned 'Cupid' yet, or 'The lady's choice'. And I also liked 'Ascension' by Impqueen/RinMaru but that one isn't on Lemmasoft. All Otome by the way.

For Otaku, my opinion here may be biased by inexperience (these are the first two VN I ever played) but I also liked Sunrider and Everlasting summer (but don't play Sunrider:Liberation day though, that one's aweful).
Liberation day isn't that bad. I do agree Samu-kun could have done better on the presentation of the story, but the story itself was still good. Not to mention the fact that Re[turn] is pretty funny to read.

Now then, if you want something good, Sengoku Rance: Quest for Hikari. The original release, though it may be close to 30 years old, is still amazing. Best thing is Alice Soft made the original open-source, and it is now catogorized as free-ware, and not shareware.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#18 Post by Mammon »

mard wrote:Liberation day isn't that bad. I do agree Samu-kun could have done better on the presentation of the story, but the story itself was still good. Not to mention the fact that Re[turn] is pretty funny to read.
He gave me the choice to import my choices from the previous game and then said 'Nope! I pick which girl is best girl, too bad if you want anyone else.' Making a story for just one girl's route in a harem VN is already a bad call, but he just rubbed salt in the wounds. When the polls said that Ava was best girl, he at least delivered well on that by giving her a lot of meaningful development while simultaneously keeping the others relevant. Here he just went straight for one girl with complete disregard to the others (and thus indirectly their fanbases)

I tried to come up with other VN, but someone else already mentioned all the ones worth mentioning that I can think of.
Last edited by Mammon on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

mard
Regular

#19 Post by mard »

Mammon wrote:
mard wrote:Liberation day isn't that bad. I do agree Samu-kun could have done better on the presentation of the story, but the story itself was still good. Not to mention the fact that Re[turn] is pretty funny to read.
He gave me the choice to import my choices from the previous game and then said 'Nope! I pick which girl is best girl, too bad if you want anyone else.' Making a story for just one girl's route in a harem VN is already a bad call, but he just rubbed salt in the wounds. When the polls said that Ava was best girl, he at least delivered well on that by giving her a lot of meaningful development while simultaneously keeping the others relevant. Here he just went straight for one girl with complete disregard to the others (and thus indirectly their fanbases)
One thing you have to remember is Liberation Day was never meant to be the end. From the story's perspective, that path made made sense. Even back in First Arrival you could see it was being pushed in that direction. Story-wise it was right. It's just the presentation was wrong. There were a lot of flaws with Liberation Day, and honestly, the romance bit was one of the most minor ones.

*will see if I can find a few to add later.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#20 Post by indoneko »

@mard & Mammon : I haven't played Samu-kun's Sunrider trilogy. Should I start with MoA or can I safely skip it and try LD instead?

And where can I download Sunrider:MoA outside the steam site? I tried the official site mentioned in lemmasoft thread, but the fileserver reported something about out of bandwith problem so I couldn't download it...
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

mard
Regular

#21 Post by mard »

You'll want to start with MoA. MoA is actually two games, First Arrival and MoA.

Not sure why you're having issues downloading it, I just tried and it downloaded without any issues.

Heres the direct download link from the website. http://sunrider-vn.com/SunriderMaskofArcadius-all.zip .

If you want to find it on the website, go here and scroll down to the bottom.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by indoneko »

@mard : Your link works. thanks! :3

The other one I tried before was linked to here :
https://app.box.com/shared/static/0c2ef ... 2r1p00.zip

Perhaps it's just a temporary mirror site for download, and run out of it's quota quickly
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

kenibatz
Completed: Natalie, Nobody Understands MIA
Tumblr: kenibatz
Deviantart: kenibatz
itch: kenibatz

#23 Post by kenibatz »

Katawa Shoujo

http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/

It's got some really positive reviews.

Thametiones

#24 Post by Thametiones »

hi. I enjoyed playing Cupid, especially now, while I'm forced to use ansomone because of some health problems. Playing this makes me feel relaxed and i don't have to think about this anymore! :wink: