Big Changes for Lemma Soft

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Herumutsu
Regular

#46 Post by Herumutsu »

There are both free and professional versions available for the ZoneAlarm-Firewall. It is recommended quite often, partly because it's not too hard getting used to it.
The advanced versions seem to have a lot of bells and whistles - whether or not that is a good thing is entirely a matter of what you expect from a software-based firewall.

As for Norton, as of late, things I hear about them aren't exactly as good as they were a couple of years ago.......I personally don't specifically recommend their products at this time, but keep in mind that this is mainly a matter of personal opinions. What is more important is how you actually use whatever firewall you chose to install.

Theoretically, the best software-based firewall available could be configured so it just sits around, letting things pass by and using up a lot of memory in the process. These days, where being infected with a trojan or the like can be a matter of less than 15 minutes of online-time without actually doing anything, setting up a working protection is very important.

After doing some research on the firewall mentioned by you, musical74, I located a tutorial which may be useful to you and other users of the same software.

It can be accessed through this link.

Not sure if it has been updated at all recently, but if you're not sure about the basics yet, it is definitely worth reading.

I am quite familiar with the workings of computer-security and always willing to aid those who seek to learn how to protect their important data, so if you are left with unanswered questions and any other experts you'd rather contact are unavailable, feel free to send me a pm. It doesn't matter how complicated or simple the question may be - when it comes to security and protection, the only stupid question is the one that has not been asked.

Also, you may want to check out the link in my signature, as it leads to a site that lists a lot of trusted support-boards full of useful information (tutorials, reports, software-reviews, etc.) and experts.

Sorry for rambling, but I felt my advice might come in handy for some, seeing as a related question had been asked in this thread.

As for the actual topic, as it was started by you, Blue Lemma, I will add that all of the lurkers I brought to these forums (or at least those who were with me at IRC within the last two weeks) also perfectly understand/support your decision and wish you the best of luck, as do I.