Ahh the time!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
SticksnTricks
Projects: City 25, or City of Ants

Ahh the time!

#1 Post by SticksnTricks »

So, I've been a lot busy doing some heavy writing. And I don't mean short stories or Ren'py writing... but like a book. And it's been holding me up for quite sometime. xD

I've hit a few snags in City of Ants but I feel that the game is coming along nicely. But having to balance college life really does give you a beating. There's a time where you have time... and when you don't.

So any of you guys have this same problem?

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

Re: Ahh the time!

#2 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

SticksnTricks wrote:So, I've been a lot busy doing some heavy writing. And I don't mean short stories or Ren'py writing... but like a book. And it's been holding me up for quite sometime. xD

I've hit a few snags in City of Ants but I feel that the game is coming along nicely. But having to balance college life really does give you a beating. There's a time where you have time... and when you don't.

I don't mean to traumatize you - but college was the last time I had any significant free time. Odds are, you'll only get more busy and get more demands on your time from here on.

I find I have to sacrifice other hobbies to get my projects done. I don't watch TV, movies, or read books much at ALL anymore. (I feel really bad about the reading books part.) It's like I can CONSUME media, or CREATE it. But not so much both.

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#3 Post by Rossfellow »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:
SticksnTricks wrote:So, I've been a lot busy doing some heavy writing. And I don't mean short stories or Ren'py writing... but like a book. And it's been holding me up for quite sometime. xD

I don't mean to traumatize you - but college was the last time I had any significant free time. Odds are, you'll only get more busy and get more demands on your time from here on.

I find I have to sacrifice other hobbies to get my projects done. I don't watch TV, movies, or read books much at ALL anymore. (I feel really bad about the reading books part.) It's like I can CONSUME media, or CREATE it. But not so much both.
Discipline is important, but so is inspiration. You'll want to find that balance between both. Being inspired by other media does wonders for your creativity too.
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

juunishi master
Regular
Organization: Linemancer Works
itch: juunishi-master

#4 Post by juunishi master »

Rossfellow wrote:
LateWhiteRabbit wrote:

Discipline is important, but so is inspiration. You'll want to find that balance between both. Being inspired by other media does wonders for your creativity too.
I always think that reading, watching movies, etc are the "fuel" for ideas. I need to keep it refilled every now and then in order not to get stuck. And, yeah, it's also a "cooldown" from working too.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#5 Post by SundownKid »

Yeah, college is literally the most free time you will ever get in your entire life outside of retirement or summer vacation. That is, unless you're cool with being poor and having a part time job.

There is less work load than high school and less time demand than work. So if you can't manage your time in college, well, I have some news for you.. :wink:

But yeah, there is definitely a conflict that creating media leaves you unable to consume it and vice versa.

Kkoro
Regular
Projects: False Elegy, Incompatible Species
Deviantart: 6kkoro

#6 Post by Kkoro »

I strongly believe that every creator needs to CONSUME in order to CREATE. The most famous writers will always tell you that you have to read as well. It's a must in order to be succesful.

Yes university is time consuming, and having a part time job next to it is very tiring. Sometimes you do have the time, and sometimes you don't. But... I think that's okay, you know? The most important thing is that you enjoy writing/drawing/etc. So that when you have the time to do it, you can give it your 110%. That's the key to succes.
Character Designer and Illustrator
Follow me on social media!

rincewind
Regular
Deviantart: rinceman

#7 Post by rincewind »

The time is my nemesis.

I don't have a lot of free time. And the little that I have, I'm horrible managing it.

And, to make things worse, I'm easily distracted. Is a recipe for disaster!

Root13

#8 Post by Root13 »

I have the same problems! I'm trying to plan my time spending, I was even looking for an app to help, but I just can't.. So many things happen around me, that destroy my concentration, and it's hard for me to focus on one thing..
But still I'm trying)

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#9 Post by Mammon »

If you don't have enough time during highschool, you won't have enough time after it either. Especially if you plan on working a stable job, get married and start a family.
juunishi master wrote: I always think that reading, watching movies, etc are the "fuel" for ideas. I need to keep it refilled every now and then in order not to get stuck. And, yeah, it's also a "cooldown" from working too.
Pretty much this, I tend to come up with a new character or storyline with every series that I watch, even though 29/30 of them aren't good, practical or an addition to something I already had. You just need to watch that one show that inspires something good. And if the last two months of internship are any suggestion to what working for real will be like, I won't have the free time to watch these shows any more, let alone getting inspired by them and writing out that inspiration.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?