Whats going on???

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#16 Post by rioka »

Thanks for your condolences, everyone. You didn't have to you know...

Uhh, anyways, in other (and less depressing) news: My sister is dragging me to see Doug Wilson at IKEA tomorrow for a book signing. She's probably going to make me drive too... <.<'
For those of you who don't know who he is, Doug Wilson is one of the designers in the series Trading Spaces on TLC. Trading Spaces was based on the British series Changing Rooms.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Whats going on???

#17 Post by mikey »

darkknight wrote:I decided to make this thread about

what is happing in the local area around you??

Just to keep you minds off the soon to be released games...
Oh, you said it, 24-25th it's the Bush-Putin summit in Bratislava - security everywhere, even my grocery shop nearby is going to be in one of the safety zones! All in all, many policemen are going around the city, every now and then an armored vehicle, more police and some MiGs overhead. :roll: Not to mention regular bus/trolleybus routes will not be working, all the trash cans in the centre will be removed and so on... So hopefully I won't have to work because of that :D

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#18 Post by Taleweaver »

He's in Mainz, Germany tomorrow, and the whole town is essentially devoid of people because of him. They had to seal all sewer manholes, even those that were only hamster-sized. Guess that guy is really afraid of Al-Quaida-trained hamsters...
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#19 Post by Blue Lemma »

Our brave commander-in-chief :P

Okay okay *doesn't get political* ^_^;

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#20 Post by PyTom »

Now I'm somewhat curious... What's the use of a hamster-sized manhole in the first place? I mean, if a man can't fit into a _man_hole, then what's the point?

Back when I was in DC, on a regular basis Marine One would fly past the lab where I worked. And don't get me started about the missile launchers...

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer

#21 Post by Taleweaver »

It's not really a manhole - it's a very small hole from which you can access a specific valve inside the sewers without having to go there. Still, they welded these things tight anyway... don't ask me why.

<irony>
Originally, I thought the U.S. was the land of the free and the home of the brave. Seeing how your civil liberties got shredded since 9-11, I now like to refer to America as the land of the not-so-free, and seeing your president, I think I could also call it the land of the not-so-brave...
</irony>

No, I'm not serious. I know there are plenty of U.S. citizens who neither stand behind their president nor behind the changes his government has brought to the country. I'm definitely not an America-hater. I just can't stop wondering how that obviously incompetent guy could get elected president twice.
More about me in my blog

darkknight
Veteran

#22 Post by darkknight »

All nations have a "bad time" in their history...9-11 till now is our bad time.

I am sure Germany has had it bad times
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Erik
Regular

#23 Post by Erik »

Taleweaver wrote:I just can't stop wondering how that obviously incompetent guy could get elected president twice.
Same here - but to both to get myself ontopic and to be honest, policticians here can't be called the smartest of people either :?
Anyway - not much interestign here other than that. Just end of the spring vacation - back to work.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac

#24 Post by Taleweaver »

All nations have a "bad time" in their history...9-11 till now is our bad time.

I am sure Germany has had it bad times
Let's only hope that your bad time doesn't get as bad as Germany's bad times... have you ever tried making a Google search for "Bush" and "fascism"? *shudder*
More about me in my blog

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#25 Post by Blue Lemma »

Friendly reminder: Let's not get too political here until there's a politics/any topic forum, okay? :D

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#26 Post by PyTom »

Taleweaver wrote:It's not really a manhole - it's a very small hole from which you can access a specific valve inside the sewers without having to go there. Still, they welded these things tight anyway... don't ask me why.
I'd imagine that it was to ensure that noone could hide explosives there. Even a small compartment could have an IED hidden in it. So it's best to check it, and then weld it shut to be sure noone can put anything in there afterwards.
<irony>
Originally, I thought the U.S. was the land of the free and the home of the brave. Seeing how your civil liberties got shredded since 9-11, I now like to refer to America as the land of the not-so-free, and seeing your president, I think I could also call it the land of the not-so-brave...
</irony>
I have no idea where you've gotten the idea that civil liberties have been "shredded" since 9/11... but they haven't. Sure, we passed a few laws making it easier for the FBI to investigate suspected terrorists... But most of them are conditioned on things like court approval, as mandated by our constitution.

I'd say that, in any case, the US remains more free than parts of Europe, where things like freedom of speech are not nearly as absolute.

I take great offense to calling America "not-so-brave", when American soldiers, marines, airmen, and sailors (along with our allies from around the world) are on the front lines of the war on terror. (Which is really a war aimed at providing an alternative to Islamic extremism by bringing democracy and freedom to the Arab world, where it has been lacking.)

You may disagree with our plan or our methods, but don't question our bravery.

As to the president... The guy flew fighter jets, not a job for the timid. He ran for US president, one of the most dangerous jobs in the world. (One in ten Presidents has been assassinated.) It would be foolhardy for him to walk into an unsecured area when the US is at war with people who would like nothing better than to kill him.
No, I'm not serious. I know there are plenty of U.S. citizens who neither stand behind their president nor behind the changes his government has brought to the country. I'm definitely not an America-hater. I just can't stop wondering how that obviously incompetent guy could get elected president twice.
I don't know how you come to the conclusion that the President is incompetent. I think he's doing a fairly good job. There hasn't been a terrorist attack on US soil since 9/11. Our strategy of bringing democracy to the middle east has borne fruit in Afghanistan and Iraq, and it looks like it's starting to take hold in Lebanon and Palestine, as well as elsewhere in the middle east. Al Qaeda has been deprived of its leaders and financiers, as well as the use of training camps.

On the economic front, the economy has recovered, and things are going fairly well. So no problems there, except maybe the falling dollar. (Maybe... I'm not sure how much of a problem that is in practice.)

You may disagree with the President. I do so on several issues, such as gay marriage and stem cell research. But I don't think it's right to call someone incompetent simply because you disagree with them.

As for the fascist charge... it's hard to dignify that with a response. I should point out that before the election there was a huge industry selling books and movies mocking and criticising the president, and nary a police raid in sight. Now, if you want fascism, check out Iraq before April of 2003...

darkknight
Veteran

#27 Post by darkknight »

It snowing....
Nothing is better than a day off because of the snow.
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#28 Post by Sai »

Its been snowing on and off here in the UK too....
But I still need to go out in it probably. Unless it gets real bad and I can't make it ._. I hope not. Uni isnt like school, youre not in 5 days a week, so coming in on the days you are supposed to, is more important. Its also all on your own initiative but of course, I want to go to get feedback.
I think the snow is pretty. But I hope it doesnt come down too bad >_<
I also have a cold (snow and a cold, nice combination o.o )

darkknight
Veteran

#29 Post by darkknight »

Uni????
If that is university...My classes were canceled, I do go 5 days a week
And I was able to call out from work muhahahaha

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#30 Post by Sai »

Hmm well I dont know if all Uni is like this but (in my own experiences) it is mostly your own initiative etc. so more is left to you, rather than dictated classes... ^^ Um in England you stop school at 16. Can go to either sixth form (like higher school) or college. Sixth form seems like a waste but useful if you arent sure by then *exactly* what you want to do. Then Uni at 18... Of course theres other ways and you can return to education (college/uni) at age 30 etc., a person might not even go to Uni but work instead, but you get the idea.

College I had to go 5 days a week I think. But Uni is a maximum of 4 classes. Depends on how they are timetabled as to how much you go in. If you're lucky you could have 2 classes one day, 2 classes another. Then that is 2 days of lessons. That is better really, gives you more time. Most work is done outside class, on your own initiative, at home or in Uni (voluntarily) etc. I like that better personally but I can see others becoming complacent I guess.

Maybe other courses are different though. I don't have any exams for example (marked solely on coursework, because its an art course).
Also different Universities may do things differently. Especially the grading system.

This is all probably obvious... but it is kind of interesting how different things can be with something as similar as the overall idea of University or education...

Of course, even though I go *in * less days, doesn't mean I work less days. Didn't go 'in' today, but still worked all day x_x Seems more like a work 7 days a week most the time, especially as with art (and of course lots of other stuff) theres never just one solution to a project but limitless numbers of concepts you develop o.o