List of Visual Novel Genres/Types/Terms?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
RedOwl
Regular
Projects: < /reality >
Tumblr: realityvn

List of Visual Novel Genres/Types/Terms?

#1 Post by RedOwl »

Hi everyone!

[disclaimer] I searched for a topic addressing this question, but couldn't find anything. Sorry if this post is redundant! Please direct me to the right place. :) [/disclaimer]

I'm a long-time writer/artist, but I'm new to the visual novel scene (started my first VN this summer). It's been really fun discovering the visual novel community! I'm very impressed by all the awesome creativity happening here. However, something I've noticed while learning and researching lately is that there are many VN-specific terms that I am only mildly familiar with, or sometimes complete unfamiliar with.

So, I was hoping that those of you who have more experience could point me in the right direction. Is there a web page that has definitions for all these terms in one place? Do you folks want to make our own master list here in this topic? Has that already been done? I think this would also be useful for others who are new to the VN community.

Here are the terms I've encountered so far, and their definitions (as far as I understand them! Please correct me/expand if necessary):

UPDATE: edited the list - thanks trooper6, Caveat Lector, Taleweaver and SundownKid.
  • Kinetic or KN (a VN without choices)
  • Otome (female protagonist with male romance options)
  • Bishoujo (male protagonist with female romance options)
  • Eroge (18 + content)
  • Yuri (GxG)
  • BL/Yaoi (BxB romance aimed at a straight female audience)
  • Bara (BxB romance aimed at a gay male audience)
  • OELVN (original english language visual novel)
  • EVN (english visual novel)
  • Denpa (?? Insanity??)
  • Utsuge (somber/depressing throughout)
  • Nakige (sad but with a hopeful atmosphere or ending)
  • Nukige (extreme focus on sex)
  • ADV style (text at the bottom of the screen)
  • NVL style (text overlapping the characters and BG)
  • Hybrid VN (a VN with video game aspects like puzzles or RPG)
  • Stat Raiser (VN with gameplay involving planning out day by day activities)
Are there other terms you would add to this list? Help inform a VN newbie! :P
Last edited by RedOwl on Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Please give me Honest Critique!~

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: List of Visual Novel Genres/Types/Terms?

#2 Post by indoneko »

You could try browsing the VN tags here... https://vndb.org/g
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

BL also Yaoi is BxB romance aimed at a straight female audience.
Bara is BxB romance aimed at a gay male audience.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#4 Post by Caveat Lector »

Utsuge/Nakige (depressing/will make you cry? Are these 2 different things?)
Yes. They're similar, but the difference between the two is that an utsuge is more or less somber/depressing from beginning to end; a nakige (not to be confused with nukige) has sad events, but still a bright/hopeful atmosphere or ending.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

RedOwl
Regular

#5 Post by RedOwl »

Thanks for the suggestion and clarifications! ^_^

I edited the first post to reflect the clarifications.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#6 Post by Taleweaver »

There's also the nukige, which is a sub-form of eroge with an extreme focus on the sex aspect. In an eroge, you'd be the only male teacher at a girls' academy. In a nukige, you'd be the only male teacher at a girls' academy for the study of different sexual positions.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#7 Post by SundownKid »

ADV and NVL, refer to different types of textual display.

Most EVNs are ADV style, with the text at the bottom of the screen. NVL style have the text overlapping the characters and BG.

You are correct about the Otome and Bishoujo definitions.

I would also add "Hybrid VN" for a VN with video game aspects like puzzles or RPG aspects but that doesn't fall into the typical definition of one of those games due to the sheer size of the story.

There's also "stat raiser" to refer specifically to VNs with gameplay involving planning out day by day activities. Cherry Tree High School Comedy Club, for example.

dfbreezy
Regular
Completed: Episicava, Analistica Academy.
Projects: Rainbow dreams, ADV Tale, A Noble Conquest.
Organization: Epicworks
Deviantart: Epic-works
Soundcloud: Epic_Works
itch: epic-works

#8 Post by dfbreezy »

This Site helps alot in describing terminology.
ImageImage ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

Something that can be confusing if you're not initially aware of it is the difference between BxG and GxB. The one that comes first is the gender of the player character (i.e. otomes are GxB). It's a little thing, but it makes a huge difference in terms of what some people will play.

Also - I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I tend to see BxG a lot more than Bishoujo on here, so it might not be as widely used as otome (which I still see pretty frequently).

If characters can be multiple genders, a slash is usually used. (For example, a game where you play as a female that has male and female romance options would be GxB/G or GxG/B.)

This may not be relevant for you, but for the few projects here that I've seen with agender protagonists/love interests, an X is usually used to represent the agender character. (For example, a game with an agender protagonist and male and female love interests would be XxG/B or XxB/G.) It's a little odd since X is already used in the notation, and an 'A' would probably work just as well, but there aren't many projects with agender love interests to begin with.

I hope that was helpful! I can't say that I know much about the other tags - I got into VNs from the Western side rather than the Japanese ones. Although, if these terms are confusing and/or irrelevant to your project, it would be okay to just use tags like [Mystery], [Psychological], [Horror], [Fantasy]; it's becoming more commonplace on LSF. c:

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#10 Post by Rossfellow »

trooper6 wrote:BL also Yaoi is BxB romance aimed at a straight female audience.
I'm curious- What's the difference?
ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

KittyWills
Regular
Projects: e·phem·er·al, Aeronaut
Organization: KKBGames

#11 Post by KittyWills »

Rossfellow wrote:
TLDR; definition.

Yaio tends to have very feminine men. And your classic Uke/Seme stereotypes.

Bara tends to have very buff and muscular men and the uke/seme stereotypes are rare with both sides having similar body types.
Also switching top/bottom roles is pretty common with bara.
It's more complex then that, but I'm not the one to explain the cultural and minute details. lol

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#12 Post by trooper6 »

Rossfellow wrote:
As KittyWells said, it is complicated.

The wikipedia page on Yaoi has some information on the differences between Yaoi and Bara as well as some of the controversies and criticisms of BL:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaoi
This article on Male Homosexuality and Popular Culture also talks about some of the tensions around gay representations by women for women:
http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue3/mclelland2.html
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

RedOwl
Regular

#13 Post by RedOwl »

Wow, thanks everyone, for all the information!! This is so interesting and helpful!
Zelan wrote:Something that can be confusing if you're not initially aware of it is the difference between BxG and GxB. The one that comes first is the gender of the player character (i.e. otomes are GxB). It's a little thing, but it makes a huge difference in terms of what some people will play.

Also - I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I tend to see BxG a lot more than Bishoujo on here, so it might not be as widely used as otome (which I still see pretty frequently).

If characters can be multiple genders, a slash is usually used. (For example, a game where you play as a female that has male and female romance options would be GxB/G or GxG/B.)

This may not be relevant for you, but for the few projects here that I've seen with agender protagonists/love interests, an X is usually used to represent the agender character. (For example, a game with an agender protagonist and male and female love interests would be XxG/B or XxB/G.) It's a little odd since X is already used in the notation, and an 'A' would probably work just as well, but there aren't many projects with agender love interests to begin with.

I hope that was helpful! I can't say that I know much about the other tags - I got into VNs from the Western side rather than the Japanese ones. Although, if these terms are confusing and/or irrelevant to your project, it would be okay to just use tags like [Mystery], [Psychological], [Horror], [Fantasy]; it's becoming more commonplace on LSF. c:
Thanks so much for these clarifications. I wasn't aware of most of these details. After reading your post, I realized I could actually update the tags on my game to GxB and BxG, although that seems a bit odd... however, there are two perspective characters in my game, one male and one female. And the player can choose to pursue romance from either perspective. So, I guess it's technically correct? Please advise, haha.
dfbreezy wrote:This Site helps alot in describing terminology.
Thank you! Definitely a useful page/website. :)

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#14 Post by SundownKid »

RedOwl wrote:Thanks so much for these clarifications. I wasn't aware of most of these details. After reading your post, I realized I could actually update the tags on my game to GxB and BxG, although that seems a bit odd... however, there are two perspective characters in my game, one male and one female. And the player can choose to pursue romance from either perspective. So, I guess it's technically correct? Please advise, haha.
Yes, that would be correct. Though I think BxG or GxB implies some degree of non-optional romance for each route, where, say, a girl might be uncomfortable playing through it if it was BxG, and vice versa. I might be wrong though.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#15 Post by Zelan »

RedOwl wrote:Thanks so much for these clarifications. I wasn't aware of most of these details. After reading your post, I realized I could actually update the tags on my game to GxB and BxG, although that seems a bit odd... however, there are two perspective characters in my game, one male and one female. And the player can choose to pursue romance from either perspective. So, I guess it's technically correct? Please advise, haha.
Yep, you would use both tags for yours!
SunDownKid wrote:Yes, that would be correct. Though I think BxG or GxB implies some degree of non-optional romance for each route, where, say, a girl might be uncomfortable playing through it if it was BxG, and vice versa. I might be wrong though.
I feel like seeing one tag would probably be enough for most people to click on a project even if they aren't huge fans of playing as the reverse. I could be wrong about that, though, since I'll play pretty much anything regardless of the genders in romances as long as the story is interesting.