Coding on the cloud

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
unicodepepper

Coding on the cloud

#1 Post by unicodepepper »

So, as all of you probably already know, ren'py heavily depends on being installed on the disk, for a lot of different purposes. However, I spent a long while without a computer, and my creative itch was still pushing me, so I had to find a way to keep making games. I tried with an usb stick but it sucked so I just uploaded it to Google Drive and installed the desktop client whenever I wanted to write on it but that sucked too and I stopped doing it.

But then I realized I had everything backed up on my google account

So I can just open Drive in any browser and open the .rpy files using Drive Notepad, which is a third-party online app that lets you edit your files without downloading

So yeah, basically, I can make visual novels wherever and whenever I can log my google account in, even on my cellphone. I have to download it to test it, however

Any opinions?

Biomass
Regular

Re: Coding on the cloud

#2 Post by Biomass »

I'm more impressed that you can tolerate coding on a cellphone.

I'm the type of coder that has to test every 3rd line I write, so this wouldn't work for me personally. Google doesn't doesn't have a way for you to build and test.

aeri
Regular
Projects: Thereafter: A Medieval Life, What happens on camera doesn't always stay on camera, etc.
Organization: Meraki Tales
Tumblr: merakitales
itch: merakitales

Re: Coding on the cloud

#3 Post by aeri »

I say whatever works for you, then it is all good ^ ^

I have heard some people have insecurities about having their data/items/documents/etc. on the cloud, and it is probably for good reasons. But of course this could all he speculations. (I myself have a lot of things on Google drive since I work on documents when I have lunch break at work).