Why are you making your current visual novel?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#16 Post by Zelan »

Fuseblower wrote:So, there you have it in a nutshell :D
A pretty large nutshell. But that was a good lesson. :D Thanks for that!

asatiir
Regular
Completed: Within the Walls (Twine)
Projects: Roses Will Rise
Organization: Asatiir's Tales
itch: asatiir

#17 Post by asatiir »

My game had a bumpy start and I didn't know where I was going with it, it wasn't even built on Ren'py to begin with. I started on RPGMaker VX Ace and was planning for it to be a first person dungeon crawler. It was supposed to be a 2 week thing, since I was panicking out of the uncertainty about being called for military service for 9 months.

During that time, somehow Google Drive completely screwed up the files and I had to start from scratch. At that point I scrapped the original idea and decided to make it an SRPG, thinking that I wouldn't worry about level design anymore and focus on story as I intended. The service call abruptly came out of nowhere and I didn't manage to finish it in time, and during the service I thought since it happened I might as well just take the time to fully form the story better since I'm now where I dreaded being anyway.

The story went through several drafts just to get the writing right (and still is even a year after that military draft), but somewhere down the line in middle of those 9 months I decided Ren'py would make my the process of telling the story and directing the cutscenes much easier than on RPGMaker. Its still a strategy RPG as I planned, more VN elements had seeped into it as I kept working on it and the characters and world are a lot fleshed out than before.

I'm still at a very early stage of the game, I have a habit of getting distracted from projects but that hardly happened with this game. I'm aiming to have a demo of the first chapter this coming May if stick to schedule, really hoping I have the demo ready in time.

https://asatiir.itch.io/roses-will-rise

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#18 Post by Hijiri »

Mammon wrote:I checked the OP posts of your projects, there is no mention of it being 'Intellectual open source', plenty of people won't feel comfortable making a spin-off or fanfic of your work if they don't you'll condone or even support it. While seeing that it is might motivate some people to keep possible fanfiction in mind as they play your game.
Haven't done anything like that since I've still got my teeth in them. The day I hang it up, I'll release the universe bible I've made and let people have at it however they like.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Cause

#19 Post by Cause »

I'm writing stuff all the time. Recently I got into VNs. They're a powerful medium, if you're willing to invest the time. My first attempt was a hilarious failure. I tried to make a multichapter fantasy drama with lots of decisions and options.

Needless to say, I dropped it, as it was way too ambitious for a first try. Now I'm writing about stuff I experienced or wittnessed. My current project is a VN about an asexual girl trying to figure out what to do with her life and asexuality. It's inspired by my teenage best friend I have recently met again. I was madly in love with her, but she just wasn't capable of intimacy. That depressed me to no end back then. And at one point I even cut contact. Guess I just want to understand her PoV. That's why I've been all over asexuality boards and sites.

Maybe I'll even get a good friend back. That'd be awesome.

Parataxis
Regular
Projects: Shadow City, Scribbles!
Tumblr: asktheprismguard

#20 Post by Parataxis »

I actually began work on my current project as a TV series. It was sort of a self project since the demographic was the sort of thing that would probably never get made ever. But every so often I would come across some way that it might be possible if only I had some skill or other. (A Webcomic, a series of animated shorts) Eventually my sister recommended that it might might a pretty compelling visual novel and after some investigation I agreed. I have been retooling the idea into a more interactive medium ever since.

Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

#21 Post by Sonomi »

It's good to see so many people who are passionate about their projects! To everyone who has already released a VN, congrats on your achievement. And those who are still working, keep at it, because I'm certain that we would all love to see what you make.

I've had a little more time to think about my reason too, so I thought I'd share it as well. I'm making a visual novel because it's something that I can do to take my mind off of other things. It's fun, even if I'm not very good at it, and I've always loved stories in most forms.

dfbreezy
Regular
Completed: Episicava, Analistica Academy.
Projects: Rainbow dreams, ADV Tale, A Noble Conquest.
Organization: Epicworks
Deviantart: Epic-works
Soundcloud: Epic_Works
itch: epic-works

#22 Post by dfbreezy »

I like reading Visual novels. The combination of art/animation, music and words creates a semblance, which to me, paperback can never surpass.

Then three nights in a row i have weird dreams. After the second one i swore to myself, that if a third one occurs, i would write all three down and take the best parts of each. the third one happened. That was the birth of Episicava.

Same with Rainbow Dreams, only that it was a single dream. I'm a writer who dreams up ideas and works on them. Kinda corny, but it's very comfortable for me. I chose to make Episicava a VN as opposed to an LN, because of Comyu. The part in Mayuki's route about the Acceptor thing made me think "Mmm.. Episicava would feel better as a VN rather than an LN".
ImageImage ImageImage

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#23 Post by Catlip Candy »

dfbreezy wrote:Then three nights in a row i have weird dreams. After the second one i swore to myself, that if a third one occurs, i would write all three down and take the best parts of each. the third one happened. That was the birth of Episicava.
Wow :shock: I don't know if that's creepy or just amazing XD I've dreamed several dreams that keep visiting me in my sleep, not once but thrice, but never consecutively. Could yours be premonitions? :shock: 8)

Good luck in your VNs!~
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

rock_an9el
Regular
Completed: Midnight's Cafe, Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: Hush hush
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#24 Post by rock_an9el »

Why?
Hmm... Because somehow, my friend and I got a really cool idea for a visual novel and then we just went for it. And, in our opinion, it's the best idea we've had so far, especially because we've just been enjoying ourselves so much with thinking about how our characters would react to this, or how they would react to that, or how something would affect them and we're just... loving every moment of it. Also, this game (ShizoValentine) was a product of many of the conversations Didules and I had where something awesome just hit us. There are a lot more ideas in our idea box which we got through silly conversations, so our current WIP game is just one among the many. And I just hope we'll be able to make at least half of our ideas come true.
Image Image Image

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

#25 Post by TheJerminator15 »

I guess the reason why is simply that my imagination torments me to no end and has done since I was a kid. I used to satisfy it with video games, mainly RPGs. After a while of playing games, watching films/anime etc my imagination and the stories it was forming got worse and worse. Got some nice words and praise for short stories I used to write so decided I might dab my hand at writing a novel and visual novel, which helps with this imagination of mine.

Not much, but it helps. Plus I'm studying Game Design and have loved VNs since I discovered them a few years back so wanted to make one.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

Metatype

#26 Post by Metatype »

I'm mostly a writer with a little programming experience so I thought I might combine the both of them. The idea itself came from several visual novels I've seen that made me laugh so I decided I wanted to write one that shouldn't be taken seriously. I'm keeping it short though since I'm nowhere near confident to attempt anything long.

Sieghardt
Organization: Studio Whitewings
Tumblr: studiowhitewings
itch: studiowhitewings

#27 Post by Sieghardt »

I keep writing epic stories with a lot of lore, history and events but they end up being too much to realize with the budget I have so I wanted to cut a little slice out of one of those worlds just to actually release something

UPA

#28 Post by UPA »

I'm an artist who wanted to focus on comic books, but I prefer writing traditional fiction, and tend to focus on dialoge.

Right now, I'm making a game because a particular spot in history interested me. I've always liked explorer novels and eastern culture. Then I started reading waaay too much Kipling in preparation for another hobby, and ended up getting inspired. My first game is just testing the waters, to make sure I get something finished before I go for something bigger.

sendo
Veteran
Completed: To Libertad, Diamond Rose, SC2VN, Sickness VN
Projects: eroges!
itch: sendo

#29 Post by sendo »

In general, I make VNs because it's the best format for my stories.

But for my current project, it's a combination of stuff I want to see more of and a personal challenge of how I can push my art and programming skills. My current project is gameplay-heavy (a Shop Simulation + RPG). But really, more than anything, it's a story that I'm having fun writing about :3
Finished VNs:
Image Image

磯七ラスミ
Regular
Projects: If Facts Aren't Alibi | 盲点に日光 (Mōten ni Nikkō) | Nest, Treetop | Untail Wire Stretch

#30 Post by 磯七ラスミ »

Because I have something to tell. Something more. Something than requires a context for being considered. It's fun to make, very free and I can be myself while developing my own life and my own scenarios.

And because it is hard to find something that is like what I dream. Rainbows and unicorns aren't enough, twisted dark puppets don't nail it. Science and monsters try hard to appeal me, but they still far.