Why are you making your current visual novel?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Message
Author
User avatar
chlorofinite
Regular
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:52 pm
Projects: Cicada
Organization: Sweet Rose Tea
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#31 Post by chlorofinite » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:45 am

Because I like my OCs.

Also because I somehow fell in love with bishoujo games at around 11 years old or so (a totally appropriate age), and have maintained this as an interest since then.

So I guess I like seeing my characters come to life in a format I've obsessed over. Though I'm not particularly good at writing. At all.
(insert after-post anxiety here)

User avatar
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 701
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#32 Post by Katy133 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:28 pm

I make visual novels because I have an idea for a story that I feel compelled to share. I feel like if I don't "write it out of my system," the idea will keep bugging me until I do.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

User avatar
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2366
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#33 Post by Zelan » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:18 pm

chlorofinite wrote:Because I like my OCs.
I like this way of phrasing it.

DeeCee
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:34 pm
Location: San Jose, CA
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#34 Post by DeeCee » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm starting my current project because I work on PC games normally and wanted to get into adult themed VN that I play in my free time.
I'm a scripter if anyone want to collab

User avatar
thebackup
Veteran
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:36 pm
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux
Organization: PixaelSoft
Location: Southern CA
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#35 Post by thebackup » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:32 pm

chlorofinite wrote:Because I like my OCs.
This as well, though, it's more like "love." It's just so satisfying creating OCs and giving them a world to interact in. And with the current set of characters I'm using now, I've been refining them for a very, very long time, using them in various projects along the way. It's amazing to see how much they've grown throughout the years, and seeing what they've become of now.

In a more general sense, anime. Being exposed to anime-styled VNs so much I wanted to create my own. It's kind of like creating your own anime series. Heck, I can say the VN I'm working on now (and the one before that) drew influences from... a certain anime series. :)
My online portfolio and Memoria blog (a VN in progress)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Play the Café Memoria Deux Demo

User avatar
hikarinakano
Regular
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 pm
Location: The desk.
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#36 Post by hikarinakano » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:58 pm

Because I want to.
I can't really come up with anything better.
I feel like writing a few hundred thousand words, I feel like composing a few dozen tracks, and I feel like drawing a ton of character expressions and backgrounds.
I don't have any other reason, actually.
I tried to make one up, but I can't. There's no passion in it at all, but there's a ridiculous amount of drive, which is what's propelling the project forwards.

User avatar
nekobara
Regular
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:06 pm
Location: Outer Space
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#37 Post by nekobara » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:34 pm

hikarinakano wrote:There's no passion in it at all, but there's a ridiculous amount of drive, which is what's propelling the project forwards.
No passion?! Your drive must be fantastic and quite powerful indeed. I'm not sure whether to pity or envy you. You see, I admire those with such determination. But if there is truly no fruit of passion blooming in your breast as you fulfill your project, then I feel that it must be rather sad. Do you never feel as if you are missing something? Or is your desire to finish enough to make you forget the emptiness?
*meow*

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 3037
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:05 am
Location: Your monitor
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#38 Post by Imperf3kt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:11 am

I'm not able to say the same.
Plenty of passion, a little bit of drive, but motivation stores are bankrupt.

Why am I making my current VN? Because I spent four years writing it for fun, with the original intent of making a 3D animation, and found that it worked better as a visual novel. Or maybe more of a kinetic novel, since right now there's only one path.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Twitter
Imperf3kt Blackjack - a WIP blackjack game for Android made using Ren'Py
Free Android GUI - Updated occasionally

User avatar
Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 712
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:09 pm
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#39 Post by Mammon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:51 am

chlorofinite wrote:Because I like my OCs.
I'll be the fourth one to give this argument. Knowing my next projects-to-be, my OC's will only be getting more extreme assholes from here on out. :twisted:

(Yes I know I already had my turn)
hikarinakano wrote:Because I want to.
I can't really come up with anything better.
I feel like writing a few hundred thousand words, and I feel like drawing a ton of character expressions and backgrounds.
I don't have any other reason, actually.
I tried to make one up, but I can't. There's no passion in it at all, but there's a ridiculous amount of drive, which is what's propelling the project forwards.
Although this one feels familiar too, it's what I meant when I said 'boredom'. I had the motivation of completing it and the motivation to improve it to the best I could make. Not in it for the money, although I do like to hear that people read my work.
'My motivation is to finish my VN. Not to make it popular, not to make it mindblowing. Just to make it and finish it.' Would that be a good way to phrase your motivation Hikarinakano?
Last edited by Mammon on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

User avatar
hikarinakano
Regular
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 pm
Location: The desk.
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#40 Post by hikarinakano » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:23 am

Just Hikari is fine :| I didn't think that through.

Anyways, sort of.
I'm only invested in the project because I want it to be absurdly good.
That said, I still do it out of boredom.
It's like what you said, with the difference that if it's something I make, it better be more than decent.

User avatar
Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 712
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:09 pm
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#41 Post by Mammon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:53 am

hikarinakano wrote:It's like what you said, with the difference that if it's something I make, it better be more than decent.
You say that as if I wasn't my own harshest critic. :lol: I too wanted it to be absurdly good, and kept pushing myself to make it as good as I could and then even better. Once it was published however I stopped phrasing it as such because it would suggest that P&Y is either good or my A game is decent at best. And I'm too...selfloathing let's go with humble, I'm too humble to claim my own work to be any good.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

User avatar
Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:15 pm
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles
Location: Ohio
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#42 Post by Scribbles » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Because I'm a writer, and love the idea of visual, choose-your-own-path novels!

I suck at coding, and don't like my art enough to use it so I've been paying to commission other artists, aaaaand... I still really like it. Even when I spend all day angrily pacing and trying several different ways of writing like 3 lines of code and it keeps failing because I suck, I still like it. I'm hoping I keep improving and eventually be able do this regularly while making enough to pay the asset creators I have to hire lol
Image - Image -Image

User avatar
hikarinakano
Regular
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:56 pm
Location: The desk.
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#43 Post by hikarinakano » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:46 pm

nekobara wrote:No passion?! Your drive must be fantastic and quite powerful indeed. I'm not sure whether to pity or envy you. You see, I admire those with such determination. But if there is truly no fruit of passion blooming in your breast as you fulfill your project, then I feel that it must be rather sad. Do you never feel as if you are missing something? Or is your desire to finish enough to make you forget the emptiness?
And then suddenly, a post that I didn't see.
nekobara wrote:But if there is truly no fruit of passion blooming in your breast as you fulfill your project, then I feel that it must be rather sad.
Not really. When I'm working on it, it feels more like I'm actually working instead of sitting at school, which is a thrill in its own right.
Though...
nekobara wrote:Or is your desire to finish enough to make you forget the emptiness?
I suppose this isn't untrue.
I work (and overwork) for the sake of working, but the thought of finishing also drives me significantly. I guess I felt like I needed something to want, so I decided to want to finish this project. I mean, aside from this, I have no goals besides "being successful". When you don't have any short-term goals, you end up with a lot of free time to fill. If that makes sense.

HypnoChanger
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:23 am
Projects: Adventure High
Deviantart: HypnoChanger
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#44 Post by HypnoChanger » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:46 pm

Non-Serious answer: Because Fable was a disappointment.

Serious answer: Because I wanted to make a game where player choice can have a tangible impact on the majority of the story, rather than just cosmetically changing a few unimportant details while having largely the same story with one or two different endings.

jeshii
Regular
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:25 am
Contact:

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#45 Post by jeshii » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:01 am

HypnoChanger wrote:Non-Serious answer: Because Fable was a disappointment.

Serious answer: Because I wanted to make a game where player choice can have a tangible impact on the majority of the story, rather than just cosmetically changing a few unimportant details while having largely the same story with one or two different endings.
lol fable.. had so much potential, but what a let down..!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]