Why are you making your current visual novel?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#61 Post by Kokoro Hane »

The reason I am making my main project is, well, it first started out as last year's NaNoRenO but then it transformed into a larger story. What was supposed to be a rather silly project ended up becoming more meaningful down the line as the story developed and I dare consider this, despite its simplicity, one of my best writings. Which is weird, since I'm more of a fantasy/sci-fi writer (especially post-apocalyptic) rather than a slice-of-life writer. On top of that, since it will be free with fully voiced dialogue, I am making it--aside from sharing a fun and meaningful story to people--to let people experience a visual novel to its fullest without risking any cash. Ambitious? Yes. But understanding full well when money is tight and you can't always buy as much games as you want, I want people to have a good quality novel with voice acting to provide the full experience, especially to new visual novel players. This project has a piece of my heart in it and my team and I are pretty proud of it, so we look forward to share it in its soon to be released short version and especailly the full version. Also, I follow my Grandpa's motto; "if you can't find what you want, make it yourself!"

But I think the biggest drive I have is to finally finish a project of this magnitude. My first NaNo was in 2012 and again, it was an ambitious project that grew beyond a jam and sadly sits in development hell at 68,000+ words (which I have already beaten with my new game in less than a year whilst that took over a year). The reason my first project was abandoned was due to the loss of one of my voice overs, who was also the first member of my team. We were really close and I couldn't replace him, and before he died, he asked me to keep making visual novels even if it wasn't that one, so for all my games that I make--the main motivation is to keep my promise to him. In fact, it was that promise that made me try again... for awhile, I couldn't even touch Ren'Py for more than a year. I know that I WILL finish my current large-scale project and make him and my studio proud!

Haha sorry this post was kinda long ^.^;
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

pinto minto
Regular
Projects: Skeletons of a Demon

#62 Post by pinto minto »

I wanted to see VNs that had lesbian/bi characters, and I wanted the stories to focus on them only. It was especially important for me to have them be masculine in appearance and in personality. It's the biggest reason why I'm making the one I am now, which I haven't posted yet, but I'm incredibly excited to, and it will be my first one.

puffinlady
Regular
Completed: Soundless, Three Lilies
Projects: POLYCHROMANIA, 7388
Organization: milk+ visual
Tumblr: milkplusvn
itch: milkplus

#63 Post by puffinlady »

Serious answer: I've always wanted to make a visual novel. Period. Ever since I read my first VNs (Yume Miru Kusuri, Ever17) I wanted to do something like that. Before VNs I always wanted to share my various stories stored away in my brain, but manga/comics were too difficult for me to manage and the process of publishing a book scared me away...and so I've been learning how to use Ren'Py and Photoshop since middle school and have been drawing & writing since I learned how to hold a pencil.

Also a serious answer: increase the yuri
"A novel is never anything but a philosophy put into images." - Albert Camus
Posts written outside of our WIP/Completed threads are written by papaya

Image Image
Three Lilies | POLYCHROMANIA

BaronTilde

#64 Post by BaronTilde »

Roped into it by friends...

Well, not completely roped in. It's a good chance to actually write something for once, which is a passion of mine I have always been too afraid to actually attempt for the past decade almost. NaNoRenO and some peer pressure is a good excuse to force myself to work on something fun and productive, and hopefully enjoyable to others. Might get me confident enough to keep going and work on another one.

Nyankar
Projects: Primer Fantasia
Organization: TTTiGR3 Estudios AR

#65 Post by Nyankar »

Because i can... that's all. Simple.

King-sama
Veteran
Deviantart: Treepastry

#66 Post by King-sama »

Practice, also I wanted a company that will motivate me to draw with

Desichan
Regular
IRC Nick: Desichan
Tumblr: Desichan

#67 Post by Desichan »

My reason really stems from my love for the genre as a whole. I have some talents, and I don't want to use it on a media form that I'm not passionate about. I've also, always loved thinking up stories, and creating characters, and part of me really just wants to make worlds that other people can be inspired by.

When I play visual novels, it makes me wonder if perhaps I could make something that could bring the same joy to others, as they have for me. A world that maybe others could lose themselves in, if only for awhile.

That's my answer, in a nutshell.

bluepuzzlebox

#68 Post by bluepuzzlebox »

Well, right now for practice, practice, practice!
Creating my own fictional world has always been super appealing to me, and I think VNs are a great way to incorporate both art and writing.

Eirrir
Regular
Projects: Operation: Future Domination
Tumblr: Eirrir
itch: eirrir

#69 Post by Eirrir »

I'm making my current visual novel because I had an idea for a story stuck in my head. It just clung to me for the longest time that I didn't know what else to do with the idea except to make it actually take shape. I plan to have my VN feature all of my favorite things about otome games and visual novels, in general. In other words, I'm trying to create my own "ideal VN." I'm pretty sure it won't reach that ideal, but still, that's what I'm aiming for! (ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง
In addition, I have too often seen otome games fall into the same boring tropes, so I wanted to make my game in order to potentially inject some freshness into the genre. The only concern is that I hope many other people enjoy my ideas, too!
Current VN Project:
Game Development Blog

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular
Projects: mirroreD≒dREAMS ~Alternate~, NOTES
Tumblr: magicalstarrycarnival
Deviantart: silky-starry-heart
itch: MonochromeCherry

#70 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

Well, the short answer is simply: Because I have fun writing/drawing my own stories and want people to (hopefully) enjoy them too! :D

Aside from that however, I've been a huge otome game fan since I can remember, so I've always wanted to try my hand at making my own! I'm not really satisfied with the current otome games that are available since I am extremely picky when it comes to choosing ones that I play. So I'll admit that despite loving these games, I can probably count the ones I've played on one hand. :lol: Don't get me wrong, a lot of these games have the loveliest art and that alone is enough to make me look into them, but when it comes to the characters...well that's a different subject.

Like Eirrir said up above, so many otome games just have the same types of characters pretty much re-hashed over and over again, that it just gets kind of well, stale after a while. :(

I just thought that well, since I absolutely love designing male characters and really want to see certain types of them in these kinds of games, well, why not make one myself? The types of stories I love writing are well, pretty obscure in these games, for a lack of a better word :lol: (from what I've seen at least). So while I'm slightly worried that people may find these concepts strange or unusual, I at least hope to make something that's individual enough for people to enjoy!
Image Image

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#71 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

For the most part, I'm doing it because I've had a story and characters in my head for a long time and really wanted to see my ideas come to life. I also wanted to learn the basics of art, game design, Python, etc. So I decided to go ahead and try it.
Last edited by kistnerelizabeth on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kylemercury
Regular

#72 Post by kylemercury »

I'm making my Novel because I was inspired by the feelings of excitement the VN gave me when I was playing them.
Because of what I study I knew I had the skills to at least do half the work so I wanted to take a stab at making other people
feel the way I did when I played renpy games.

Karamelow
Veteran
Projects: Fujiwara BitterSweet
Organization: Magic Bench/Karamelow

#73 Post by Karamelow »

I'm making my vn because I love drawing cute, awkward -and sad- teenager boys (° v °)
And also because it's fun and I want to prove myself that I'm able to make something on my own and hope that people will enjoy the final product ^^ (on my own at least for the graphics/story/code, but also with a great musician and a cool proofreader! *Thank you guys!*)

Neeka
Veteran
Completed: Hearts & Hexes; Winter Flower
Projects: Hearts and Hexes; Our Mountain; The Last Clan: Tale of Oni
Organization: Ostrich Burger Productions
IRC Nick: Neeka
itch: neeka-of-obp

#74 Post by Neeka »

I am making my current visual novel for several reasons. I had the idea stuck in my head for awhile but lack of art really stumped it. After getting the sprites from Mikomi I realized I really had to go through with this. Collaborating with others made it seem more real and attainable. I've always been writing but only learned about VNs a few years ago. I think the first one I ever played was True Remembrance. The joy of seeing my stories come to life meant a lot (it still feels amazing) and inspired me to do more. Alice in Neverland is a short simple VN. It's my first one so I didn't want to try making one of my heavier stories only for it to die halfway through. Also, getting feedback on my visual novel would be amazing-finding others that love my work (writing) would be a major confidence booster. ^^

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#75 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

I'm working on my visual novel because I want more stories that would have meant a lot to me when I was younger: namely, games about gay men going on adventures that have more to do than sex. There's still a dearth of queer content that's not based around the same stories of first love, sex, or coming out. Basically, I'm writing the stories I needed when I was younger and still figuring myself out.
Live Life Heroically