Why are you making your current visual novel?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Sonomi
Veteran
Projects: Lethargy of Snow
itch: sonomi

Why are you making your current visual novel?

#1 Post by Sonomi »

I was just thinking about something early this morning. It was 3AM and I skipped sleeping again. So I decided to work on my visual novel. I realized that my own purpose is a little vague, so I want to ask. What are your reasons for making your most recent visual novel? Share your inspiration with us.

If this is off-topic or in the wrong section, I do apologize.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#2 Post by Mammon »

A hundred ideas for stories, and I finally got one that could actually work. No massive lack of scenes between the plot points that I did come up with. That along with my boredom and the copious amount to free time I had inspired me to make P&Y.

The ones I'm currently working on? Branching out and boredom.
Last edited by Mammon on Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

NialGrenville
Regular
Projects: PaS: The Awakening; The Heart Woods; The Witch and the Fairy
Organization: Gabe Works, Inc.

#3 Post by NialGrenville »

Lots of sleepless nights. The burning desire for a person in my life. The condition of human compassion. The list goes on, but I'll say that much.
*Me*, *You, ***Calamazoo: *Singularity-A.I.*: *Proceed to processing
PaS: The Awakening, current status: 42%
The HeartWoods, current status: 0%
The Wonderful Mell! My PFI creator Honest Critique

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#4 Post by Fuseblower »

The most recent VN? I guess that has to be Tenkeiteki Tokyo since I see "The Doomed Diner" as a little side project (though the animations I'm working on are making it quite big in terms of development time).

For "Tokyo" my inspiration is my fascination with the Japanese culture. It's really interesting. It's also the perfect vessel for my sense of humor which I can deal out without any feeling of guilt because those... THOSE... <insert lots of derogatory terms> TOOK OUR COLONY AND SUNK OUR FLEET!!!!11!!!

...and after centuries of being the only Western Country that was friends with Japan until Commodore Perry showed up...

Then again : if they hadn't done that (and the whole independence stuff that followed) then my mum, along with hundreds of thousands of "Indo's", wouldn't have been kicked out of Indonesia and she would never have met my dad.

So, on the one hand I shake my fist at Japan for what they did to us, on the other hand I owe my very existence to them.

My feelings about Japan are .... interesting :lol:

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

My reason for making my current VN?

My current VN is 10-15 minute game that I've been working on off and on for a few years. Tenure got I the way and slowed me down, but I should be able to finish it up soon I hope.

Anyway, my reasons:
I have grander ideas, but I think it is important to do something small to get practice and get a sense of all the things that go into making a Ren'py game. Get a sense of workflow.

So this game allows me to learn the ren'py language.
This game allows me to learn what sort of things I need to make a game.
This game gives me practice so my next game will have better quality.
This game gives experience commissioning work.
This game gives practice with user defined displayables.

Inside the game, I am interested in disrupting a too easy identification between player and MC...I want the player to ponder what "winning" is. Is success sabotaging the main character? Is success aiding th main character in doing what they want to do? What if what they want isn't a good thing?

I'm also interested in a few particular habits of some players of VNs and messing with those habits.

I'm excited by the game. I now have all the art. So I have to catalogue emotions and then finished all the Sprite programming. Once that is done? I get to go back to my composing and sound design roots for the game.

So? TL;DR: Practice. To explore the player/MC relationship.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#6 Post by Morhighan »

VNs are the only thing I know how to do, or at least that's how it feels. I do it because it's comfortable. :)

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#7 Post by Lesleigh63 »

If I play a VN that I really enjoyed, then I want to make one. Same thing happens if I come across a WIP that looks incredible.

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#8 Post by fleet »

Someone asked me to make aother fantasy VN.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

chickandnugget
Regular
Projects: circuit/break
Tumblr: chickandnugget
itch: Edelblu

#9 Post by chickandnugget »

I started writing the script for my current game like three years ago as a means of stress relief. It was sort of a ridiculous thing just to keep myself writing when I was stuck on my novel.

Then one day I realized that I had the entire thing outlined and writing it has been more fun/easy than a lot of my other projects. It'd be sort of a waste not to make it at this point.

I do have much bigger ideas for future VN's, but I figured that completing something shorter first would be smart. It would also just be physical proof that I can finish something.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#10 Post by Hijiri »

Original reason: VN's get more attention than straight up writing. My first attempts at releasing my stories were....terrible to say the least.
Current reason: I want to inspire someone to take what I've made and possibly expand on what I've done. With my world and its rules clearly defined, I hope someone one day decides to take the world I made and expand on it.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#11 Post by Mammon »

Current reason: I want to inspire someone to take what I've made and possibly expand on what I've done. With my world and its rules clearly defined, I hope someone one day decides to take the world I made and expand on it.
I checked the OP posts of your projects, there is no mention of it being 'Intellectual open source', plenty of people won't feel comfortable making a spin-off or fanfic of your work if they don't you'll condone or even support it. While seeing that it is might motivate some people to keep possible fanfiction in mind as they play your game.
...and after centuries of being the only Western Country that was friends with Japan until Commodore Perry showed up...
So are you indonesian, Dutch or a combination then? Because unless you're talking about the Japanese concentration camps during WWII I need to brush up my history....
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Valhalla
Regular

#12 Post by Valhalla »

Is just saying I find it fun too simple of an answer? Haha

I guess I've always really liked the idea of creating something that gains a fandom, no matter how big or small. But really it is just because I enjoy making VNs, especially since I will try my hand at everything, sooo VARIETY.
Image Image Image

Hojita
Regular
Projects: sidérea
Tumblr: hojitasdelimon
Deviantart: limolimonera

#13 Post by Hojita »

The reason I'm (slowly) working in my current project, is, basically, because I resally like stars and space (?). And it's a idea I have been thiniking about for some months and turnet to be something pretty interesting to work on, thing that usually doesn't happen with anything I write (?)

For the other hand, experience, meet people, a attempt of getting inside de VnDev group, and so.

Catlip Candy
Regular
Completed: Raven // Encanto
Projects: My Twisted Love Story (title susceptible to change)
Organization: Catlip Candy
Tumblr: catlipcandy
Deviantart: CatlipCandy
Soundcloud: Catlip Candy
itch: catlipcandy

#14 Post by Catlip Candy »

I'm making my current visual novel because I already made my very first VN before, and realizing that stopping there is not really satisfying, so I gotta create and create and create more (*^*)/

And of course, to hone my skills even more! Creating Visual Novels needs a lot of sprites and CGs, and this will test my ability to draw the same style consistently. I also want to try voice acting, and I believe starting with voicing your characters in your VN is one of the best steps to be exposed (cos no one would take me as their voice actor ohohoho), and also, probably to know more about coding because I might take some course that has to do with programming in the future.

And top reason of all, because it's something we love to do :)
All I ask from the readers is to give feedback on what they think I should improve more.
Even the harshest comments are welcomed and greatly appreciated, as long as it is your truthful opinion!
Please help me become a better visual novel creator!

~~~~~~ Catlip Candy ~~~~~~~

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#15 Post by Fuseblower »

So are you indonesian, Dutch or a combination then? Because unless you're talking about the Japanese concentration camps during WWII I need to brush up my history....
The "Indos" are Dutch-Indonesian, they're the children of Dutch men who married Indonesian women back when Indonesia was a Dutch colony. When Indonesia became independent, these Indos where thrown out of Indonesia (being loyal to the Netherlands and not to Indonesia) and mostly went to the Netherlands. Apart from the Turkish group, the Indos are the biggest ethnic group in the Netherlands but since the Indos are culturally Dutch, hardly anyone notices and a lot don't even look Indonesian, just to name one : Geert Wilders :lol:

So, if you ask me whether I'm Indonesian or Dutch then I say "Dutch", it's just that my face doesn't look the deal 8)

For the history between the Netherlands and Japan in a nutshell : Western countries swept into the Far East, taking colonies left and right. Japan resisted being colonized but allowed trade, especially with the Portugese who sold them rifles (the period of Oda Nobunaga, from Civilization V fame). Within a year, the Japanese could make rifles themselves and they created a powerful army. But the Portugese also spread Christianity in Japan. One of the results was the Shimabara rebellion. The Dutch sided with Japan and turned their guns against the rebels. Japan realized these Western foreigners were more trouble than they're worth and secluded their country : Sakoku. But the Dutch were allowed as only Western nation to trade with Japan for over 2 centuries.

In this period of national seclusion, the Japanese learned about the great advances in Western science through the Dutch traders. This is called "Rangaku". It means "Western Studies" but literally it means "Dutch Studies". Thanks to the Dutch, the Japanese kept up to speed with the West and the Dutch were instrumental in creating the Japanese fleet. A fleet that would soon turn its guns to the very nation that helped create them.

The period of national seclusion ended when American commodore Perry forced the Japanese to open their country for trade.

So, what has Indonesia got to do with all of this? Indonesia was a Dutch colony. In the 1930s the Japanese were at war with China and they've already taken Korea (this has strained relationships up till this very day). China was an ally of the Americans. Japan was the most powerful nation of the Far East but they needed oil for their war machine. This oil came from America, Japan didn't have any oil itself. The atrocities committed by the Japanese against China like the Nanking Massacre and even against Americans in China like the attack on the USS Panay were such that America (and its allies) finally stopped providing the Japanese with oil.

The Japanese either had to quit their expansionist dream of "the Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" or get their oil elsewhere.

Of course, Indonesia had a tremendous amount of oil and refineries. But America would never allow the Japanese to take Indonesia. Enter the attack on Pearl Harbor. With the American fleet severly crippled, the Japanese had free reign in the area. Although a hastily formed alliance of American, British, Dutch and Australian forces was created to keep the Japanese out, one nation after the other quickly fell under Japanese rule. As we all know, in the end the Japanese lost to the industrial might and military cunning of the Americans. Having the Russians sweep into Manchuria with a vast army of millions at the time the atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki didn't help the Japanese either (the Russians had just finished off Germany and their troops were now ready to deal with Japan)

Japan saw the war wasn't going their way and promised Indonesia independence. This seemed like a pretty good idea to people like Sukarno and when the Japanese were defeated, Indonesia declared independence. This didn't sit very well with the Dutch (all that oil! and gold too!) so they send their army (with the help of the British) and the revolution was on. Though the Dutch were succesful in their objectives, the Americans were quite fed up with these colonial habits and they threatened to stop the Marshall help if the Dutch didn't acknowledge the independence of Indonesia. Of course, the ones who were loyal to the Dutch were thrown out of the country and that's how hundreds of thousands of Indos came to the Netherlands, amongst them my mum.

So, there you have it in a nutshell :D