Why are you making your current visual novel?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
chlorofinite
Regular
Projects: Cicada
Organization: Sweet Rose Tea

Re: Why are you making your current visual novel?

#31 Post by chlorofinite »

Because I like my OCs.

Also because I somehow fell in love with bishoujo games at around 11 years old or so (a totally appropriate age), and have maintained this as an interest since then.

So I guess I like seeing my characters come to life in a format I've obsessed over. Though I'm not particularly good at writing. At all.
(insert after-post anxiety here)

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#32 Post by Katy133 »

I make visual novels because I have an idea for a story that I feel compelled to share. I feel like if I don't "write it out of my system," the idea will keep bugging me until I do.
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#33 Post by Zelan »

chlorofinite wrote:Because I like my OCs.
I like this way of phrasing it.

DeeCee

#34 Post by DeeCee »

I'm starting my current project because I work on PC games normally and wanted to get into adult themed VN that I play in my free time.
I'm a scripter if anyone want to collab

thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

#35 Post by thebackup »

This as well, though, it's more like "love." It's just so satisfying creating OCs and giving them a world to interact in. And with the current set of characters I'm using now, I've been refining them for a very, very long time, using them in various projects along the way. It's amazing to see how much they've grown throughout the years, and seeing what they've become of now.

In a more general sense, anime. Being exposed to anime-styled VNs so much I wanted to create my own. It's kind of like creating your own anime series. Heck, I can say the VN I'm working on now (and the one before that) drew influences from... a certain anime series. :)

hikarinakano
Regular

#36 Post by hikarinakano »

Because I want to.
I can't really come up with anything better.
I feel like writing a few hundred thousand words, I feel like composing a few dozen tracks, and I feel like drawing a ton of character expressions and backgrounds.
I don't have any other reason, actually.
I tried to make one up, but I can't. There's no passion in it at all, but there's a ridiculous amount of drive, which is what's propelling the project forwards.

nekobara
Regular

#37 Post by nekobara »

hikarinakano wrote:There's no passion in it at all, but there's a ridiculous amount of drive, which is what's propelling the project forwards.
No passion?! Your drive must be fantastic and quite powerful indeed. I'm not sure whether to pity or envy you. You see, I admire those with such determination. But if there is truly no fruit of passion blooming in your breast as you fulfill your project, then I feel that it must be rather sad. Do you never feel as if you are missing something? Or is your desire to finish enough to make you forget the emptiness?
*meow*

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#38 Post by Imperf3kt »

I'm not able to say the same.
Plenty of passion, a little bit of drive, but motivation stores are bankrupt.

Why am I making my current VN? Because I spent four years writing it for fun, with the original intent of making a 3D animation, and found that it worked better as a visual novel. Or maybe more of a kinetic novel, since right now there's only one path.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#39 Post by Mammon »

I'll be the fourth one to give this argument. Knowing my next projects-to-be, my OC's will only be getting more extreme assholes from here on out. :twisted:

(Yes I know I already had my turn)
hikarinakano wrote:Because I want to.
I can't really come up with anything better.
I feel like writing a few hundred thousand words, and I feel like drawing a ton of character expressions and backgrounds.
I don't have any other reason, actually.
I tried to make one up, but I can't. There's no passion in it at all, but there's a ridiculous amount of drive, which is what's propelling the project forwards.
Although this one feels familiar too, it's what I meant when I said 'boredom'. I had the motivation of completing it and the motivation to improve it to the best I could make. Not in it for the money, although I do like to hear that people read my work.
'My motivation is to finish my VN. Not to make it popular, not to make it mindblowing. Just to make it and finish it.' Would that be a good way to phrase your motivation Hikarinakano?
Last edited by Mammon on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

hikarinakano
Regular

#40 Post by hikarinakano »

Just Hikari is fine :| I didn't think that through.

Anyways, sort of.
I'm only invested in the project because I want it to be absurdly good.
That said, I still do it out of boredom.
It's like what you said, with the difference that if it's something I make, it better be more than decent.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#41 Post by Mammon »

hikarinakano wrote:It's like what you said, with the difference that if it's something I make, it better be more than decent.
You say that as if I wasn't my own harshest critic. :lol: I too wanted it to be absurdly good, and kept pushing myself to make it as good as I could and then even better. Once it was published however I stopped phrasing it as such because it would suggest that P&Y is either good or my A game is decent at best. And I'm too...selfloathing let's go with humble, I'm too humble to claim my own work to be any good.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#42 Post by Scribbles »

Because I'm a writer, and love the idea of visual, choose-your-own-path novels!

I suck at coding, and don't like my art enough to use it so I've been paying to commission other artists, aaaaand... I still really like it. Even when I spend all day angrily pacing and trying several different ways of writing like 3 lines of code and it keeps failing because I suck, I still like it. I'm hoping I keep improving and eventually be able do this regularly while making enough to pay the asset creators I have to hire lol
Image - Image -Image

hikarinakano
Regular

#43 Post by hikarinakano »

nekobara wrote:No passion?! Your drive must be fantastic and quite powerful indeed. I'm not sure whether to pity or envy you. You see, I admire those with such determination. But if there is truly no fruit of passion blooming in your breast as you fulfill your project, then I feel that it must be rather sad. Do you never feel as if you are missing something? Or is your desire to finish enough to make you forget the emptiness?
And then suddenly, a post that I didn't see.
nekobara wrote:But if there is truly no fruit of passion blooming in your breast as you fulfill your project, then I feel that it must be rather sad.
Not really. When I'm working on it, it feels more like I'm actually working instead of sitting at school, which is a thrill in its own right.
Though...
nekobara wrote:Or is your desire to finish enough to make you forget the emptiness?
I suppose this isn't untrue.
I work (and overwork) for the sake of working, but the thought of finishing also drives me significantly. I guess I felt like I needed something to want, so I decided to want to finish this project. I mean, aside from this, I have no goals besides "being successful". When you don't have any short-term goals, you end up with a lot of free time to fill. If that makes sense.

HypnoChanger
Projects: Adventure High
Deviantart: HypnoChanger

#44 Post by HypnoChanger »

Non-Serious answer: Because Fable was a disappointment.

Serious answer: Because I wanted to make a game where player choice can have a tangible impact on the majority of the story, rather than just cosmetically changing a few unimportant details while having largely the same story with one or two different endings.

jeshii
Regular

#45 Post by jeshii »

HypnoChanger wrote:Non-Serious answer: Because Fable was a disappointment.

Serious answer: Because I wanted to make a game where player choice can have a tangible impact on the majority of the story, rather than just cosmetically changing a few unimportant details while having largely the same story with one or two different endings.
lol fable.. had so much potential, but what a let down..!