Desperate Answer Needed-Is it safe to travel to Italy?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

Desperate Answer Needed-Is it safe to travel to Italy?

#1 Post by infel »

Hi everyone, I know this may sound a little odd, but I honestly don't have anywhere else to turn too....I'm looking for some advice from people on whether or not it's safe to travel to Venice and Florence in Italy. My family will be going very soon, but I myself haven't made a decision.

You see I am someone who suffers from severely from being anxious and even slightly paranoid, which is not healthy for me when it comes to traveling. If I go on this trip I have to take four planes, two there and two back and each time we have to stop off in London which I'm also not sure about. I'm nervous about three things; taking a plane, being in London, and being in Italy. I know my fears have some value to them given how crappy this year has been, but my family wants me to go. I'd really like some advice from users on here. It would be even better if you lived in Italy and or London or have visited there, but any advice or opinions. I need to give my mom an answer by tomorrow night

Sorry if this is out of nowhere. I've tried talking to my family but my mom doesn't really get it or care and my sister is to busy to care. I honestly feel a bit alienated but that's an entirely different story. Please, I need help.
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Desperate Answer Needed-Is it safe to travel to Italy?

#2 Post by indoneko »

I've never been in England or italy, but I don't see any reason why you should avoid visiting those countries (at least most current travel advices says so). ISIS isn't targeting Italy (for now), and I haven't heard any riot or political turmoil in Italy lately. Besides, everybody eventually dies anyway.... whether you choose to stay at home or taking a trip on a plane, when your time has come then nothing in this world can prevent it (and it can happen in ways that you never suspected).

I'd say just take the trip and enjoy your time with your family... unless you have something more important to do than enjoying your precious time with your family. Even IF something went wrong, at least you're taking it together with your loved ones. Just stay alert to the pickpockets when you visit rome (or other crowded places), and get ready to wet your feet when venice is in high water period.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/italy
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

Statistically speaking it should be as safe as anywhere else. You shouldn't let terror attacks affect your enjoyment of different places, that's exactly what they want.

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

#4 Post by Divona »

It is safe to travel to Italy. Just words of advice, do keep your belonging close to you while in Italy. Pick pocket is rather common there. If you have backpack or bags, always keep them in front of you. Venice and Florence are beautiful, they are my favorite cities when I was in Italy, I hope you enjoy it there.
Completed:

Selidor
Regular
Tumblr: gateofselidor

#5 Post by Selidor »

I live in the UK (and recently moved out of London for work), and I've visited Italy, including Venice, four times. Both are safe places to be. As mentioned above, you should be careful of pickpockets in Italy (especially around tourist-heavy areas), and obviously behave sensibly as you would when visiting any unfamiliar place. Is there anything specific you're concerned about?

MomoiroGirl
Veteran
Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least

#6 Post by MomoiroGirl »

I haven't been to Venice or Florence, but I've been to Rome and London and had no issues. You do have to be careful of pickpockets though, but no more than in any other major city. They're both places I miss dearly and want to revisit. If you're a girl you might experience a bit more catcalling than you're used to in Italy, or at least Rome (mostly if you're blonde, as I was), but I never felt threatened by it, more like them yelling compliments at you, rather than disrespecting you.

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#7 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Been to Florence once and Venice about 3 times. I never felt unsafe but I didn't do anything to put myself in danger either. Venice is my favourite country to visit.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#8 Post by Caveat Lector »

The best way you can get answers, is to ask people who have actually lived in Italy for years. They'll be more intimately familiar with their own country, what goes on there, what the political climate is like, crime rates, specific ones, etc. I myself do not live in Italy, nor have I ever been there, so I cannot give an accurate answer as to whether or not it is safe to go.

I'm sorry to hear your family's not more supportive or understanding of your anxiety. I don't know what answer you've given by now, but I hope that even if you do go, that you'll have at least someone to talk to if it gets overwhelming.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Antizaba

#9 Post by Antizaba »

Italy is safe. I've been to Venice just about a month or two ago. I've felt completely safe the whole time, nothing bad happened, i haven't even met pickpockets in big crowds. Locals were very friendly. Really, there is nothing to worry about :)

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#10 Post by fleet »

Many large cities have areas that are unsafe. Contact your nation's embassy in Italy and ask specific questions about areas that are unsafe for tourists.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#11 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

Italy is currently very safe. we differ with other country in the approach on terrorism, and aside the recently-dispatched terrorist, we have zero major terror incident.

on general political criminality, In Italy riots never escalates out a general melee between police and riotes fought with clubs and handles, but an American should be careful, because rioters are generally from the extreme left.

on the common criminality, remember that in Italy, and generally in Europe, the safety layout is reversed re. United States: the Inner cities are the most safe zones, and on top of it are where the cultural heritage is concentrated. Florence, Venice and Rome are a case of this; is in the periphery where dangerous people lives and commit crimes.

on pickpocketing, a tip: if you're pickpocketed or snatched, YELL "Al Ladro !" ("Thief !") Italians have a really dim view of thieves, and very often will start an impromptu posse.

more important, keep always in mind that Italians tend to forgot the rules of the road, and often don't care about street signalling and checking speed; and abuse happily of honking: so be very careful in crossing roads.

last thing: never ever argument with Italians. "agree to disagree" is alien to our culture, and debating often is hour-long and heated. Especially, avoid debating politics and sports, arguments which Italian can easily discuss for hours.

Best regards from Italy,
dott. Piergiorgio.

Banya
Regular
Completed: Deep Inside, KOI, ROAR, Dreamquartz, YOLO
Projects: Emerald Wasp
Deviantart: Banya-Laplace-Studio
itch: banya

#12 Post by Banya »

I'm Italian too and I happened to see this thread by chance.
I don't know if I'm late but, as Piergiorgio said, go ahead and don't worry: Italy's a great place to visit, especially if you go south 8)
I know there's a lot of shameful advertise, such as "don't go to Naples because it's all like Gomorrah", but I live exactly there and I can tell you it's not scary at all. As for the terrorists' attacks they always threathen Rome but fortunately they didn't succeed.

If I can suggest a good period to visit, come in summer!
I'm looking for some advice from people on whether or not it's safe to travel to Venice and Florence in Italy.
Venice and Florence are among the most safe cities in Italy, so don't worry!
But for Venice be careful about the period you choose to visit it: I'd reccomend summer, because in winter there are massive floods into the city and it's difficult to visit. You know, it's built on water and water levels can get over your knees in winter ><
For the pickpocketers: they look for crowds, people with maps, shorts and expensive cameras. Just don't look like a "tourist" and be careful about the bags... otherwise, as Piergiorgio said, "AL LADRO!" is a good way to catch attention!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#13 Post by Imperf3kt »

A tip, from experience: Don't fret on the plane - it causes you to hyperventilate and if you're like me and suffer from vertigo, you're not going to be able to walk off the first plane. Last time I flew, I had to be given a wheelchair.

Relax yourself, take in the scenery and don't worry about "what-ifs".
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

#14 Post by JBShields »

I don't know about London, but where you'd like to go in Northern Italy is pretty safe. Like they said above, watch out for pickpockets. I'll add, don't walk through dark alleys at night.

And enjoy the people and the food! Italians (especially in the south) are louder by nature when they speak. It's their passionate culture. Enjoy it! Most will be friendly.

Hityashan

#15 Post by Hityashan »

So far, the only thing you have to worry in Italy or any other country, are pickpocketers. I've been to Italy twice and I didn't come to any problem at all. But it would be nice to be at least vigilant/careful to your self and your belongings.