Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 677
- Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:21 pm
- Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
- Projects: The Butler Detective
- Tumblr: katy-133
- Deviantart: Katy133
- Soundcloud: Katy133
- itch: katy133
- Location: Canada
To avoid confusion, I've listed some of the elements that I identify as making a game a "detective" game:
- Look for clues.
- Use clues as evidence.
- Question suspects.
- Figuring out if a person is lying.
- Choose which suspect is guilty.
- Reconstructing the crime scene (figuring out exactly what happened).
- Forensics (Player has to take photos of the crime scene, dust for fingerprints, and look for inconsistences in photos).
- How skilled you were at solving the crime/mystery impacts the game's ending. You can "make mistakes," and/or an objective can be accomplished in multiple ways.
A detective game can have some or all of the above game mechanics.
I'm NOT looking for games where you just happen to be playing a detective, or adventure games that ONLY include inventory puzzles, hidden object puzzles, and/or puzzlebox puzzles. The Nancy Drew game series being an example of this--although you can mentally guess who the guilty suspect is as you play, you cannot "chose" who you think is guilty in such a way that it impacts the game: You are simply guided from puzzle to puzzle until you complete the game's storyline.
Games I know that use the detective game elements I'm looking for:
- LA Noire
- Ace Attorney
- Sherlock Holmes Crimes and Punishments
- The Wolf Among Us
- Agatha's Christie's ABC Murders
- Still Life
- The TKKG Series
I'm looking for more examples. Anyone know of ones I've missed?
- Lemma-Class Veteran
- Posts: 3612
- Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:33 pm
- Projects: A Close Shave
- Location: Medford, MA
Also, Still Life has a sequel: Still Life 2.
You could try out Quantic Dream's Indigo Prophesy. I haven't played their Heavy Rain, but you could try that out as well.
I'm thinking you'll want to be looking in the Adventure genre for most of what you want.
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?) http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978
- Lemma-Class Veteran
- Posts: 2147
- Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
- Completed: The Dark
- Tumblr: evns
- itch: Zelan
- Posts: 72
- Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:42 pm
- Tumblr: gateofselidor
- Location: Sussex, UK
- Posts: 373
- Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:26 pm
- Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
- Projects: Brooklyn Idol
- Organization: KONOL Games
- Miko-Class Veteran
- Posts: 531
- Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 pm
- Completed: a2 ~a due~
- Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
- Organization: Variable X, Navigame
- Tumblr: navigame-media
- itch: navigame
- Jackkel Dragon
- Posts: 151
- Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 pm
- Projects: CPD2 series, EA, BN
- Organization: Team Despair, Nightshade
- Location: USA
Includes information about and links to many of my current and past projects.
- Eldritch Academy: A Romance/Paranormal Thriller Visual Novel about a Japanese boarding school's dark secret. (itch.io|Steam) [Nightshade]
- Eldritch University: A Horror/Romance Visual Novel; the follow-up to Eldritch Academy. (itch.io|Steam) [Nightshade]
- Blooming Nightshade: A lighthearted Romance Visual Novel set at the school from Eldritch Academy. (itch.io|Steam) [Nightshade]
- Flowering Nightshade: A lighthearted Romance Visual Novel and the follow-up to Blooming Nightshade. (itch.io) [Nightshade]
- Novels and short stories. (Shireishi, Those That Linger: GhostSense, and more) (Amazon Kindle) [Nightshade]
- Corpse Party D2: A series of RPG Maker and Ren'Py fangames based on CORPSE-PARTY's D-2 ending. [Team Despair]
- Eileen-Class Veteran
- Posts: 1433
- Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:45 pm
- Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
- Projects: Fear&Love, unknown
- Organization: Pilgrim Creations
- Github: xavi-mat
- itch: xavimat
- Location: Italy
- Posts: 241
- Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:39 pm
- Deviantart: MomoiroGirl
- Location: Somewheeere over the rainbow~ ... Well, Denmark at least
Users browsing this forum: No registered users