are there games similar to Hierophania and Hierophania 2?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
andalusian
Regular

are there games similar to Hierophania and Hierophania 2?

#1 Post by andalusian »

hello.

i liked the games Hierophania and Hierophania 2, but none of the other games in this forum are similar at all.

are there any more free games similar to Hierophania and Hierophania 2?

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

Re: are there games similar to Hierophania and Hierophania 2

#2 Post by Laniessa »

What did you like? The writing or the setting? The visuals?

ludeshka, the creator of Hierofania, has a modern romantic comedy called Rhyme or Reason that I absolutely love.

A few recs, in terms of setting and atmosphere:
A Good Wick, which has gorgeous limited visuals and strong narration, coupled with a darker, fantasy setting.
Basiliska, which has a really pretty setting and strong dialogue! I love Carrogath dialogue. Which is what leads to my next rec, Green Eyed Monster!
If you liked the Basiliska visuals, you should give anything by Clua a try, which also has good storytelling.
Cupid is also really good.

Try out The Elevator by Cyanide-Tea, and if you like the game, you can give their other games a shot! They're quite prolific.

Try those out and if you specify which ones you liked more or less + specifics on what aspects you liked them, I can give you more recommendations. They should all be free.

andalusian
Regular

#3 Post by andalusian »

thank you for the recommendations!
Laniessa wrote:What did you like? The writing or the setting? The visuals?
all of them!

one of my favorite games is Pathologic

https://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/ ... of-the.jpg

http://media.moddb.com/images/downloads ... /moddb.jpg

i like anything that comes even remotely close to Pathologic. Hierofania and Hierofania 2 were only slightly similar, and vastly simpler/shorter of course, but even so I got at least a little bit of the same vibe.

gloomy. no explicit focus on chasing a romantic interest. complex in some way, with a big focus on mystery. not anime-like in tone. choices and consequences, although if it is VERY good i can do without.
Laniessa wrote:ludeshka, the creator of Hierofania, has a modern romantic comedy called Rhyme or Reason that I absolutely love.
not my thing, sadly.
Laniessa wrote: A Good Wick, which has gorgeous limited visuals and strong narration, coupled with a darker, fantasy setting.
Basiliska, which has a really pretty setting and strong dialogue! I love Carrogath dialogue. Which is what leads to my next rec, Green Eyed Monster!
If you liked the Basiliska visuals, you should give anything by Clua a try, which also has good storytelling.
Cupid is also really good.
i will look into these!
Laniessa wrote:Try out The Elevator by Cyanide-Tea, and if you like the game, you can give their other games a shot! They're quite prolific.
i have played it! it seemed like precisely my kind of game, but in the end it was not satisfying. many problems with story. and only very superficial choice and consequence.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#4 Post by ludeshka »

Heh, first of all, this thread is quite flattering to me.

But most importantly.

LET ME REC YOU!

Locked In! (No Romance! Mystery! Choices! Awesome Main Character! Not anime!) https://saguarofoo.itch.io/locked-in

The Censor! (No Romance! Dystopia! Choices! Not anime! Did I mention dystopia?) https://saguarofoo.itch.io/the-censor

The Dreaming! (Psychological Thriller! Choices! Romance is not a focus at all) viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5590&hilit=taleweaver

And hey, this one kind of had romance and kind of has anime, but it's the reason Hierofanía exists:

Winter Shard!
(DARK fantasy, and I mean super dark. My favourite main character ever! You can be an anti hero or you can straight up have people make human sacrifices in your name, this game is the best, play it, omg) viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2213

...Is Pathologic freeware, though? Cause now I'm curious. :)

andalusian
Regular

#5 Post by andalusian »

thanks a lot, for making the Hierofanias, and for the recommendations! all 4 were rather neat, finally finished playing them (except that i cannot reach the good ending of The Dreaming...).
My favourite main character ever! You can be an anti hero
ha, his image rather reminded me rather of
...Is Pathologic freeware, though? Cause now I'm curious. :)
no, it costs money. i still recommend it, just because of how unique it is.