writing group project

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Delany0714

writing group project

#1 Post by Delany0714 »

Hi all, I have not been on here in quite some time, and am unsure if this is going in the right section as I am only inquiring interest in creating a project, not offering set gigs. I have recently downloaded an app called "Choices" after Facebook would not stop INSISTING that I wanted to play it. If you are not familiar with this app or the creators, basically its a small library of choose your own games. Some of the stories are quite interesting, and I have really enjoyed obsessing over it the last few days. The app seems to make money by having you purchase diamonds to unlock special choices or scenes in the stories and keys to unlock a new chapter. They seem to update the ongoing stories weekly with a new chapter.

Ideally, my idea is to do something similar to this. I am an IT student and I am familiar with most programming languages, although let me be clear that I have in no way perfected any of them, but I am working on it. My degree program is actually concentrated on Cyber Security and I am only required to take the beginning classes for all of the languages, so any mastering I'm doing, it's with experience outside of class. I have also LOVED to write since I was a child and wanted to be a writer for as long as I can remember. I am really interested in creating this project to show my passion for writing and for helping others display theirs as well. There is not a preference on genre here. You write what you want, I put it together. You just want to write and don't want to approve art or help program? Wonderful. You want to do art? Wonderful. You want to help program? Wonderful. My best skill is organization.

Ultimately, I would like this to be a commercial project where everyone gets paid for what they contribute. "Choices" can get really expensive if you are buying the diamonds. I would like to create something to rival this and be affordable!!! :mrgreen:

Thoughts???

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: writing group project

#2 Post by Mammon »

Choices, huh? I know Hosted Games and Delight games, but I'll try that one out too if it's anything alike(checked it; it is! Downloading now.). The Delight games one is actually already a free one, actually it used to be according to a system of one chapter free and buy the others, but the maker then uploaded free versions of everything as well. And I remembered there being a big project on Newgrounds called StoryShift a few years ago trying something even more innovative but I dropped it after a while because of irregulary updates. I should pick it up again some time, I see that many of those stories have grown to be several hundreds of pages long by now.
Not meant as critique that your idea is already done, more as suggestions considering you're liking these sort of games.

I have no doubt you can find some people interesting in working with you on this if you're asking it in the right place at the right time, but maybe you could make even faster progress if you were to take a look in the already written stories? Even with a specific system to it, I bet you could find hundreds of stories that meet your criteria both in terms of writing skill and story format if you were to scourge fanfic sites or look through the projects on this forum. If you don't pick stories that are commercial or high-tier, the author will probably agree to letting you put their story in your program.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Delany0714

Re: writing group project

#3 Post by Delany0714 »

Thank you for your input. I will look into that!