Players Problem

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
koresuchan

Players Problem

#1 Post by koresuchan »

Hi, We currently making a game that will be presented in our school. So, it is documented; I'd like to ask a question regarding our study. What makes you play visual novel? and what do you want to achieve as you play and finished the game.
Thank you for your response guys, with your I'll try to make our game best as possible.

koresuchan

Re: Players Problem

#2 Post by koresuchan »

As for me, I have introvert behavior so I'll make a game to help me to improve my attitude towards other people.

Tyrantauranox
Regular

#3 Post by Tyrantauranox »

I think the medium features some strengths of video games, shows/movies, and novels.

Visual novels may feature interactivity, from occasional story choices to very complex gameplay.

They also support visuals (from stills to full animation), screen transitions, special effects, sound effects, and voice.

From novels, they take the potential for huge scope. In one case, a single visual novel got 49 episodes for an anime adaptation, and STILL had a major story cut out. They don't have to adhere to a 1-3 hour runtime, nor are they limited to a number of "pages" like a book.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

More story than a game or comic, more game elements and art than a book. As such, it sets itself apart from online fanfics when it has good art while being easier and more accessible than webcomics or games by not needing high-class art or new mechanic design that requires good programming skills. Although each of these skills can grow and be expanded upon from there.

So I'd say EVN's is easy to get into as a new developer, has a lot of room for you to grow through experience, and allows you to work with others in a team without strict professional selection based upon skills/criteria.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

morrie
Regular
Tumblr: morrie-games

#5 Post by morrie »

When I play a game I just want to feel that it's an interesting "fantasy" (not the genre, I mean the player immersing themselves in an imaginary world) that gives me something fun to enjoy.... and creatively expand upon in my own imagination.... I want to feel that the characters and the world/story are interesting and motivate me to explore the concept.

If a game is interesting, it inspires me to use my own creativity and it makes me feel stimulated and motivated. So it's "food for my brain" in a way..... I really like seeing creative expressions from other people. It's like getting to take part in what goes on in the game creators' brains.
*perpetual beginner who can't wrap my head around coding....*

mard
Regular

#6 Post by mard »

I would have to say that what draws me to Visual Novels is the story aspect.

Visual Novels are an interesting medium. They allow an authour to tell a story, in a way that standard prose can't. They aren't dependent on intense gameplay like other game mediums, instead focusing on the characters and their interactions, giving the player a chance to feel as if they are a part of the story, rather than just a person standing outside a window, looking in through the glass, by allowing them to make choices that can influence the outcome of the story.

As for what I expect from completing it, I'd have to say that I hope to have developed some kind of conclusion in my head as to what took place. This doesn't mean the authour has to lay out the answer before me, the ending can very much be open for interpretation, I simply expect for there to be enough clues laid out that I can develop that answer.

For what it's worth, I actually tend to prefer open-ended stories like that, where the reader is left to ponder what happened at the end, such that each reader could have their own view on it. This isn't an easy thing for a writer to pull off, but if they can pull it off, it will get the highest marks from me.

I do hope my reply helps you with your project.
Last edited by mard on Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tend to be a bit quiet, but will help where I can.

Enjoy the drinks folks.

Gooblersik

#7 Post by Gooblersik »

I want to ask what kind of software do you use to record gaming video? I do not any other freewares. Can you recommend me some?
Last edited by Gooblersik on Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

YonYonYon
Veteran
Projects: Nightflower(Frozen), Reach the Starlight(WIP)

#8 Post by YonYonYon »

@Gooblersik try OBS Studio
ImageImage