EvnTide is a News and Features site for Visual Novels!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
bluebirdplays
Regular
Projects: A Flamingo Tale, Eyas
Tumblr: bluebirdplays

EvnTide is a News and Features site for Visual Novels!

#1 Post by bluebirdplays »

Hey guys! Today is EvnTide's launch and I thought I'd finally write about it here after weeks of planning it out.

I created it...mostly for myself xD I don't know about others but I'm always lurking these forums, Steam, and my Twitter feed for new releases or Greenlight campaigns for visual novels but I still continue to miss out on a lot of titles I'd love to check out. I developed this website so I can receive stories from VNdevs about their projects, campaigns, and releases and hopefully help other players discover new games in need of some attention.

It's a small-time site but I hope that it'll be of use to both players and developers! My current posting schedule is Mon-Thurs starting at 9 AM EST. I'll normally aim to post 1-3 stories a day and will try and create a variety to read from as well, from greenlight campaigns to preview trailers and features.

If you're a developer who would like to send a story to me, check out these little guidelines first and submit your story/press release/news here.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: EvnTide is a News and Features site for Visual Novels!

#2 Post by Mammon »

Oh, well planned just before NaNoRenO. I'll might contact you once we've got a WiP and some newsworthy stuff.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

bluebirdplays
Regular

#3 Post by bluebirdplays »

Mammon wrote:Oh, well planned just before NaNoRenO. I'll might contact you once we've got a WiP and some newsworthy stuff.
Sure, just lemme know! I love checking out the NaNoReNo stuff and promoting it too!

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4 Post by Morhighan »

This is great! I'll be sure to submit something. :3

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#5 Post by parttimestorier »

Sounds like a cool idea, good luck!

If I subscribe to the newsletter, will it just be a list or summary of things that were posted that week, or will there be other information in it as well? Also, your guidelines page says that reviews found on other sites are okay but also that you only want things which are newsworthy - do you have any more specific ideas in mind about what kind of reviews would be newsworthy and what kind wouldn't be?
ImageImageImage

bluebirdplays
Regular

#6 Post by bluebirdplays »

parttimestorier wrote:Sounds like a cool idea, good luck!

If I subscribe to the newsletter, will it just be a list or summary of things that were posted that week, or will there be other information in it as well? Also, your guidelines page says that reviews found on other sites are okay but also that you only want things which are newsworthy - do you have any more specific ideas in mind about what kind of reviews would be newsworthy and what kind wouldn't be?
Hiya! Good questions!

Newsletter-wise, you'll receive a summary of the week's posts to start. Since I'm aiming to write at least 1-3 posts a day Mon-Thurs it helps to have a Weekly Digest of sorts for readers who'd like to check out my posts at their leisure.

I do expect to begin adding more nifty and fun things in the newsletter later on once I'm in the groove with the weekly goings-on. Future ideas have consisted of giveaways to newsletter subscribers, a 'classifieds' listing for VN-related services, etc! Still brainstorming these, and I think it'll depend on how the subscriber list grows over time!

As for Reviews
- I consider all reviews newsworthy, as long as they are visual novels and there's a fair amount of effort put into them. You know, reviews that consist of more than a couple sentences. Otherwise I'm pretty lenient with those and want to promote other review sites so that VN developers know who they can contact to cover their games.

I was actually sent an email asking if I'd host visual novel reviews on EvnTide as well - and the answer is a resounding YES. I'm the only one writing for EvnTide, so if anyone does want to write a review for the site every so often, I definitely welcome it, with full disclaimers and links and credit to the original author and their sites they'd like me to link.

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#7 Post by parttimestorier »

Cool, thanks for answering my questions! I think I will definitely subscribe to the newsletter, since your ideas for stuff to include when there are more subscribers sound really fun. :) And I've been trying my hand at writing reviews a bit lately (just on my own tumblr, not anywhere super professional), so maybe I'll submit the next one I do of an English VN!
ImageImageImage

bluebirdplays
Regular

#8 Post by bluebirdplays »

parttimestorier wrote:Cool, thanks for answering my questions! I think I will definitely subscribe to the newsletter, since your ideas for stuff to include when there are more subscribers sound really fun. :) And I've been trying my hand at writing reviews a bit lately (just on my own tumblr, not anywhere super professional), so maybe I'll submit the next one I do of an English VN!
Sure, feel free! I'd like to get the community involved, especially since I know I can only go through so many visual novels myself xD I know developers and players both benefit from reviews.

Heck, even if there's just a game you'd like to recommend for others to check out, write out why you feel that way and send it in! It doesn't have to be a full-fledged review, but simply talk about the game and why you recommend it. That's definitely what I'm doing with my Featured Game picks that I'll write every so often.

And thanks for subscribing ^_^ Wewt!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#9 Post by Imperf3kt »

Is that Wordpress?
What are you using for server storage at the moment?
I mean, where are the images hosted, they look to be local.

I'm just curious who your hosting service is, and what you're being charged for how much, I guess.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#10 Post by Kokoro Hane »

This site looks really cool! I love the simplicity of it all, with its white colorscape yet it doesn't look boring! It feels welcoming and inviting. And those bluebird drawing is soooo cute~ I read your review for Pastel Rain--this is a title I had been waiting to play and downloaded it, then afterward I saw your review. This makes me even more enticed to play it when I have time! You're really good at this and I think this is a great way to get people in the know about English visual novels! If I'm brave enough, I might even submit something of mine for news or review xD

Do you mind if I made a journal about your site on my deviantART journal? Since many of my watchers know I am a VN dev and I would love to get more people exposed to the world of OELVNs, I think this site is a great way to start and for people to remain in the know~
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

bluebirdplays
Regular

#11 Post by bluebirdplays »

Imperf3kt wrote:Is that Wordpress?
What are you using for server storage at the moment?
I mean, where are the images hosted, they look to be local.

I'm just curious who your hosting service is, and what you're being charged for how much, I guess.
Hi! Yes, I'm using Wordpress since I have some basic experience with it- at least enough to get a template together and some useful plugins!

My host is called MDDHosting. Won't link cause I don't wanna seem like I'm selling it to anybody, but it's never let me down and the basic plan is really affordable to folks who just want some basic hosting and enough storage for a beginning site. I just upload the images onto my host. My plan gives me 1GB of storage, which is more than enough to get a featured image and anything else I need long as I don't go super crazy with images.
Kokoro Hane wrote:This site looks really cool! I love the simplicity of it all, with its white colorscape yet it doesn't look boring! It feels welcoming and inviting. And those bluebird drawing is soooo cute~ I read your review for Pastel Rain--this is a title I had been waiting to play and downloaded it, then afterward I saw your review. This makes me even more enticed to play it when I have time! You're really good at this and I think this is a great way to get people in the know about English visual novels! If I'm brave enough, I might even submit something of mine for news or review xD

Do you mind if I made a journal about your site on my deviantART journal? Since many of my watchers know I am a VN dev and I would love to get more people exposed to the world of OELVNs, I think this site is a great way to start and for people to remain in the know~
Ha, thank you for the compliments! I went through so many different templates but decided on simple so people can focus on the posts what's going on.

Tweet tweet, thanks! Image

Haha I'm glad I could be convincing with my feature! I used to write full-fledged reviews on visual novels but I like just giving readers a hint of what to expect and let them discover the game on their own. I welcome any news or VN reviews though! ^_^

And certainly, I'd love the promotion! It's a new and budding site but the response this week has been really great. I'm glad people are enjoying the site and I'm always open to feedback and suggestions! This is a learning experience for me too, and I just wanna be able to keep on helping the VN community how I can.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#12 Post by Kokoro Hane »

^ Gehh you're trying to murder me with cuteness! Help meeee! hahaha xD

I hope your site continues to grow, I even signed up for the newsletter!
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#13 Post by Imperf3kt »

Being WordPress, you're probably set already, but if you'd like some help with html or css, feel free to send me a message. I'll help if I can. I have roughly 15 years self-taught experience with HTML and CSS.

Recently looked at Javascript, but thats pretty complex, at least, for me.

I'm pretty low on spare time though, so I can't promise much.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

bluebirdplays
Regular

#14 Post by bluebirdplays »

Imperf3kt wrote:Being WordPress, you're probably set already, but if you'd like some help with html or css, feel free to send me a message. I'll help if I can. I have roughly 15 years self-taught experience with HTML and CSS.

Recently looked at Javascript, but thats pretty complex, at least, for me.

I'm pretty low on spare time though, so I can't promise much.
Thanks kindly for the offer! I'll keep that in mind! I figured a pretty basic layout would get the job done but will probably look to make it easier to navigate in the future.

Right now, the EvnTide's going really well! I've got most of this week's posts covered or planned already, but if there's any visual novel news for next week I should know about, lemme know! :>

LizardRobot
Regular
Projects: A Town Called Shanty
Organization: Lizard Robot
Deviantart: lizrobot

#15 Post by LizardRobot »

Great site! I'm really enjoying reading what you've posted so far.