Why don't we have VN of the Year Awards?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

Why don't we have VN of the Year Awards?

#1 Post by JBShields »

This is a question topic just for fun. Why don't we have "player choice" awards for Visual Novels? Nobody else does.

If it's done, maybe by year and by category? What categories would be good?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Why don't we have VN of the Year Awards?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

If you want one, you should organize one.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#3 Post by Mammon »

I believe there was something like that in the earliest days of Renpy. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4740 Found this and there's probably more. But these days there's probably too many projects for them all to be judged.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Smaymay
Regular
Completed: Vicboys demo
Tumblr: esmmeh
Deviantart: Smaymay

#4 Post by Smaymay »

Sounds like a great idea :)

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#5 Post by Caveat Lector »

VNs Now has something similar to what you suggest, but has more multiple categories. I see no reason why we can't have something similar ourselves!
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

As Mammon pointed out, we DID have something similar, for many years. But then it died. Why? Lots of reasons. It being a LOT of work for the organizers. Not getting enough people participating in the nomination process. Lots of things. If you want to revive the Lemmy's it would behoove your to look through the thread Mammon posted and ponder how you would address the issues that led to the death of the old Lemmy's and also if you are ready to do all of the work and if you have a plan to make the process sustainable and how you'll avoid burnout.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

This is actually something that I've thought about before, believe it or not, but besides the sheer amount of work that would go into organizing it, there's also the question of how VNs will be entered, nominated, and rewarded, what the categories will be, etc. And you never know what kind of drama might go down as a result.

indoneko
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by indoneko »

A local forum (from where I came) have actually done this, and they even giving prizes (with using money from the forum's admin's own pocket!). And they're much smaller compared to Lemmasoft. :lol:

I guess that if we want to revive the annual awards, then someone has to actually take the lead here. Preferably someone who's been here long enough to know the forum's behavior...
My avatar is courtesy of Mellanthe

JBShields
Regular

#9 Post by JBShields »

trooper6 wrote:If you want one, you should organize one.
If there was one, wouldn't want to overstep.

JBShields
Regular

#10 Post by JBShields »

Mammon wrote:I believe there was something like that in the earliest days of Renpy. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4740 Found this and there's probably more. But these days there's probably too many projects for them all to be judged.
GLAD you found that! Yikes! The sheer drama of that thread. People started out excited, then got hurt. The idea of a "competition" doesn't appeal to all. I see it more as group recognition, but oh well.

If one was to be done:

The problem is the polls needed for this--not what would go there. It'd need a cloud-type anonymous poll for more than 100 users. That's the problem. 100 is the highest I can find without having to pay. Why cloud? It's either a cloud or list poll needed so the top 5-10 nominated choices could then later be voted on by the community.

Too bad! Based on that thread, I thought they were going well with the right ideas for categories:

all VN non-repry games welcome, no using "borrowed" art for nominees, skills instead of genres. No cash award. Just a laurel.

separate commercial/non-commercial categories, short vs. long vns, Categories by writing, [gameplay (such as gameplay and other coding elements], art (sprites; background separate), music, maybe voice-acting...

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#11 Post by Donmai »

indoneko wrote:And they're much smaller compared to Lemmasoft.
In my humble opinion, this kind of thing can only work right in smaller communities. It worked here for some time when Lemmasoft was smaller than it is today (I'm not saying we now have a colossal community). Potentially it can break a community apart instead of bring it together.
BTW you can "watch" the 2008 ceremony here: http://lemmasoft.net/lemmys/results2008_0.html
Last edited by Donmai on Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

#12 Post by Ghost #9 »

Instead of having nominations or listing every visual novel that was created during the year, individuals/groups could submit the game they wish to enter. That's how I've seen this sort of thing handled on other forums.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#13 Post by Mammon »

If you want to make an award show, maybe you could instead start smaller and make a NaNoRenO award show? With the NaNo submissions, unlike all the VN's that came out this year, there are people who'll play them all. You'll get experience with hosting one of these, have much less categories to worry about, getting people to help you, and you actually have a list of all games.

Only if you still want to do it, of course. From your reaction to my link it seemed that you might've decided against game awards entirely?
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

andalusian
Regular

#14 Post by andalusian »

the IF (interactive fiction*) community has a yearly contest called ifcomp, it has a fun system for prizes: rules, prizes for past years. might be worth copying.

but as others have said in this thread, ranking can damage the community. ifcomp is popular and gets more entries every year, but has certainly damaged the IF community.

there are 2 "wars" in the IF community:

people who align with games that embody the values of the american social justice movement
vs
people who see it as an unwelcome intrusion and vote against any games that even remotely look like it

people who align with games that has experimental narrative, but no puzzles or any real difficulty
vs
people who align with games that has a complex world model, complex puzzles and that demands skill and intelligence from the player, but has simple or traditional narrative

with ifcomp, people vote for the games according to their camp in these 2 issues, and it can get very heated, because the competition makes the camps directly compete against each other. so ifcomp certainly makes these "wars" worse and breaks the community.

* interactive fiction means games that look like this:
or this:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#15 Post by PyTom »

In general, I don't want to have an awards show with the name of the community on it.

I like the idea that LSF is welcoming to creators of all skill levels. I like the fact that we have people who make incredibly disparate games helping each other out - you can get someone making a kinky adult game helping out someone who's trying to make a game commenting on political discrimination. And I think that's because we focus on the things that unite us - sarcastically, the fact that VN development is hard - rather than trying to come up with who is the best.

I think there's a place in the community for awards. Some sort of "Academy of Visual Novel Arts" could be a great idea. But I don't think that any awards scheme would be representative of who's on the forum at this point - so I think it should really be an outside thing.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom