Share your recently-played VN that got you hooked up!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Share your recently-played VN that got you hooked up!

#1 Post by morinoir »

I know I'm dwelling in a visual novel lover community and even develop one currently, but honestly, I don't play a lot of visual novel due to lack of time. However, recently I found some visual novel or text based game that I like and I think they deserve more attention! If you found some too, please share them with the community!

1. As the title said, please share your recently-played VN/KN/other text-based game that got you hooked up!
2. Or you can also share your all time favorite visual novel ^^
3. Why do you like those game? Is it because of the art? the story? or maybe the character? Write your thought about those games so we'll know the good (and not so good) things about them!
4. If you can put the link to the game website (like their original tumblr blog, or their original lemmasoft post, or their itch.io page), that means you'll give easier access to people who want to play the game. It's not necessary, but much appreciated!

Feel free to post again and again whenever you found another new-favorite! Let's spread the love! <3

morinoir
Regular
itch: blackpepper

Re: Share your recently-played VN that got you hooked up!

#2 Post by morinoir »

Here are my recent favorites!

1. Conversation With a Song Bird by Louie Zong (everydaylouie)
A short but cute text game that you can play in your browser. One day a bird perched on your window (I believe it's a sparrow?) and the conversation you have with them can lead you to unexpected ending (the creator said it has 35 endings). Sometime cute doodles showing up between the dialogues and you'll get cute CG every time you get an ending. The game can be finished in like 5 minutes? so it's a perfect game to play when you need fun distraction before get back to work or study ^^
Untitled.png
2. Magium
A Choose Your Own Adventure text game for Android. I just finish this game yesterday and although the graphic is very lacking (the visual is just black text on white background), I must say that the story is very well written with lots of wonderful action scenes and high fantasy setting with magics and dragons. It's also combined with status-rising (not sure if it's the right term ^^;;) so you'll get different outcome depends on your how high your status. Book 1 ended on 11th chapter and to unlock book 2, you either buy it or complete 25 achievements. I'll definitely replay this game to unlock book 2. I just MUST know what will happen after those cliffhanger!
Last edited by morinoir on Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Share your recently-played VN that got you hooked up!

#3 Post by Mammon »

morinoir wrote:I don't play a lot of visual novel due to lack of time.
I know that issue. I planned to play all of the NaNoRenO admissions during the month April and then make a thread with 'best categories', but... Nope. I've got the 'bad' habit of having some spare time and wondering whether I should play VNs or work further on my own, and the latter almost always wins. But here's some interesting VNs that aren't among the top NaNoRenO's:

Resident evil 4 the Otome: Not sure why I have to list this one because it has been nr. 1 for quite a while on the list, but somehow it's in the bottom three now? I really liked the game, while the art is made from screenshots this didn't feel lazy. The GUI working with it and the sheer amount of them (don't say screenshotting your art is easy until you tried it) showed quite a bit of work and it only aided the writing. Which was (pro segway FTW :roll: ) humorous in a way I can't help but like. Resident Evil's 'serious' vibe has always lend itself well for parody and that showed itself here.

But then again, isn't a crate just a barrel in a rectangular shaped disguise?

Best wishes: I loved the worldbuilding of this game. The game is far from finished, which becomes quite apparent from the background art's rough edges, but this didn't bother me for a second. The expressions were good and the way many assets weren't finished were in a way that wasn't glaring. Rather, the crude brown shades only helped add to the viking vibe as I was introduced to the characters and lore that actually felt realistic and dynamic.

The subtweet game: If I would have gotten to those NaNoRenO awards, this game would've probably won the 'least expected' category. I started this game with a bad first impression and didn't expect anything good from it. It wasn't a ren'py game, the avatars at the very least could've been varied rather than being multiple colors of eggs and I didn't know what to do at first. 20 minutes later when I finished the game however, my opinion was the opposite. You get 2-4 comments and have to choose which one to like, deciding through such means which route to pick. And the characters to romance were simplistic but likeable, so this game is short but concentrated goodness.

As I said before, I haven't gotten around to playing all the NaNoRenO games by a long shot and didn't want to mention the top games here that already get the brunt of the attention, so if your game wasn't mentioned here don't read into it too much.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?