VNs with Second-Person Narration?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

VNs with Second-Person Narration?

#1 Post by Katy133 »

Has anyone come across any visual novels that use second person narration? (Wherein the narrator refers to the reader as "You.")

It's so common in "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, yet I don't think I've ever come across a visual novel that has done it. Any recommendations?
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

Re: VNs with Second-Person Narration?

#2 Post by parttimestorier »

I looked it up and there's a tag on VNDB for this (sorted by rating), although it's uncommon. Only 73 VNs are tagged with it, and interestingly the majority of them are English ones - maybe because some English VN writers are more influenced by choose-your-own-adventure books, which might not be as much of a thing in Japan, but that's just speculation. I've read a few on that list, such as A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread and To Be Or Not to Be, which use 2nd person pretty well for comedy I think. It might not work quite as well in more serious stories where they want to develop the protagonist more instead of making it the player, but there are definitely some exceptions to that.
ImageImageImage

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#3 Post by trooper6 »

My game is 2nd Person...though it isn't out yet. I'm hoping to finish it over the summer. I know I've played other VNs in second person. Note: I play almost exclusively OELVN's so I probably am more likely to come across them than people who mostly play OJLVNs.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

My main project (unannounced, possibly take me 2 - 3 years due to my life / other factors) is written in 2nd person. Well, its was originally a mixture of 1st and 3rd person in my draft, but when I started putting it into VN form, it just felt much better to be in 2nd person narrative.

I don't know of any other games that I've played that are in 2nd person though, at least, not fully.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

#5 Post by Donmai »

Katy133 wrote:It's so common in "Choose Your Own Adventure" books
It was also mandatory in ye olde adventure games of my prehistoric computing times. :)
You are in your sitting room. There's a TV in a corner underneath a large window. The mantelpiece above the fireplace is in need of repair.
You can go south, west and up.

You see an Enfield rifle.
You see Sarah Derry.
The telephone is ringing.

What now? >
Text above was taken from Twice Shy, a 1986 British 8-bit computer game (perfect for a 64Kb machine). TS was one of many adventure games which helped me to improve my English skills.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#6 Post by potouto »

Mhm, if I remember correctly, sonnet009's games have second person narrative.

Both Aloners and Wilder have really nice writing, I suggest you check them out if you'd like to check them out!

yeah well | commission | website

Kuiper
Regular
Completed: Cursed Lands, Trial by Fire
Projects: Necrobarista, Idol Manager
Organization: Route 59 Games
Tumblr: kuiperblog

#7 Post by Kuiper »

I'm not sure if you'd count them as visual novels (they're not really "visual"), but most (all?) of the Choice of Games interactive novels that I've seen on Steam use second-person narration.
Necrobarista - serve coffee to the living and the dead
Idol Manager - experience the glamour and dangers of the pop idol industry
Cursed Lands - a mix of high fantasy and gothic horror