What kind of music do you listen to?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
donom

What kind of music do you listen to?

#1 Post by donom »

I've never been much into music beyond what video games brought me, and remixes from OCRemix. So yeah, a few weeks ago I was trying to play Megaman Legends to the end for once (I never get too far in most games) and, messing around at the shops, I found this piece of music I really liked. It was classified ingame as "fusion"; I'd never heard of that genre, so off I went to wikipedia.

And damn, after pretty much only having listened to this one guy that was mentioned in the wiki article, I fell in love with it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE9yuNxb ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpNxl1-W ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPd7WThg ... re=related

What about you?

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Re: What kind of music do you listen to?

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

Good ones of course :P

Jk. I like anime/video game soundtracks and tohou tracks including remixes.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Adorya »

Sucked into the Touhou trend atm. It's kinda hard to go somewhere else once you know that it can cover any kind of music.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

Weirdly, I can listen to anything except music played on string instruments.

That rules out things with violins and prominent pianos (like all classical music), as well as anything played with guitars (like all of radio music :evil: ).

I can therefore listen to any brainwashing rave, trance, house, dance or techno. Also, black music and jazz are fine for me.

Relevantly, I don't like Japanese music (as in J-pop). I just can't get their "melodies", for some reason their arrangement of notes doesn't harmonize for me, the melodies feel very random, rather than having a smooth flow. It's the same with anime music, maybe with the exception of Yuki Kajiura's, but those songs I liked because they had a familiar (Western?) structure and melody to them. I don't know how to explain better, though. There is just something jarring in Japanese songs for me.

TMBpower
Regular

#5 Post by TMBpower »

My favorites are techno, anime music, and foreign language music in general.

I dunno, most foreign language music I've found are more soundtrack quality tracks. Here in the west, most pop music isn't more then different varieties of the same thing.:| The majority of foreign language stuff I've heard is Japanese, but I love euro music from Denmark, Germany, and Greece. It's all high-energy.^^
Volunteer CG artist, if your story interests me (which is very likely!).
PM me if you want me on your team!
Current Project: None

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#6 Post by azureXtwilight »

Jazz, I guess, and instrumental guitar.
I'm not too fond of techno, remix, or house music.

AlphaProspector
Regular
Completed: The Circular Gate
Projects: Yume no Sono, Hoshi Agari, The Circular Gate, Koenchu Yonogi Seiyu Story (こえんちゅ!)
Organization: Primum Soft
Soundcloud: Primum Soundblast

#7 Post by AlphaProspector »

Another Touhou victim here. I went through the hassle of importing ZUN's music CDs. Can't stop listening to them. Oh, and piano, orchestral and folk arranges of Touhou are priceless. Amazing.

I'm all for traditional heavy metal (Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Judas Priest, etc.) or power metal. Not a fan of the 'cookie monster' type of vocals... Also classical music, let it be Schumann, Liszt, Beethoven, Vaughan-Williams (The Lark Ascending is amazing) or Holst, Orff, Ravel, Bartok and more.

I also tend to listen to flute-driven folk music. Many are really pretty. Oh, and gregorian chant. I have like 5 discs of that... I always found the incredible power of many voices without instruments to be quite an awesome and bone-chilling effect.
Enjoy tranquillity. Paint reality with the colours of your imagination.

Primum Soft Website and Blog

HaveAtYePirates2

#8 Post by HaveAtYePirates2 »

Arg, I listen to sea shanties.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

#9 Post by Alessio »

Pretty much everything except (maybe surprisingly) J-Pop, anime soundtracks, movie soundtracks. Nor rap. Mostly I like progressive rock/pop (70/80ies), 80ies pop, rock, electronica, but also classical, opera, doom metal. Ah, and nowadays chlidren's music, too.
Current projects: Visual Novel "Cyberlin"

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#10 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

IsharaComix
Projects: @CameliaGirls

#11 Post by IsharaComix »

I mostly listen to jazz and classical music, but I'll listen to just about any genre if it's licensed under a Creative Commons license. I get most of my songs from http://www.jamendo.com/en/.

ShojiAmasawa
Veteran
Completed: EVOLVEd: Echoes Of The Codex War, [ASH] the Seeds of Destruction
Projects: Cult of the Lily (18+)
Organization: PaperDoor Studios
Tumblr: paperdoorstudios
Deviantart: ShojiAmasawa
Soundcloud: Greyberry

#12 Post by ShojiAmasawa »

I listen to this kind of music...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAbZzdalZh4

Atlantis
Regular
Completed: Tales of Atlantis
Projects: LDVELH

#13 Post by Atlantis »

There are 10 sorts of people, those who understand the binary and the others..

AnthonyHJ
Regular
Projects: Past Mistakes
Organization: Freya's Aett

#14 Post by AnthonyHJ »

What I listen to depends on what I am doing.

Writing tends to require a relevant piece, something that inspires the story. If I am writing detective fiction, like the Jack Flint games, I listen to jazz. If I am writing fantasy fiction, I listen to RPG music (videogame soundtracks and artists like Erdenstern or Nox Arcana) on the whole. You get the picture. No lyrics though; lyrics kill my train of thought.

When coding and scripting, I listen to something loud and fast-paced. Metal, industrial, whatever keeps me going. Nothing too fast, no speed-metal or screaming here, but something unrelenting with a good pace.
Recent work - iSchool Dreams: First Semester / iSchool Dreams: My Valentine (iPhone / iPad, dating sims)

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

#15 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Industrial metal, drum & bass, and partial to some dubstep, although the majority of what people listen to is repetitive crap.

I'm a bass head basically. I want my music fast, complicated, and with levels of bass that cause health problems.

And I loathe J-pop. The more I understand Japanese, the more I hate J-pop.

Like Anthony, I find metal is great for concentration.
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.