Wasn't Aware That the Forums Have a Posting Maximum.

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
kistnerelizabeth
Regular

Wasn't Aware That the Forums Have a Posting Maximum.

#1 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

I post one line posts, because it can be hard to type. I have nerve damage in my hands. Seven surgeries will do that to you. But, I won't let that stop me from my goal. I want to encourage people to continue making their games and doing what they're doing. I have yet to receive any complaints at all on any of the forums where I posted one line messages, which is why it's odd that I am getting told I am spamming the board somehow with my one line messages. Each message is typed out, not copied and pasted, by the way. So, it shouldn't be seen as spam.

Yet, I get a message from a moderator telling me to "Stop with the One Line Posts, Already.". Oh, I wasn't aware it was considered spam or rude. I'm sorry. I guess I should write a million paragraphs next time I want to talk to someone. Sorry, Mr./Mrs./Ms. Mod, for bothering you with my one liners. Guess I messed up by trying to show some form of interest, but without a bazillion words.

You know, the post you tagged with the message, was me actually supporting the creator of the game. I'm friends with them on Facebook and she said she'd love to see more posts in her forums since it feels like she's talking to herself. I helped her out and posted "good luck!" about her Kickstarter.

It's really sad. I use these forums to connect with other people and even to teach myself how to code and use Ren'Py. Yet, to be treated like this is ridiculous. I might end up just going to more forums, cause apparently I'm not welcome here. Too bad, seeing as these forums have really cool people, yet I'm just not allowed to post one-liners. I've seen posts with nothing but emoticons, but it's my one-liners that are irritating, apparently.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Wasn't Aware That the Forums Have a Posting Maximum.

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Spite threads are usually a shortcut to bansville.

It is what it is, sometimes it sucks, but venting publically is generally a bad idea.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

kistnerelizabeth
Regular

#3 Post by kistnerelizabeth »

I understand and I honestly don't care. The fact that he had to pick on me and point me out, when there are other people on this forum who do way worse things, is ridiculous. I just don't get why I got chosen to be harassed. I'm pointing it out because it needs to be said publicly. I'm not sitting here and taking it in private.

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

Hm, I looked through your posts and I would agree that none of them look like spam or spam-like 'well done!'s. They're short but they're never a short sentence.
Edit: Apparently it's more because of the rate within one hour. That seems like an issue that either suggests that you read too quickly or can resolve the issue by making some of your replies longer. :wink:
Last edited by Mammon on Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

#5 Post by TheJerminator15 »

I mean, to be frank it's not like they could have possibly known about your situation. Such posts are generally seen as spam ones, so when they're happening to such an extent and it fits the critieria the mods are going to act accordingly. Surely if you just explained in reply to them privately they would have been fine with it?
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#6 Post by sasquatchii »

TheJerminator15 wrote:I mean, to be frank it's not like they could have possibly known about your situation. Such posts are generally seen as spam ones, so when they're happening to such an extent and it fits the critieria the mods are going to act accordingly. Surely if you just explained in reply to them privately they would have been fine with it?
Yup. The mods on these forums are stand up folk who, at the end of the day, just want these forums to promote thoughtful and meaningful discussion between members in our community.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with brevity or one liner replies. I feel like if OP just replied to the mod who sent her the message and told them what she told us, they would be a bit more understanding. Having nerve damage in your hands is that makes it difficult to type is something that I'm pretty sure anyone could sympathize with.

Also, have you looked into any text to speech programs for your computer or your phone? I could be wrong but I believe there is software out there that would let you dictate your messages anywhere online so you wouldn't have to type everything out.
ImageImage

SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

#7 Post by SinaAzad »

sasquatchii wrote: Also, have you looked into any text to speech programs for your computer or your phone? I could be wrong but I believe there is software out there that would let you dictate your messages anywhere online so you wouldn't have to type everything out.
"text to speech" usually reads a text for you, but you are correct! There is this thing called "windows speak recognition" installed on every system starting from windows 7 , no idea about linux based systems like Ubuntu or IOS.
which lets you dictate text or control your system by voice. it is a bit tricky to use though.

at the end I think it is not right to consider 1 line posts as spams unless stated so in the rules or it is there to be used as a way to bring a dead topic up again and this should also be in the rules. But if they are stated in rules, no matter what the reason ... one should obey them.

To be honest I'd like to see the moderator involved or someone related to moderators answers you properly, and as this community is one of the most friendly communities out there , I wont be surprised if they answer you soon enough, either here or by PM.
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

Just a quick reply, to put the facts out here.

For the record, kistnerelizabeth posted 22 messages in 61 minutes. That's a rate of one message every 2 minutes and 45 seconds, sustained for over an hour. I have trouble believing that anyone can compose multiple messages that advance the conversation at that rate. Many of the messages are short, and consists of slightly longer versions of "I like it." or "I look forward to it".

Without reasoning behind the messages, what kistnerelizabeth did is to just bump 22 posts. That's a little unfair to the forum as a whole, just like all bumping is. We're a discussion forum, and so by default the forum software mostly surfaces the threads that have the most interesting discussion. When someone bumps a ton of threads, that's no longer working, and the forum is surfacing one person's opinions more than everyone else's.

That's why I reminded her to "Read the message below the posting box, and stop with the one-liner posts." I think the forums have been relatively good about staying on topic and not full of meaningless posts. (With a few exceptions, which I'll be dealing with soon.) When I see someone falling short, I remind them.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#9 Post by sasquatchii »

SinaAzad wrote: "text to speech" usually reads a text for you, but you are correct! There is this thing called "windows speak recognition" installed on every system starting from windows 7 , no idea about linux based systems like Ubuntu or IOS.
Wow, that is so cool! I had no idea that thing was a thing that I could use right now without even having to install anything.

I just pulled it up on my computer but I'm too afraid to set it up, I am not the most technically adept person when it comes to using software or most technology xD

Thanks for sharing this useful piece of info!
ImageImage