Sprites vs. CGs, Art Opinion Question

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Suru
Regular

Sprites vs. CGs, Art Opinion Question

#1 Post by Suru »

I am (very slowly) working on gathering the resources to program my own game. (it's got about 90 mins playability atm but I am still missing certain art assets and haven't even started on musicial/sound ones). I already have a sprite artist (those are about 40% done) and I've been trying to figure out a good way to throw in CG styled arts without paying through the nose. I've considered just picking up commissions here and there for artists that allow for commercial use but obviously the artwork wouldn't really be the same across the board that way. My question is would players of these games find it jarring or dislike this sort of approach?

SinaAzad
Veteran
IRC Nick: SinaAzad
Deviantart: sinaazad
Soundcloud: Sina_Azad

Re: Sprites vs. CGs, Art Opinion Question

#2 Post by SinaAzad »

not really , it is very common for CGs and sprites to have different art quality/style, but it should be controlled , also if one is going to be of higher quality it should be the CG.
most of the artists can follow another persons style of they want to or they are asked , so you may wanna consider asking the artists if they can follow the style used for sprites or not.
I am very proud to be a part of this generous, nice and friendly community!
but please, don't go around telling people that their work is somehow off! thats not how critique works!
Mainly a C# Programmer

My drawings:

parttimestorier
Veteran
Completed: No Other Medicine, Well Met By Moonlight, RE:BURN, The Light at the End of the Ocean, Take A Hike!, Wizard School Woes
Projects: Seeds of Dreams
itch: janetitor

#3 Post by parttimestorier »

I don't think it would be all that abnormal for a short indie VN to just not have CGs, or have very few. You could always just try to get as much of the narrative across through descriptions and sprite poses and expressions as possible, and just have one or two CGs at really important moments. I agree with SinaAzad that it wouldn't be too bad to just have the CGs look a bit different from the sprites either, but it might be pretty weird if the CGs look drastically different from each other.
ImageImageImage

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#4 Post by Mammon »

If the coloring is the same, that would immediately help a lot. While the lineart is also important, a different style there is less jarring than seeing the characters in different color tones all of a sudden. Make sure the CG artists have a sample of the sprites with color quality good enough to copy (so with those little dots of the pure color on the side) and maybe even some further details (like which brush used and in what size)
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

sasquatchii
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: A Day in the Life of a Slice of Bread
Deviantart: sasquatchix
Soundcloud: sasquatchii
itch: sasquatchii

#5 Post by sasquatchii »

Hmm, it might help to determine your budget (if you haven't already) and then shop around for artists who you can work together with whose prices will allow you to stay within budget.

A lot of folks on the artist recruitment forum will even post their prices in their threads so you don't have to wonder whether or not you can afford them!

I have played visual novels where art styles were different when it came to CGs versus the actual sprites. Some games had even more than 4 artists contributing to the art assets, but the color palettes and characters were cohesive so I didn't really mind or even notice in some cases. You could ask artists to emulate certain styles, use similar color palettes, etc.

Good luck with your game!
ImageImage

Suru
Regular

#6 Post by Suru »

Thanks for the suggestions/observations. I'm gonna keep them in mind as I continue forward but I have a better idea of what I should go for.