Question about Works in Progress Thread

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
DreamingHearts
Projects: Dreaming Hearts
Deviantart: orionfantasy

Question about Works in Progress Thread

#1 Post by DreamingHearts »

Hello everyone,

I am sorry if this is in the wrong thread to post this or if someone else has already asked this but I do have a question regarding the Works in Progress thread.

I am planning on doing a fundraising platform once I get further in my game but I read that we need to have a demo of sorts to include it in the forum. I was wondering what if we need the fundraising platform to pay for the artwork that is needed in the game (sprites, backgrounds, CGs)? I am a writer so I have a hired an artist to do the artwork but in order for the artwork creation to start, I need to pay the artist. So I feel like this is kind of a catch 22 for me...

Any advice given would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Question about Works in Progress Thread

#2 Post by fleet »

You don't have enough money to pay the artist for a short demo?
Use creative commons art or hand drawn stick figures for the demo, and state that you'll be using a paid professional artist for the final project. Pay him for at least one sprite, background , or CG so you can show a sample of the 'final' artwork.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

runadial
Regular
Completed: My Only Sunshine
Projects: CrossDol (BL), Forsaken
Organization: astellic

Re: Question about Works in Progress Thread

#3 Post by runadial »

Yes, you do have to have a demo because otherwise why would people donate to you when it indicates more risk for them? Another option may be having artists do the artwork needed for your demo, and once the campaign is done and funded, you can use that money to pay the artists as needed, provided that the artists are okay with this option.

Remember to negotiate if you can to ensure agreement between both parties in regards to payment. Chances are that as long as the artist wishes to stay in the project out of their own volition, then they may still be able to work with you in accordance to your budget. Though not always the case, it's always good to try. Artists are people, too, after all.