Thinking of creating a YT Channel to Read and Support VN's - Good or bad?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
OoAmmyoO
Completed: Rock Robin, Changeling (assistant)
Projects: Masada-Sensei, ReMix: Mixolys (working title)
itch: ammy.itch.io/

Re: Thinking of creating a YT Channel to Read and Support VN's - Good or bad?

#31 Post by OoAmmyoO »

I would subscribe for sure! And if you play just one route that's perfectly fine, I just want to see the 'feel' of the games so I can decide if I should play them myself you know? Plus, I really love reacts in general... What can I say... There's just one chance to see something for the first time, and as a game developer observing the raw feeling of a player to your creation is super important. Also, if you do not wish to record the whole game, you can always come back later with your opinion after having fully played it and connected all the dots about the story in your head. Both 'reactions' are very important...! How long until the player got a grasp of everything that was goin on? Was it hard to understand? Was it too simple for his/her tastes? You know what I mean. There are some comments you can only make before and after playing something. Haha.

It is also fine if you make short videos of longer games imo. Concentrate on making short videos, unless you really really really want to make a full series on a specific game that you think it's really worth it. Because let's face it, it takes time to make content and... You might not be able to talk about as many games as you wished to because you've been playing a single title for too long, recording, editing and posting it. It depends on what kind of channel you wish to have in the end. If you really wish to play whole playtroughs that's okay, but it can hold you back. Think on what you would like to see in a channel about VNs, and also consider that long videos have a smaller chance to attract a lot of people.

Personally if I were you:
> Avoid streaming. Believe me, people who enjoy VNs like having a story in it's entirety and will be quite disappointed at finding you in the middle of the book already. Not to mention streaming issues even the most experienced youtubers have that will just be a chaos to fix. We all have patience enough to wait for awhile for your new video dear. 'w' Take it slow.
> Play short VNs (5 episodes tops) most of the time. (Maybe) Let your watchers vote on a long title for you to test now and then, and do make polls. Lots of them.
> If you wish to make a video with reviews of a novel, try this: show some screenshots and art about the project and what made you pick it, record your thoughts on the title and what you're expecting -before- playing it, then actually play the game by yourself. Then go back to editing the video and add some 'best moments' cuts with your comments over them and make a small conclusion with your new thoughts and opinions.

Hope this helps...!

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#32 Post by Caveat Lector »

Out of curiousity, how would you cover kinetic VN's, if at all?
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

OoAmmyoO
Completed: Rock Robin, Changeling (assistant)
Projects: Masada-Sensei, ReMix: Mixolys (working title)
itch: ammy.itch.io/

#33 Post by OoAmmyoO »

Caveat Lector wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:17 pm Out of curiousity, how would you cover kinetic VN's, if at all?
Mm... I suppose if it is a short novel, it is more than okay. If you wish to make a 'review', make a single video with the game and your comments on it. Tag the timeline with both the start and the end of the playtrough, and edit the start and the end of the video with your comments on the game before and after playing. If there are spoilers after playing it, make sure to warn your viewers beforehand so they can 'skip' those parts :wink:

Basically:
About the game and expectatives>::::Playtrough:::::>Spoiler warnings>End comments with Spoilers>Ending notes review (spoiler free)>End
About longer kinetic novels, I suppose it's okay to play it up to a certain point in video. It's hard to tell, but usually there is a moment when it becomes perfect to put a cliffhanger (oh the tease), so maybe that's where you want to cut it as a preview. However, since build up time varies from story to story try to make a rule for yourself: a video review cannot be longer than x minutes or so. If that apex moment takes longer to appear, keep playing by yourself and comment on what you found out later by the end of the video superficially: if the story made a sudden turn, how you fell after and while reading it and *maybe* teasing a few screens and best moments. But again, pretty much tell if you liked it and why, but let the viewers decide for themselves if it's worth a shot. If a longer KN was very, very good, consider a poll asking if they would like a full playtrough of it. If they don't, that's okay. The important is that you enjoyed it, and you're ready for the next great title. :D

So:
About>::::Playtrough (partial):::::>Spoiler warnings>End comments with Spoilers>Ending notes review and some extra screens(spoiler free)>End