Thinking of creating a YT Channel to Read and Support VN's - Good or bad?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Thinking of creating a YT Channel to Read and Support VN's - Good or bad?

#16 Post by Mammon »

Minty_Readings wrote:Now, when I talk about recording and playing the visual novel in its entirety, I don't exactly mean to play everything in just one sitting.
Okay, that was my biggest concern. From
Minty_Readings wrote:Record playing the visual novel in advance
- Edit the audio and video all the way through, then combine the two together
+
Minty_Readings wrote:I come to the point where I know that the decisions I make will impact who I end up romancing or determine which ending I get
I took that you'd first play the game in it's entirety for your own amusement (Which you still might, how else can you tell if it's any good? :wink: ), then do the playthrough for the video and audio + editing, and only then when you have all of that, starting and uploading with ep1 of your youtube videos. If it's in manageable chucks, I no longer worry.
Minty_Readings wrote:So far, I think that the way I'm doing things right now is effective enough and certainly has been proven decent to me, but at the same time - as you've stated, it could be more time consuming and far too "perfect and high-quality to be practical". Do you perhaps have any suggestions that you think could help my process or perhaps anything that you think might be a bit more convenient and doable (besides from the streaming)? I would love to hear what you think! :'D
I'm not too sure what the .mp3 step is about (Note: By lack of knowing much in that area, not in a form of doubting your approach), nor am I that familiar with youtube uploading and streaming at all. Sorry, my previous advice was about something I know: People taking on more than they can chew, and being demotivated by their own perfectionistic desires. Whether it's a development project or this, I can recognise that mistake from having seen it before. Though, as I said, those worries have eased. In this area, I'm afraid I know little. :?
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#17 Post by mitoky »

Personally, i think the idea sounds wonderful (:
I would stick to the way you mententioned, for free games everything and for commercial games only one route.

Since you too said you wish to show everything to the player, why not make a visuel novel streaming day with the player deciding what you play?

But instead, you can make a poll with the remaining routes you didnt put into the lets play and have the watchers decide which to play.
Example:

"Poll for the next ViNo Friday Stream
1.) Game A - Character A
2.) Game S - Character B
3.) Game C - Character D
4.) Game F - Character C"

and the next one could be:

1.) Game A - Character C
2.) Game S - Character C
3.) Game C - Character B
4.) Game F - Character A"

That way you could complete a game over time for the viewer and yet not have it as lets play online. And once something was covered in a lets play, that poll choice is off the list. Things not chosen can reappear in other polls or 2nd moct chosen etc can be used in case the game is short and you plan to continue to stream a bit more.

Also dont have too many choices in the poll. 4 would be best, otherwise more people might be not satisfied with the "winner".

However, you shouldn't upload the videos of the stream on youtube or use patreon etc, it will become a mess if you have to run after every game developer and pay them. The games are commercial and you should stay consequent with that.
Instead maybe leave the video for 3 days on your streaming platform (like twitch) so people who missed a part or missed it can rewatch that and delete it after the 3 days.

Thats at least my take on the matter. I hope i could help!
On a side note, once my game is done you are free to make a lets play of it, if you want of course (:

Minty_Readings
Tumblr: luckydicegoblin

#18 Post by Minty_Readings »

Mammon wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:26 pm
Minty_Readings wrote:Now, when I talk about recording and playing the visual novel in its entirety, I don't exactly mean to play everything in just one sitting.
Okay, that was my biggest concern. From
Minty_Readings wrote:Record playing the visual novel in advance
- Edit the audio and video all the way through, then combine the two together
+
Minty_Readings wrote:I come to the point where I know that the decisions I make will impact who I end up romancing or determine which ending I get
I took that you'd first play the game in it's entirety for your own amusement (Which you still might, how else can you tell if it's any good? :wink: ), then do the playthrough for the video and audio + editing, and only then when you have all of that, starting and uploading with ep1 of your youtube videos. If it's in manageable chucks, I no longer worry.
Minty_Readings wrote:So far, I think that the way I'm doing things right now is effective enough and certainly has been proven decent to me, but at the same time - as you've stated, it could be more time consuming and far too "perfect and high-quality to be practical". Do you perhaps have any suggestions that you think could help my process or perhaps anything that you think might be a bit more convenient and doable (besides from the streaming)? I would love to hear what you think! :'D
I'm not too sure what the .mp3 step is about (Note: By lack of knowing much in that area, not in a form of doubting your approach), nor am I that familiar with youtube uploading and streaming at all. Sorry, my previous advice was about something I know: People taking on more than they can chew, and being demotivated by their own perfectionistic desires. Whether it's a development project or this, I can recognise that mistake from having seen it before. Though, as I said, those worries have eased. In this area, I'm afraid I know little. :?
Ah, I see! Well, I'm glad that you no longer worry about the workload and find the process to be a bit more sustainable :)
I greatly appreciate your concern and pointing out how my process before seemed a bit too much! ^ v ^
[I left and then came back 9 years later.]

Minty_Readings

#19 Post by Minty_Readings »

mitoky wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:36 pm Personally, i think the idea sounds wonderful (:
I would stick to the way you mententioned, for free games everything and for commercial games only one route.

Since you too said you wish to show everything to the player, why not make a visuel novel streaming day with the player deciding what you play?

But instead, you can make a poll with the remaining routes you didnt put into the lets play and have the watchers decide which to play.
Example:

1.) Game A - Character A
2.) Game S - Character B
3.) Game C - Character D

and the next one could be:

1.) Game A - Character C
2.) Game S - Character C
3.) Game C - Character B
4.) Game F - Character A"

That way you could complete a game over time for the viewer and yet not have it as lets play online. And once something was covered in a lets play, that poll choice is off the list. Things not chosen can reappear in other polls or 2nd moct chosen etc can be used in case the game is short and you plan to continue to stream a bit more.

Also dont have too many choices in the poll. 4 would be best, otherwise more people might be not satisfied with the "winner".

However, you shouldn't upload the videos of the stream on youtube or use patreon etc, it will become a mess if you have to run after every game developer and pay them. The games are commercial and you should stay consequent with that.
Instead maybe leave the video for 3 days on your streaming platform (like twitch) so people who missed a part or missed it can rewatch that and delete it after the 3 days.

Thats at least my take on the matter. I hope i could help!
On a side note, once my game is done you are free to make a lets play of it, if you want of course (:
First off, I'm glad to hear that you find the idea to be a positive one! :D And I would love to play your game once it is released (and once I learn a bit more about it!) Thank you for the opportunity! ^ v ^

Second, I understand what you're coming from in regards to having the viewers chose which route to play next via poll and what choices to make. I think that it would be a really effective way to get the viewers involved and also have them be more interested in the game :D
I'm not sure if I'll be able to start those streams right away, but I am most certainly planning on it!

One thing I'm a little confused by is how you gave your example with the poll... It's mainly just the random letters like:
mitoky wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:36 pm
1.) Game A - Character A
2.) Game S - Character B
3.) Game C - Character D
I'm pretty sure I understand the gist of it, but at the same time the letters are throwing my off, haha! ^ v ^;
Regarding deleting the livestream after 3 days, I am a little unsure about that. Granted, it does go by the how the developers would have wanted as well as satisfying the the viewers, but perhaps the number of days it would be up is a little too short. If I were to do a livestream on a platform like Twitch on a weekend, would it be a bit more convenient for people if I took it down by the end of the week - giving them 5 days to watch/re-watch as much as they want? I do like the idea of taking down the livestream to respect the developers decision though, so much appreciation for that suggestion! :D

mitoky
Veteran
Projects: The Purring Demon's Love, circus eterie

#20 Post by mitoky »

Of course, the time its up was juts a suggestion (: i think anything up to a week would be fine personally but you should clear that with the dev's if possible.

No problem! I dont mind explaining, so for example you are playing a commercial game, imaginary title, called "love letter" and it has 3 characters.
The characters are named Jim, Tim and Dan.
You make a lets play of Jim, as example, and include Tim and Dan into future polls for the live-lets play.
So people have much more of a choice you would have, in an ideal case, 4 diffrent character choices of each a diffrent games if there are 4 choices to chose from etc and not 4 of the same game, as some might find a game title not interssting, hence all 4 wouldnt be interessting to them.
But the title which was chosen should definitely have one charcater of the same game too in the next poll, in case people want to continue the same game.

In our example that would mean that if Tim is included in a poll and wins, that Dan definitely should appear in the next poll as choice.

I hope i could explain! ^^

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#21 Post by trooper6 »

I live stream video games on Twitch and quite a few of the games I stream are Visual Novels (I also stream story games in general and RPGs and art games). And then I post those novels to my YouTube afterwards. I'm not the only one. At the moment I'm streaming Dream Daddy...and lots of people are streaming Dream Daddy. So there are people who stream VNs and people who watch VNs. You can get an audience if that is what you want, but you there is work you have to do to cultivate that audience. Consistency in scheduling, networking, advertising, etc. I'm doing well in terms of Twitch, though my YouTube doesn't get many hits. Which is fine. The center of my draw is Twitch. Though Twitch also involves being a personality who can create and cultivate community, and having a hook that makes people interested in *you*.

If you only want to to do edited let's plays for YouTube, I know I've seen those for Visual Novels as well. So if you want to do it, go for it. Lots of other people are already doing it, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#22 Post by Imperf3kt »

I personally find replaying VNs to be difficult, even months after I first played through.
So, going by this experience, I can safely assume that should I watch your videos, I will find playing the VN myself somewhat shallower an experience and in the case of kinetic novels, even somewhat boring simply because I've already experienced it.

With regular video games, lets play videos are fine, because no two games ever play the same, but with a visual novel, the story is the content and it doesn't change, so experience it once and you quickly get tired of repeating that.

Given that the VN market is niche as it is, I expect many people new to the genre would dislike re-reading such a game.

What it would do, is encourage me to play OTHER titles by the developer - if any.

In my opinion, don't do a whole route, do just one chapter.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Minty_Readings

#23 Post by Minty_Readings »

trooper6 wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:17 pm I live stream video games on Twitch and quite a few of the games I stream are Visual Novels (I also stream story games in general and RPGs and art games). And then I post those novels to my YouTube afterwards. I'm not the only one. At the moment I'm streaming Dream Daddy...and lots of people are streaming Dream Daddy. So there are people who stream VNs and people who watch VNs. You can get an audience if that is what you want, but you there is work you have to do to cultivate that audience. Consistency in scheduling, networking, advertising, etc. I'm doing well in terms of Twitch, though my YouTube doesn't get many hits. Which is fine. The center of my draw is Twitch. Though Twitch also involves being a personality who can create and cultivate community, and having a hook that makes people interested in *you*.

If you only want to to do edited let's plays for YouTube, I know I've seen those for Visual Novels as well. So if you want to do it, go for it. Lots of other people are already doing it, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel.
Ah, I see! In that case, is there any other tips that you can share to possibly help me become successful? I would be eternally grateful :'D

Minty_Readings

#24 Post by Minty_Readings »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:58 pm I personally find replaying VNs to be difficult, even months after I first played through.
So, going by this experience, I can safely assume that should I watch your videos, I will find playing the VN myself somewhat shallower an experience and in the case of kinetic novels, even somewhat boring simply because I've already experienced it.

With regular video games, lets play videos are fine, because no two games ever play the same, but with a visual novel, the story is the content and it doesn't change, so experience it once and you quickly get tired of repeating that.

Given that the VN market is niche as it is, I expect many people new to the genre would dislike re-reading such a game.

What it would do, is encourage me to play OTHER titles by the developer - if any.

In my opinion, don't do a whole route, do just one chapter.
I completely understand where your are coming from. There are some games that I find difficult to get into after watching someone else play it or playing a game myself. A perfect example of this for me would be Persona 4 Golden - a game which I have bought and completed, but accidentally deleted in an attempt to make more memory. Ever since then, I struggle to even think about replaying the game because I know everything that happens.

However, the channel's whole purpose is to boost visual novels both big and small -- from actual companies to indie developers like many here on Lemma Soft. If a person such as yourself were to watch a video from my channel and become interested in the game, then they don't have to continue watching the videos. If they want, they can listen to the audio while they play the game themselves, but that's only optional.

I plan for my main niche to be mostly targeted towards people who are interested in good stories (or just story telling) with visual novels as a sort of "sub-niche". Since story telling and visual novels go rather well together, I can only hope that it makes a lovely tango performance. So, hopefully, even if you find yourself only watching a few of my videos so you can play the visual novel yourself, there will definitely be other things on the channel to grab your attention as well to entertain you. (What do you think of this? Is this a good plan or is there something that you find almost concerning? If a "show" were to pop-up as a sub series on the channel, do you see yourself being interested to watch it?)

runadial
Regular
Completed: My Only Sunshine
Projects: CrossDol (BL), Forsaken
Organization: astellic

#25 Post by runadial »

I have no objections. I'd say as long as you know you have permission to go do playthroughs or whatever, free or commercial. However, some nitpicky visual novels out there - the vast majority if not all being commercial - only allow a small portion to be uploaded publicly to YouTube.

For example, there's an otome called Nightshade; they only allow the first two chapters (half of the common path) to be publicly released on YouTube or social media, if I remember right.

So just look out for stuff like that and respect the creators, and you'll be fine on YouTube. Sometimes only a small portion is enough to boost someone else's confidence, especially when giving positive feedback about a particular game. Anyways, good luck on your YouTube endeavors.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Imperf3kt »

you see yourself being interested to watch it?
I apologise in advance for the bluntness, but no, I would not. I dislike watching other people play games, they annoy me because I can't help but keep asking 'why did you do that?', keep thinking 'go that way, THAT WAY!' or 'Don't waste that, use it sparingly or later / on aa different enemy etc' and generally consider the person incompetent. I am a very strategic player and can't stand most YouTube vidros except epic fail videos or esports tournaments.

If the person is actually decent, I quickly bore of watching and instead go play for myself. So for a VN I would very likely hit skip after watching a video and in my opinion, see no value at all in watching such videos - either I play it for myself, or I do something more constructive.

Twitter

Minty_Readings

#27 Post by Minty_Readings »

runadial wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 pm I have no objections. I'd say as long as you know you have permission to go do playthroughs or whatever, free or commercial. However, some nitpicky visual novels out there - the vast majority if not all being commercial - only allow a small portion to be uploaded publicly to YouTube.

For example, there's an otome called Nightshade; they only allow the first two chapters (half of the common path) to be publicly released on YouTube or social media, if I remember right.

So just look out for stuff like that and respect the creators, and you'll be fine on YouTube. Sometimes only a small portion is enough to boost someone else's confidence, especially when giving positive feedback about a particular game. Anyways, good luck on your YouTube endeavors.
Ah, thank you so much! :'D I'll be sure to keep what you have said in mind. After all, I want to boost and/or help visual novels -- not harm it.
Fun fact, I am actually reading Nightshade right now and plan to release it as the first series on the channel XD
Last edited by Minty_Readings on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minty_Readings

#28 Post by Minty_Readings »

Imperf3kt wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:36 pm
you see yourself being interested to watch it?
I apologise in advance for the bluntness, but no, I would not. I dislike watching other people play games, they annoy me because I can't help but keep asking 'why did you do that?', keep thinking 'go that way, THAT WAY!' or 'Don't waste that, use it sparingly or later / on aa different enemy etc' and generally consider the person incompetent. I am a very strategic player and can't stand most YouTube vidros except epic fail videos or esports tournaments.

If the person is actually decent, I quickly bore of watching and instead go play for myself. So for a VN I would very likely hit skip after watching a video and in my opinion, see no value at all in watching such videos - either I play it for myself, or I do something more constructive.
Once again, I completely understand where you are coming from. I am the same way. I also appreciate your honesty! :'D

However, when I am referring to a "show" on my channel, I am talking about an actual show with animated fictional characters with simple animation, but have a very compelling story. As I had explained before, my main niche would be targeted towards people who enjoy a good story. But, as I said, I understand your position and your perspective on the matter. Thank you for your discussion! :D

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Imperf3kt »

Of course, some people would enjoy such a thing. I know I used to when I was younger, but once time becomes more valuable to you than money, I guess some ideals change.

I don't want to come across as completely negative :P

Twitter

runadial
Regular
Completed: My Only Sunshine
Projects: CrossDol (BL), Forsaken
Organization: astellic

#30 Post by runadial »

Minty_Readings wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:43 pmAh, thank you so much! :'D I'll be sure to keep what you have said in mind. After all, I want to boost and/or help visual novels -- not harm it.
Fun fact, I am actually reading Nightshade right now and plan to release it as the first series on the channel XD
I understand. I just wanted to give a heads up about it; I'm sure you'll do a good job doing those things. It would honestly be a relief for me if I'm stressed to listen to a story told from someone reading it... or I just listen to too many drama CDs, haha. And that's awesome, I didn't know that!

I started Nightshade, but after reading two routes (Goemon and Kuroyuki) I decided to take a break. The stories were just so heartbreaking to me, especially the bad ends; I plan to get back into it though so I can finish the game! I guess I'm just not as used to angst as I thought, haha...