Twitch Stream

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Twitch Stream

#1 Post by Zelan »

I wasn't totally sure where else to put this besides the game's thread but I'm trying to stream A Near Dawn on Twitch. I have no idea what I'm doing but ehhh

I'm gonna leave it up without playing for a bit to see if anyone actually joins, and maybe stream more of your guys' VNs in the future? We'll see if I can make this halfway decent, haha.

EDIT: So an impromptu stream was probably not my most well-thought out idea. I sat for a while and didn't get any viewers, presumably because there's no one here to do the viewing. If this is something y'all are into, though, maybe talk about what would be the best days/times for me to do something like this? And maybe general streaming tips too because I've literally never done this before.

Or if you aren't into this at all just tell me and I won't try again. cx

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Twitch Stream

#2 Post by trooper6 »

I'm a Twitch streamer, will have been doing it for year in November. I stream Visual Novels and other story focused games and I'm planning on adding tabletop RPGs at some time. I'm not huge and famous, but I'm currently a Twitch Affiliate. I'm really close to 250 followers, I have 10 subscribers and average 12-14 concurrent viewers. I hope to increase those numbers, of course, but it takes time and work.

So tips?

1) Streaming is about creating a community. So you need to ponder what this means.
2) If you want people to join your community, you may want to join other communities first. I got my start not by streaming, but by being a good and visible member of other streaming communities. People knew me and had already formed a bit of community with me...so when I started streaming, there was already a group of people who were willing to check out my stream.
3) Consistency! Decide exactly when you are going to stream (Saturdays from 12-3pm; Monday through Friday 8pm-10pm; whatever). Advertise that on your stream home page and do that consistently no matter how many of how few people are viewing. You want your viewers to be able to rely on you. My habit is not starting on time consistently, and I need to work on that. Because I am an academic and have to go to conferences, I sometimes have to miss stream days (always a bad thing to do for your viewership), but I post when I'm going to be missing, and let them know why.
4) Have follower/sub goals. People find that sort of thing exciting.
5) Social Media Integration. Have a Twitter account where you Tweet when you are going live, and also make a presence for yourself. Have a YouTube account where you will archive your streams. If you are dedicated, create a Discord Server where you invite your followers and create another space for community building.
6) Know your core followers. Say hello. When people pop into the stream, I try to say hello to each of them and ask them how they are doing...try to get to know them. I know the birthdays of my mod and some of my more core followers, and I'll sing them happy birthday on their birthday.
7) Have a purpose. Maybe you are super entertaining. Maybe you want to do only stream Oregon Trail. Whatever. What is your niche? Mine involves a place where we take games seriously and talk philosophically about them.
8) Be a good citizen. Follow other streamers, when you finish your stream, host a raid of another stream that is similar to your stream. Support them, then they may support you.
9) Do your research! You do know other streamers who are like you, right? Find them! Support them...they may support you in return!
10) Be strategic about the games you play. I do a lot of VNs. But I also stream Dragon Age: Inquisition. And I alternate some obscure VNs with some newer and higher profile games. People can find you by searching for streamers who are playing a specific game...so if you are streaming the newest Telltale Game, you might get a bunch of new followers who find you through that game. This doesn't mean you only play the most popular games, but take it into account.
11) Enjoy what you do.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#3 Post by Scribbles »

I'll follow you on twitch and try to catch what I can! Trooper I'll follow your twitch too if you share a link, I love watching LPs
Image - Image -Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Zelan »

Thank you for the list, Trooper! That's super helpful. c:

The bit about community in particular is definitely important. It was something that I had even thought about a bit, since I'm really not active in streaming communities at all. I'm fairly active on LemmaSoft so I thought that the visibility might be good for at least one streaming session, but still it would probably take a bit more planning than what I did.

Honestly, the time aspect what makes me hesitate to try streaming regularly. It would probably be awesome, but the amount of time required to set a schedule as well as to interact more with the community isn't really feasible for me at the moment. Maybe in the future, though? Either way, I'd still like to do this game now that I've made a whole big thing of it.

Thanks again for the info, and like Scribbles said I would follow you if you shared a link!
Scribbles wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:09 pm I'll follow you on twitch and try to catch what I can! Trooper I'll follow your twitch too if you share a link, I love watching LPs
Thank you, Scribbles! ^_^ The second try for a stream of A Near Dawn will probably be some time this weekend. I think I'll update here and on the game's WIP thread once I have a time set in stone, and then quit spamming the forum with talk about just me.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Zelan »

Okay, this is gonna be my last advertising-type post but I'm gonna be trying A Near Dawn again in 10-15 minutes. Same link as in the first post. ^_^

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#6 Post by trooper6 »

You really need to advertise more than 10-15 minutes in advance. I'm first seeing this post at midnight on Sunday...so I missed the stream. If I had known a few days in advance I might have been able to find time to attend.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Zelan »

trooper6 wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:11 am You really need to advertise more than 10-15 minutes in advance. I'm first seeing this post at midnight on Sunday...so I missed the stream. If I had known a few days in advance I might have been able to find time to attend.
Sorry about that. I had posted about it in the game's thread and on my Tumblr the day before I planned to stream, but I felt like I would be pushing the boundaries on spamming if I kept on posting in this thread, especially if no one replied between my posts. You probably wouldn't have been all that impressed anyway, though. <: I was very much fumbling throughout the whole thing and I couldn't figure out how to get the game's audio to play through the stream, not to mention that the computer I was trying to use so I could look at the chat would not cooperate with me.

All in all, it was a pretty fun experience, but to stream more regularly I would definitely have to plan streaming times + advertising myself better, get more comfortable with using Twitch, and of course get more involved in the streaming community. It's not a definite no, but I don't think I have the time to commit to it at this point.

I guess the last thing I should mention is that I do plan on uploading the recording of the stream to YouTube at some point, but I'm going to refrain from posting that here because it's less relevant to streaming than it is to A Near Dawn and basically advertising myself. If anyone was interested in that, keep an eye on A Near Dawn's WIP thread because I'll be linking it there once it's uploaded.

Thanks again for all of the advice, trooper6. c: It will come in handy if/when I get into regular streaming, I really do appreciate it.