where on the interent would fanworks of indie VNs congregate?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
4love

where on the interent would fanworks of indie VNs congregate?

#1 Post by 4love »

Does anyone have experience with fanworks of indie VNs?

I read a lot of fanfiction in general, so I know of major sites for fanworks that I frequent:
  • archiveofourown.org
  • fanfiction.net
I'm curious if fanworks for indie VNs have any particular sites where fanwork authors tend to gravitate?

The background for this question is I wrote the beginning of a fanfic based on the VN Pale Spectrum, but I haven't really found any sort of community online where the fanfic might be appreciated by other people that like this game.

At the moment, I'm planning to post it on archiveofourown.org (in a few weeks, once I get "invited" to the site) because fanfiction.net, despite the wealth of content there, is a bit of a pain in the posterior.

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Re: where on the interent would fanworks of indie VNs congregate?

#2 Post by Caveat Lector »

I'm not sure where they would, outside of maybe a small Ao3 community. I do know that the Hanako Games likes to feature fanfic and fanart of their games, and sometimes contests.

Personally, I think it'd be an awesome idea if we shared fanworks of each other's VN's! We could always start up a website for fanworks specifically about VN's and indie projects, maybe?
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

4love

#3 Post by 4love »

Caveat Lector wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:49 pmI do know that the Hanako Games likes to feature fanfic and fanart of their games, and sometimes contests.
I will have to check that out, definitely. I can imagine someone adding the little death to Elodie's long list of possible deaths!

TheJerminator15
Regular
Completed: A Sedentary Fist
Projects: Manipulation, Switch Swap, Unnamed Project
itch: jamsandwich

#4 Post by TheJerminator15 »

I mean once I finally release my project, I'd be more than willing to promote fanworks and such.
My Current Writing Project: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=37699
Manipulation Teaser Demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzJ4E ... zV6TWVaclk

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

4love wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:52 pm
Caveat Lector wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:49 pmI do know that the Hanako Games likes to feature fanfic and fanart of their games, and sometimes contests.
I will have to check that out, definitely. I can imagine someone adding the little death to Elodie's long list of possible deaths!
I occasionally post links to people's fanart/fanfic but I wouldn't say that they congregate in my places. I sometimes hear things from others that let me know that fandom goes on elsewhere that I'm not looking, I don't know WHERE all of it is! I have seen things turn up on ao3 and fanfiction.net (more ao3 really) and art of course hits tumblr/deviantart but once in a while I find things in very strange places, or find only REFERENCES to things and can't find the things themselves. (Like when you find an avatar that's clearly cropped from some art but you can't find the original). I have once found an actual LLTQ fangame, made in renpy but never posted here... I think I saw it on livejournal or something.

Fans are hard to keep track of.