Asylum Jam - a horror game jam, Nov. 3rd - 6th!

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
allurious
Regular

Asylum Jam - a horror game jam, Nov. 3rd - 6th!

#1 Post by allurious »

Asylum Jam is back for a fifth year running this weekend - so if you're hankering to jam out a horror game, finished or prototype, this is a great opportunity!

What is Asylum Jam?

I've posted about it here before, and we've had quite a few VNs in the past - Asylum Jam is a 48-hour game jam that has been running since 2013, where game developers are challenged to create a horror game within the time limit outside of negative mental health stereotypes. Over the years, hundreds of games have been made and then played/shared by our wonderful network of content creators (YouTubers and streamers), and we're looking forward to our fifth year being even bigger.

What are the rules? What can I put in my game?

The one rule we've used in the past is, You should not use asylums, psychiatric institutes, medical professionals or violent/antipathic/’insane’ patients as settings or triggers. Basically, avoid demonising mental illness and the support structures/locations around it. Conversely, creating a game that treats mental illness in a respectful manner has been something jammers have asked to do in the past from their personal experiences and is also fine. It would be prudent to avoid 'gamifying' aspects of mental health as well (i.e. having sanity as a depletable/replenishable resource).

The jam page is live here, and kickoff is November 3rd!

Thanks for reading, and hope to see you there. \o/