How do you find motivation

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Griff

How do you find motivation

#1 Post by Griff »

I have an idea for a visual novel, how do I actually get myself to make it? I'd love to hear how people find motivation to complete projects. I'm afraid of starting and never finishing.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How do you find motivation

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

I don't need to find motivation, instead I need to find time. Maybe we can make a trade >.^
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Divona
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: The Falconers: Moonlight
Organization: Bionic Penguin
itch: bionicpenguin

#3 Post by Divona »

Find team members who will keep constantly nagging you to get out of bed and finish the project. Joke aside, when you're in a team environment, it's not just you now but a whole team to see the project through. Most important thing, though, is to step one foot into the door, or one step up the ladder. Once the base has been established, you can keep at it until you reach the goal.

Extra: You can plan the journey ahead during pre-production, create a blueprint (GDD) and production schedule for the visual novel, talk to the team, it will make journey ahead easier than improvises whole way through without clear destination.
Completed:

Griff

#4 Post by Griff »

I think I'll make a really detailed blueprint for it first. :) Is there a specific tool to help you do that or should I just type on like a google doc or something?

Griff

#5 Post by Griff »

Okay I started to write out the characters and the basic set up but I still think I won't finish it

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#6 Post by SundownKid »

The answer to this is, it depends on how personally dedicated you are as an artist. It's the difference between "eh, I might try it out for fun" and "I *want* to make this game and I won't stop trying until I do". Outlining a game is still in the first phase. Some people never get past the first phase, but the ones who enter the second one can truly be called artists. Either way, it's something only you can decide and no one can truly "give" you the motivation.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#7 Post by Katy133 »

Sometimes I come up with game ideas I "want to have made" and others that I "want to make." There is a big difference. The games I "want to make" will eventually get completed because the act of working on them is really enjoyable (rather than the satisfaction of just finishing it).

I also follow a lot of different artists on social media. Looking at their beautiful art inspires me.

Do a little bit of game development work every day. Write checklists that have small, manageable objectives (instead of writing "finish the game," write, "finish the protagonist's sprite by Monday," etc.). I use the productivity app Habitica to track my goals and completed tasks (it's satisfying and motivating to see how much I've done so far).

Also, taking a step back and taking a break between projects (meaning: You take a break right after finishing project A, before you start project B) may help:
"One reason that people have artist’s block is that they do not respect the law of dormancy in nature. Trees don’t produce fruit all year long, constantly. They have a point where they go dormant. And when you are in a dormant period creatively, if you can arrange your life to do the technical tasks that don’t take creativity, you are essentially preparing for the spring when it will all blossom again."
- Marshall Vandruff
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Mutive
Veteran
Completed: Eidolon, Minion!, Love Furever, Epilogue

#8 Post by Mutive »

Mostly I hate to start something then not finish it. I remind myself that if I don't get the game finished, then I've wasted hundreds of hours so far. That's pretty motivating!

But also, if I find myself struggling to work on something, I ask why. Maybe it's a bad idea. Maybe my heart isn't in it. Maybe I don't want to do whatever it is.

For instance, I HATE lifting weights so I...don't. (I get my workouts through hiking, aerial silks, dance, etc.) If you regularly find yourself struggling to work on a game, maybe it's not for you.
Enjoy Eidolon, my free to play game at: https://mutive.itch.io/eidolon, Minion! at: https://mutive.itch.io/minion or Epilogue at: https://mutive.itch.io/epilogue

klaus_engel
Projects: Just Another Day
Organization: Chapter 901

#9 Post by klaus_engel »

This is going to sound morbid a bit. I adopted the mindset that my life is ending soon, at one day at a time. So it gives me the sense of urgency to get things done. You would be surprised how much you would get done in one day with that mentality in place.
When all of your wishes are granted many of your dreams will be destroyed.

FishyFeathers
Completed: Insidious
Projects: The Witch of Pondgulch

#10 Post by FishyFeathers »

Wow, this is going to be a late reply. But I think it's an interesting question and I like seeing how other people stay motivated, too!
For me I think a lot of it has to do with how I think about the project. The projects I've managed to finish are the ones where I was able to change how I defined the project to myself. Rather than thinking "I want to make this game" or "I will make this game", I try to change the wording to "I am making this game." Because you are, right? That' what you've decided to do. And when you think of it as something that is happening at the moment, it's a lot easier to get yourself up to the task of working on it. Qualifying it with "want" and "will" removes you from the project mentally and does you a disservice as a creator :)

milksoda

#11 Post by milksoda »

When I lose motivation, I think about the people that are looking forward to seeing my projects, especially my friends. Their motivations really help pull me out of my worst blocks.

catfriend3000
Completed: This is This and That is That

#12 Post by catfriend3000 »

I'm very late, but with projects (VNs, writing, etc) I tend to talk to about it with people who aren't involved with the process. Especially when I feel motivation going away. People are genuinely interested when they hear you're doing something creative and unfamiliar to them (as VNs are for most of my friends). This really helps me stay motivated because they'll ask questions that I might not have answers for yet, but it will make me think about my project in a new way, which always makes me want to get back into it. And sometimes these friends will hold you accountable for finishing this because they want to see it. It's not as strict as project deadlines can be, but it makes you want to finish it to show it around. A few years late, but I hope you've found an answer ^.^

WonderingB

#13 Post by WonderingB »

Griff wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:41 pm I have an idea for a visual novel, how do I actually get myself to make it? I'd love to hear how people find motivation to complete projects. I'm afraid of starting and never finishing.
I think it's not about motivation. It's about discipline.

Elta
Regular
Tumblr: limitelta
Deviantart: limitelta
itch: limitelta

#14 Post by Elta »

Motivation is important... but sometimes it really is about discipline. You can't hold on to motivation and expect that to carry you all the way though a project that is really hard. I'm saying this as someone that has done just that for years.... Needless to say I was jumping from project to project and never finished anything. I see now that that's a sure way to feel dissatisfied. Motivation only lasts so long, then it often comes back after a while if you push though the hard times, but it will never finish the project all the way.

The other thing that helps, is the idea of "finished, not perfect." In other words, do a good job, but don't try to make everything perfect... because that will just drain any motivation you do have and make it impossible to continue. Getting things done is more important then making things perfect. After all, a game that is perfect but unfinished... isn't as fun as one that isn't as amazing, but finished.

felix
Regular
Completed: Before the Faire
Organization: No Time To Play
Tumblr: no-time-to-play
Github: notimetoplay
itch: notimetoplay

#15 Post by felix »

Pick a subject matter you care about. Don't just set out to make whatever. That works for small one-off projects; with a visual novel, you're usually in for the long haul. So make sure you really, really want to see it finished.

Edit: Elta is also right. The difference between motivation and discipline is like the difference between lust and love: the former can feed a summer romance, but only the latter can keep you next to your partner for a lifetime.

(And yes, avoid perfectionism too; it's a trap!)