Secret Santa 2017

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
bosinpai
Regular

Secret Santa 2017

#1 Post by bosinpai »

Hey, Secret Santa was pretty fun last year, plus it's a motivating way to create something small and unique :D
Who wants to participate?
Secret Santa Identikit
Secret Santa Identikit
For those new to this, here's how it works. You leave a comment or send me a PM about what you want. Then, on December 1, you'll receive the name of who you're playing Secret Santa for and what they want. At that point, it's your job to give that lucky person the gift they've always wanted (or, at the very least, the closest thing to it!).

Let's make sure no one goes without a present this Christmas.

The past organizers were happy with me coordinating the event this time, so following the sound rules of 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016...here's the break-down:

1) Submit your wishlist. (November 18 - November 30)
You can send me a PM or comment here. If you like, you can mention multiple items. Do you want a poem? Do you want a piece of art, fanfic, or music? Just say it!

If you don't have anything specific in mind, you can make it vague. Maybe there's a particular character you want to see or a genre you like. Whatever it is, mention it and see what happens. Dreams can come true.
If the request is fandom-related, please provide a basic reference for the characters or source material.
Deadline is December 1 at noon GMT.

2) Check in with Your Work! (December 2 - December 23)
I will PM everyone the name of their partner and their wishlist. Please try your best to complete your present before December 25! This will spare you the stress of rushing to finish and your partner the possibility of receiving nothing. Don't let that happen to you!
The present can be in any form (if your requester didn't specify them):
- Arts : Fanarts, comics, video, animations, wallpapers, etc.
- Writing : Fanfiction, short story, review, poems, etc.
- Musics : BGM, theme song, lyrics, etc.
- Programming : Short fangame, gui, etc.
- or anything else, get creative!
3) Get Your Present! (December 23 - 25)
It's time to play Santa! You're free to post it here or PM your partner personally. December 25 is your deadline. If you haven't received anything by December 30, let me know ASAP.

Mini-FAQ

Are you having trouble fulfilling your request? Just tell me. I will check in with your partner and ask whether they can tweak their wishlist. Don't forget to tell me what you're good at doing (i.e. writing, drawing, programming, and so on). If there's anything you're uncertain about (the requester's phrasing, perhaps), talk to me. I'll bring it up with your partner and see if we can't get that little misunderstanding straightened out.

How are participants paired? As in the previous years, we'll use xavimat's randomizer to be fair and keep the magic of pure randomness ;) If you feel you can't fulfill your partner's wishlist, as said above, contact me and we'll seek a fix (e.g. switch from a fanart to a fanfic) - though you could also take this opportunity to try something out of your comfort zone. Participants' skills will be useful in case of conflicts (drop out, etc.) but will not be used for the pairing.

Expect a PM from me once a week, starting December 3. I'll ask about your Secret Santa progress every Sunday evening. But there's no pressure! I just want to hear if everything's going well or if you're in need of any help. But if I don't receive a reply, I'll have to give you another shout-out a few days later. If I don't get an answer after the third time, I'll have no choice but to assume you dropped out.

Do you want to be a back-up Secret Santa? Please do! I would be so grateful. Just send me a PM.

You finished your present in time but can't get into the forums by December 25. It's not a problem! Send it to me. I'll hand it over to your partner for you.

If you want to let me know about your progress, just post here. I only ask that you make a new post to make it easy to track.

Do you want to drop out? Send me a PM. Like I said, I don't want anyone going empty-handed on Christmas. I or a back-up Secret Santa will handle it!

In short, do your best to finish in time! If you run into any troubles, send me a PM. Most importantly, enjoy yourself. Have yourselves a Merry Christmas!

WISHLIST
Yomuchan wrote:Wishlist, eh? I figure it'll be the the same as last year: fan art of Ayano-chan:
http://i.imgur.com/YtwtpnX.jpg
Also, I've improved my design skills this year.
runadial wrote:
  • A Sengoku Night Blood fanfiction between Yuzuki (MC) and whoever, preferably Shigezane or
  • a cute or funny group fanart illustration of the Mori Clan (originals on their website.)
  • A fanfiction of Cinderella Phenomenon, either Lucette x Mythros or Lucette x Fritz / Varg.
My skills lie mostly in writing - either script, reviewing something, songwriting (kind of), or prose/fanfiction - and some very basic programming, though I'm not too confident in this, and I can't do GUI coding yet.
Harick wrote: I'd like a drawing of Deku https://pm1.narvii.com/6101/6399e9f1186 ... 441_hq.jpg
from My Hero Academia, preferably in his gamma costume https://orig00.deviantart.net/e35f/f/20 ... b2qxwu.jpg
though I'm happy with anything with Deku in it.

I want to say I'm a fairly decent artist
Ferdokki wrote: For my wishlist, I'd like either a dark fantasy-esque or noir-type art piece, anything of the creator's choice, as simple or detailed as they want. OR I'd also be happy with a music piece, maybe something at least 30 seconds long, can be an original song or a remix of something.

My skills (in terms of making presents for others) lie primarily in writing and art. I can do some digital art/coloring/Photoshop as well.
bosinpai wrote: Here's my wishlist:
  • A short and funny story/script that I could turn into a VN
  • A background for a bar scene (could be like this one)
  • A piece of elevator music
I'm a jack-of-all-trades but these days I like to practice my drawing skills.
Anihime wrote: Hmm... let's see... For me I'd like:

-A fancomic or wallpaper featuring Shadow the Hedgehog from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. (For the comic, I want something nice, heartwarming, and SFW. For the wallpaper, nothing graphic or violent. I want something cool but nothing scary.)

-A short story fanfiction about Sebastian from Stardew Valley. Something sweet and heartwarming, full of charm without being overdramatic or cheesy, and it can be centered around a holiday. :) Also needs to be SFW.

-A GUI for visual novel purposes (as I'd like to start on a VN myself one day). I'd like something involving flowers and magic. Something beautiful and light-hearted with a few flowers as the main focus (sunflower, petunia, lily, daffodil, and crocus). Be as creative as you want to be!

-A theme song (doesn't need to have lyrics) and/or fanart for a Youtube channel called JoyChargedGamerz (my fiancé is a part of the channel, he's called 'Brownie'! XD ).

My skills lie mostly in writing.
Rukuai wrote: My wishlist would be...
A cute piece of art of the slime bunny from the game Bullet Heaven 2 (older reference character style here),
or alternatively, an art piece of the medicine seller from the TV show Mononoke.

Either one is fine!
I can draw pretty well.
Last edited by bosinpai on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Yomuchan
Regular
Projects: Codename: NSD!
Organization: Forkheads
IRC Nick: Yomu
Deviantart: Yomuchan
itch: yomuchan.itch.io

Re: Secret Santa 2017

#2 Post by Yomuchan »

As always, I'm in.

bosinpai
Regular

#3 Post by bosinpai »

Added runadial!
Also clarified how the pairing is done, after discussing with past organizers.

Anihime
Deviantart: AnimeFanatic02

#4 Post by Anihime »

I just joined the forums but I've never taken part in a forum run Secret Santa event before. I'd like to participate if that's possible.

We can post our wishlists here, right? Hmm... let's see... For me I'd like:

-A fancomic or wallpaper featuring Shadow the Hedgehog from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. (For the comic, I want something nice, heartwarming, and SFW. For the wallpaper, nothing graphic or violent. I want something cool but nothing scary.)

-A short story fanfiction about Sebastian from Stardew Valley. Something sweet and heartwarming, full of charm without being overdramatic or cheesy, and it can be centered around a holiday. :) Also needs to be SFW.

-A GUI for visual novel purposes (as I'd like to start on a VN myself one day). I'd like something involving flowers and magic. Something beautiful and light-hearted with a few flowers as the main focus (sunflower, petunia, lily, daffodil, and crocus). Be as creative as you want to be!

-A theme song (doesn't need to have lyrics) and/or fanart for a Youtube channel called JoyChargedGamerz (my fiancé is a part of the channel, he's called 'Brownie'! XD ).

And that's it for my wishlist.

bosinpai
Regular

#5 Post by bosinpai »

Sure, you can participate, I myself first participated to my first Secret Santa here very soon after I joined :)
I added you to the list.

You'll be a secret santa for somebody on this thread too so make sure you reserve time in December to make the gift!
(or let me know real quick if anything goes wrong!)

Anihime

#6 Post by Anihime »

Will do! :)

Oh! I forgot to mention my skills! *facepalms* My skills lie mostly in writing. Sorry for forgetting to mention it. ^^;;

bosinpai
Regular

#7 Post by bosinpai »

24h left for participating!

Rukuai
Deviantart: Rukuai

#8 Post by Rukuai »

I would like to join in!
My wishlist would be...
A cute piece of art of the slime bunny from the game Bullet Heaven 2 ( older reference character style here),

or alternatively, an art piece of the medicine seller from the TV show Mononoke.

Either one is fine!
I can draw pretty well.

bosinpai
Regular

#9 Post by bosinpai »

Alright, I've PM'd everyone and told who they're playing Secret Santa for!
If you didn't receive it for whatever reason, please let me know.
I'll be polling everyone this Sunday, but you're welcome to post about your progress in this thread :)

bosinpai
Regular

#10 Post by bosinpai »

I was Ferdokki's Secret Santa!
Ferdokki wrote: For my wishlist, I'd like either a dark fantasy-esque or noir-type art piece, anything of the creator's choice, as simple or detailed as they want.
This inspired me to try a mix of both :)
We meet at last, my nemesis!
We meet at last, my nemesis!
Merry Christmas Ferdokki!

bosinpai
Regular

#11 Post by bosinpai »

Second post - because organizing a Secret Santa is full of unexpected events!
When a certain Secret Santa went MIA (Missing In Action), I had to call a Backup Secret Santa so a gift could be made in time:
Rabbit Signal!
Rabbit Signal!
Sadly right after this impressive entry, Backup Secret Santa crashed on the ground, got confused by a last ambiguous mail from MIA santa, and eventually got sick - and only a few days before the deadline!

In the end I had to stand-in myself for Harick!
Harick wrote: I'd like a drawing of Deku https://pm1.narvii.com/6101/6399e9f1186 ... 441_hq.jpg
from My Hero Academia, preferably in his gamma costume https://orig00.deviantart.net/e35f/f/20 ... b2qxwu.jpg
though I'm happy with anything with Deku in it.
Here's your gift Harick!
A Green message from Deku
A Green message from Deku
(and thanks for making me discover My Hero Academia ;))
Last edited by bosinpai on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anihime

#12 Post by Anihime »

I was Yomuchan's Secret Santa!
Yomuchan wrote:Wishlist, eh? I figure it'll be the the same as last year: fan art of Ayano-chan:
http://i.imgur.com/YtwtpnX.jpg
So... here it is:

https://animefanatic02.deviantart.com/a ... -721192895

My drawing isn't that great and I feel like I could've done SO much better. ^^;; I didn't have a scanner so I had to take a picture of the drawing on my phone, then uploaded it to DeviantArt; I apologize if it looks weird. ^^;; Other than that, I really enjoyed this Secret Santa event! :D Hope everybody has a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year! XD

Harick
Veteran

#13 Post by Harick »

Oh neato, thanks bosinpai! I like it!

I sent my thingy to Rukuai and they apparently liked it so I'm just gonna put this here too
Attachments
potionseller.png

Yomuchan
Regular
Projects: Codename: NSD!
Organization: Forkheads
IRC Nick: Yomu
Deviantart: Yomuchan
itch: yomuchan.itch.io

#14 Post by Yomuchan »

I am bosinpai's secret santa! Not even IRL can stop me!
bosinpai wrote: Here's my wishlist:
  • A short and funny story/script that I could turn into a VN
  • A background for a bar scene (could be like this one)
  • A piece of elevator music
I'm a jack-of-all-trades but these days I like to practice my drawing skills.
I ended up making a short manzai adventure starring Yotsuba, but the script is on another computer, so for now, please make do with present #2.
Really bad bar!

Also, I found this on my project folder and for like weeks on end I had no idea why I had drawn it...
Rukuai wrote: My wishlist would be...
A cute piece of art of the slime bunny from the game Bullet Heaven 2 (older reference character style here),
Dohoho...

bosinpai
Regular

#15 Post by bosinpai »

Thanks a lot Yomuchan!
This made me realize that a bar scene may happen in a tavern but also in a lounge.
Nice perspective too :)

I can't wait for the script!