Research paper about LGBT+ representation in visual novels

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
eZombo
Regular
Soundcloud: eerron
itch: ezombo

Research paper about LGBT+ representation in visual novels

#1 Post by eZombo »

Hi, as part of my studies I'm writing a research paper about LGBT+ representation in Visual Novels (with a focus on homosexuality).
Right now I'm looking for a few LGBT+ folks who are willing to be interviewed about their thoughts and experiences on the matter.

Later down the line I might also do a quantitative online survey to check the results on a broader scale but for now I'm mainly focusing on the interviews.
If you're interested, there's a bit more information here along with a form to apply.
I would really appreciate the help as I'd like to see the genre become more inclusive, so I think examining the current state of things and how to improve it is worthwhile.

BunnyAdvocate
Regular
Tumblr: BunnyAdvocate

Re: Research paper about LGBT+ representation in visual novels

#2 Post by BunnyAdvocate »

Oh if you're interested in some quantitative analysis, I've done some analysis on VN trends using the tag and character trait data on vndb (see here for my blog).

I'm just in the middle of writing one such analysis at the moment using graph clustering. Here is a graph showing how frequently tags appear together in EVNs, where you can see that dark skinned characters are strongly linked only to female protagonists, not male ones. Intersectionality at work perhaps?

I've also been looking at how much the VN fanbase as a whole can be broken down into separate groups. Here is a graph showing the fan overlap on the top ~400 VNs on vndb. Over on the left there is the otome and yaoi clusters, showing that fans of such VNs don't tend to read much outside of that, and fans of more common JVNs very rarely read them. You also have clustering over murder mystery type stories, nukige VNs, and various types of gameplay.

I'd be happy to discuss all this in more detail if you're interested, just let me know~

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#3 Post by Caveat Lector »

Probably won't participate, but if you're looking for any extra resources to consult, I can highly recommend Queerly Represent Me's database: https://queerlyrepresent.me/

Type in "Visual Novel" and see where that takes you. However, even that can be limited in that some of the entries simply say "such and such occurs", and not all of them delve deeper into the emotional reaction and connection behind these characters. Some entries do go on to list how users responded to certain games in a past survey, or link to articles about said reactions to more depth. Be sure to take those in mind along with the data you collect, and see what the common thread is.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

eZombo
Regular
Soundcloud: eerron
itch: ezombo

#4 Post by eZombo »

BunnyAdvocate wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:29 pm I'd be happy to discuss all this in more detail if you're interested, just let me know~
Hey thanks, that data looks really interesting! My current approach is mostly focusing on qualitative data since I also want to look into the effects representation can have on folks but I'll keep it in mind! Ideally I'd love to compare my results with quantitative data but for now I'm taking this step for step :'D
Caveat Lector wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:12 pm Probably won't participate, but if you're looking for any extra resources to consult, I can highly recommend Queerly Represent Me's database: https://queerlyrepresent.me/
Thanks for the resource! This looks helpful :D