Do you like military?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
leviathanimation
Regular
Completed: Tyrania visual novel
Projects: Making multiple animations
Deviantart: leviathanimation
itch: leviathanimation

Do you like military?

#1 Post by leviathanimation »

I had a little dispute with some people I know concerning preferences of genre (nothing too serious). So the dispute was between the genres of fantasy (magic, spells, etc) and sci-fi (more in the terms of military). I noticed most people prefer fantasy-based settings, like for example descripting a complicated race of creatures, the culture of a kingdom, the system of casting magic and spells, blablabla, but I was always fascinated by militaries and war. So my question is simple, does anyone here enjoys army stuff more than fantasy? If you were to read a VN that descripes tanks, bomber-aircrafts and such, would it interest you? (unfortunately I don't include mecha, I'm really talking about conventional war).

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

Re: Do you like military?

#2 Post by Mammon »

The question should never be whether others like the military, rather than that you like it. If you say you prefer it over fantasy, then the preference of others should never prioritise over yours. That will just result in you coming up with a story only to be reviewed as 'bland' or 'cliche' because you didn't really liked making up the lore and such. Also fantasy does have a rather formatted way to it that can easily cause such a thing. If you prefer military and want to do military stuff instead, you'll probably make more enjoyable products from that. (Both for yourself during development and for hte readers during release. And especially the former plays a crucial factor in whether you'll actually finish it.)

I personally can go both ways. Neither holds a distinct preference over the other, it's more important that it's done well. If you come up with more interesting tank designs that can be just as amazing as races and magic, and more importantly if you can hype up their power and such enough, it will be just as good or better. Go for the story that you can do the most with.
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#3 Post by SundownKid »

I know there's a subset of people who like military fiction, but I don't really like it unless it has some element of sci-fi/fantasy. I do like playing video games with a modern combat setting, but just reading about it isn't really my cup of tea - maybe because I don't really like war in real life and how pointless it is.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#4 Post by Scribbles »

you can have military style story elements in any genre, unless you specifically like an era of real military tech.

I personally don't like military heavy stuff, but that's because my husbands in it, and i'm sick to death of it LOL
Image - Image -Image

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

#5 Post by Caveat Lector »

I'm more interested in fiction that explores the ethics behind the facets of war than I am in something that straight-out glorifies it, and that applies to just about any setting. Works like Spec Ops: The Line or This War of Mine (to use prominent videogame examples).

On the fantasy end, I also like how Avatar: The Last Airbender explores concepts of war and violence, and does so with a surprising amount of nuance and subtlety for a show aimed at a young demographic (that said, however, part of me DOES also feel that the final battle was a huge cop-out, in part because it pulled a sudden move that had NOT been foreshadowed before this point). So it all really depends on how you execute this one element, not simply using the element by itself.
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

leviathanimation
Regular

#6 Post by leviathanimation »

Caveat Lector wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:25 pm I'm more interested in fiction that explores the ethics behind the facets of war than I am in something that straight-out glorifies it, and that applies to just about any setting. Works like Spec Ops: The Line or This War of Mine (to use prominent videogame examples).

On the fantasy end, I also like how Avatar: The Last Airbender explores concepts of war and violence, and does so with a surprising amount of nuance and subtlety for a show aimed at a young demographic (that said, however, part of me DOES also feel that the final battle was a huge cop-out, in part because it pulled a sudden move that had NOT been foreshadowed before this point). So it all really depends on how you execute this one element, not simply using the element by itself.
Interesting point! Thank you very much :)

leviathanimation
Regular

#7 Post by leviathanimation »

Mammon wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:10 am The question should never be whether others like the military, rather than that you like it. If you say you prefer it over fantasy, then the preference of others should never prioritise over yours. That will just result in you coming up with a story only to be reviewed as 'bland' or 'cliche' because you didn't really liked making up the lore and such. Also fantasy does have a rather formatted way to it that can easily cause such a thing. If you prefer military and want to do military stuff instead, you'll probably make more enjoyable products from that. (Both for yourself during development and for hte readers during release. And especially the former plays a crucial factor in whether you'll actually finish it.)

I personally can go both ways. Neither holds a distinct preference over the other, it's more important that it's done well. If you come up with more interesting tank designs that can be just as amazing as races and magic, and more importantly if you can hype up their power and such enough, it will be just as good or better. Go for the story that you can do the most with.
Wow never thought of it that way... but I do agree that I should do something that I enjoy first :) Thank you for your comment!

tinaKipps

#8 Post by tinaKipps »

Hello ^^ I'd say I'm interested in a good story most importantly regardless of genre, creating that is easier said than done tho. I'm working on a game doing a fantasy military theme (so not strictly a military story) and I think there's a group of people that are into it to certain degrees and trying to please every category of people into it would probably make a worse game.
I agree with Mammon tho that you should go with what you enjoy the most as it'll show in your work.

Fuseblower
Regular
Projects: Mall Macabre, Slushball Slasher, Doomed Diner, Tenkeiteki Tokyo
itch: fuseblower

#9 Post by Fuseblower »

I'd love to play a visual novel from the viewpoint of a WW2 commander. Regular strategy games don't really have a story, it's just moving units around like in a chess game, whereas books with the memoirs of commanders offer great stories (like Erwin Rommel's "The Rommel Papers" or Heinz Guderian's "Panzer Leader").

From the viewpoint of the commander (in WW2) there is very little information. There might be (incomplete) maps. There is radio communication (which might break down). The commander might not even know where his own troops are. All the commander can do is second guessing his opponent, actively reconnoitre and intelligently order and deploy his troops.

As for descriptions of the military hardware : I think it would be more interesting if the qualities or shortcomings of it are revealed in the course of the game.