♥ ♠ Ace Jam ♠ ♥ (January 1st-31st) - game jam about putting asexual characters in primary roles

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Metaparadox
itch: metaparadox

♥ ♠ Ace Jam ♠ ♥ (January 1st-31st) - game jam about putting asexual characters in primary roles

#1 Post by Metaparadox »

♥ ♠ ACE JAM ♠ ♥
(January 1st-31st, 2018)

Hi LSF! I recently decided to start a game jam that is very suited to visual novel devs, so I thought I'd post about it here! I recently took part in a few queer themed jams, during which I came up with the idea to host a jam specifically about making games with asexual spectrum characters in primary roles, where their asexuality is made explicit in the game’s text.

So I created Ace Jam! It will run during the month of January next year, though if you’d like to participate, you can start whenever you’d like. This is a low pressure game jam with no winners, losers or rankings, and people of all skill levels are welcome! You don't have to be asexual to join, just care about ace representation in games! There are some rules though, so be sure to read through them on the jam page.

While this is a relatively newbie-friendly jam, what is expected of you is that you have done your research on asexuality and portray it respectfully. Real asexual people the world over are impacted by any new representation of their orientation, and any representation could be someone's first intro to asexuality. If you don't feel like your grasp on the subject of asexuality is sufficient (and even if you do!), please check out the list of links on the jam page. If you don't know the difference between asexual, aromantic, and agender or aren't willing to look it up on your own, this may not be the jam for you.

If you come across this post after the game jam is over, check out the page to see the great games that have been submitted!

Downloads: http://metaparadox.itch.io/
Finished Games: We Met Once, Perhaps in a Dream (8k words)
WIPs: Camp Ravenrock; Over Water, Under Hill; The A-List; Femme Story

Caveat Lector
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Colette and Becca
Projects: Rainbow Love (HIATUS), The Haunting of Blackbird School, Cry of the Roses [TBA]
Organization: Velveteen Rabbit Productions
Deviantart: Velveteen-Rabbit-CL
itch: caveat_lector

Re: ♥ ♠ Ace Jam ♠ ♥ (January 1st-31st) - game jam about putting asexual characters in primary roles

#2 Post by Caveat Lector »

Mind if I link to this on twitter or elsewhere? I might know some people who'd be interested in taking part!
Reader Beware!

The Haunting of Blackbird School: In Progress

Colette and Becca: Complete

Metaparadox

Re: ♥ ♠ Ace Jam ♠ ♥ (January 1st-31st) - game jam about putting asexual characters in primary roles

#3 Post by Metaparadox »

Caveat Lector wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:06 pm Mind if I link to this on twitter or elsewhere? I might know some people who'd be interested in taking part!
Go ahead and promote it wherever you'd like! I've got a tweet about it pinned @ParadoxRevealed if you'd like to retweet.

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#4 Post by Morhighan »

This is exciting! I can't wait to see what comes out of this jam.

Harick
Veteran

#5 Post by Harick »

Ooh, neat! Being asexual myself I've wanted to make a game with an ace protagonist for a long time but the VN I'm making kinda needs a straight protagonist. Maybe I'll join since I'm kinda stuck at my main project anyway, I just need an idea I can work with

Ibitz
Regular
Projects: Magical Disarray (WIP)
Organization: Ibitz Visual Novels
Deviantart: http://ibitz.deviant
itch: ibitz

#6 Post by Ibitz »

Good idea! Hopefully it'll shine light on those of us who are asexual and will let others learn that we're not freaks, we're not abnormal, and that we just want to live life and be loved/needed like everyone else. If my sister hadn't taken sex education studies in college, I'd probably never have found out I was asexual. I hope this idea helps out a lot of people who are ACE.

Ibitz is a self-taught coder/artist who works alone on their games. All games I create are freeware. If you need any help with coding or creating your game, just let me know. I'd be more than happy to help.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

#7 Post by Aviala »

I won't be able to take part but I'm so glad this exists! I'm a grey Ace so asexual visibility is really important to me.

磯七ラスミ
Regular
Projects: If Facts Aren't Alibi | 盲点に日光 (Mōten ni Nikkō) | Nest, Treetop | Untail Wire Stretch

#8 Post by 磯七ラスミ »

I think I'm asexual, also I want to write about sex in a non-erotic way so yes, I think it's my chance. I want to see more asexual characters in games too.

Months ago I researched about asexual protagonists at vndb, finding so few asexual relevant characters on VN (you know, it's like how TV Tropes says: It is difficult to showcase a lack of something, so it is understandable that this orientation is often ignored, especially in works with No Hugging, No Kissing. However, this also leads to the common assumption that everyone is interested in sex. Here the page.)

I don't want to feel like missing all the fun so I wish I can add more adult fun for people not interested in sexual stimulation and to promote tolerance too.

Metaparadox

#9 Post by Metaparadox »

磯七ラスミ wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:16 am I think I'm asexual, also I want to write about sex in a non-erotic way so yes, I think it's my chance. I want to see more asexual characters in games too.

Months ago I researched about asexual protagonists at vndb, finding so few asexual relevant characters on VN (you know, it's like how TV Tropes says: It is difficult to showcase a lack of something, so it is understandable that this orientation is often ignored, especially in works with No Hugging, No Kissing. However, this also leads to the common assumption that everyone is interested in sex. Here the page.)

I don't want to feel like missing all the fun so I wish I can add more adult fun for people not interested in sexual stimulation and to promote tolerance too.
You can make a game with sex in it, just be clear in the game page description of the submitted game that the game is NSFW and what type of content is included.

To those who are confused: asexual people don't experience sexual attraction, but may have sex for other reasons.